PubLove @ The Steam Engine, Waterloo Reviews

41-42 Cosser St, London, England

Great place to stay in London!! Sunny and Dani were really nice and helpful :)

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Spain

perfect location near the tourist attractions and having the pub downstairs that will serve you drinks and pizza 24-7 is awesome! the staff was nice and friendly as well which made it a nice place to hang out.

• 6th Feb 2015

Good stay, good recommendation from staff on beer, the chicken gougan was a good bite. Sturdy security and locks and lockers for items.

This hostel gets the job done. The triple bunk beds were an issue - I could feel the mattress springs, and it was precarious climbing into and out of my top bunk 7 feet above the floor. With three triple bunks in a small bedroom, we were crammed in like sardines. However, I still had an overall positive experience. There were enough small lockers for valuables, and the pub downstairs was nice for a late night snack or drink. I wasn't blown away by Steam Engine, but it worked well enough.

Great atmosphere, Sunny, Daniel, Agne and Julieta were great !!

Dan and Juliette were exceptionally helpful, and make great cocktails!

• 18th Jan 2015

The bottom bed is directly on the floor and a lot less space in room 2

• 17th Jan 2015

Is a totally dirty place. It do not have a kitchen for the travelers use. The rooms are totally awful. Do not have lockers for free and you have to buy a towel because they do not rent it. The lockers are too small. You are to buy even the adaptors. The staff is good specially Agne that always have a smile on her face.

Steam Engine was awesome. Everything was excellent. Nice people welcoming customers, nice room, confortable bed, warm room, excellent security. There was Suni, the girl from Spain who was very helpful at all time. I had a gret time at Steam Engine.

Excellent hostel, great friendly staff, close to tube, 24hours opening, free breakfast,would go back

This place was very dirty, to many people in one room, smelled in the rooms, bathrooms were gross, shower light kept turning off in middle of shower, hot water was on for like 1 minute then turned cold. Lockers are small, cannot fit a suitcase. Breakfast was average. Location was alright, 5 minute walk from tube. I think it's a bit overpriced for what you get, I wouldn't stay here again.

Wonderfull staff! Especially David and Julietta! The pub is nice. The rooms and the lockers are too small though, but the atmosphere compensates.

• 28th Dec 2014

Two things that made me love the hostel was the wonderfun staff and the atmosphere of the pub. The staff were always very nice and receptive, helpful and in a great mood! They were always smiling and giving you attention. I loved the atmosphere of the pub, and they have an amazing pizza and appetizers. Though, the rooms and bathrooms are small. As there are just two toilets, sometimes I had to wait "in the line" to use it.

The staff were really nice, I even won a free pizza on check-in. Nice, cozy bar area, clean rooms with lockers, wifi, good game selection, everything you'd need in a hostel really. I felt very secure and it is such a good location being so close to the station. Breakfast is included, and considering it's pretty cheap anyway I thought this was good.

I don't mind sleeping in a bunk bed with heaps of other people. But stuffing 12 people into a room which should only have held 8 at the absolute MOST was dangerous, claustrophobic, and inconvenient. We were constantly tripping over luggage etc. You could not sit upright in the 3-tier beds. If there was a fire, evacuating that room would not have been possible in a safe amount of time. Also, the bathrooms flooded every night, the mattresses were disgusting, and music from the pub below was loud.

The hostel was amazing and the position as well. The staff was helpful and kind: I'd like to say thank you to Julieta who helped me and my friend getting settled and giving us all the advice we needed. I've travelling quite often in hostels and rarely I found such an amazing staff. Thank you for everything. Antonio

The lockers in the rooms and hallway were not big enough for our bags, so we had to leave our stuff unattended in our room, the room was tiny and not clean. The bathroom was so disgusting, the floor was always wet and the sinks and toilets just looked grimy. The staff were nice enough but didn't really seem to know what they were doing. You are not allowed to drink in the rooms but they do not have a common room where this is possible. I would not stay here again.

• 12th Dec 2014

Had a great time staying here at the Steam Engine. The staff are all super friendly particularly Julietta who has got to be the nicest person in all of London.

• 10th Dec 2014

Staff are fantastic,

A very cool hostel, I'd come back here again to stay.