PubLove @ The Steam Engine, Waterloo Reviews

41-42 Cosser St, London, England

Great building and location. The living quarters were a bit cramped. Lockers were advertised, but the beds far outnumbered the lockers.

Bathrooms were almost unusable, no space to look bags, communication with staff was average.

• 22nd Jul 2015

Hi there, Thanks for your review. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We appreciate your words since we take them into account to improve little by little. Take care!

Beds comfy, staff helpful, wifi good. Like a lot of London hostels with pub dowstairs which is good for meeting people, but just no kitchen. Great location and definitely one of the more reasonably priced london hostels.

Overall my stay at the Steam Engine was awesome. The staff were super friendly, the beers on tap were good, the rooms were quiet and comfortable, and the location very central. Would've been nice if there were some kind of kitchen or even a microwave for guests to use--staying in London at the end of a long trip I hadn't the money nor the stomach to buy pub food for every meal. But with the help of very friendly staff, I made it work. Thanks guys!

Hello! Thanks for your nice words, we also enjoyed having you around, even if it was for a short period of time. Take care! :)

the location was good, 5 mins walk away from the eye, the staff was friendly and the atmosphere was nice thanks to the pub downstairs, but as for security, no one checked on you when you walked in, there are codes on the doors but someone can easily just key them in, there are no facilities other then the bathrooms where there was mold on the ceiling and mushrooms growing on floor. there were 3 level bunk beds with no room to even sit.

Hello, Thanks for your review. Our code security method is changed in a regular basis and we try our best to keep guests safe. Regarding the toilet facilities we are trying to keep them to the highest standard and since we realized the mold appeared we are making it dissapear. I am sorry if you found it in its worst conditions, Due to the heat wave it's more common to appear. Apologies if your stay here didn't meet your expectations. Take care!

Great staff! I cannot express that enough. The bathrooms were very gross when I was there. Make sure you bring shower shoes. There was a large mushroom growing in one of the shower stalls. The rest of the facility was nice though. The food downstairs was fantastic and you get a 10% discount since you're staying there. I would go back, I would just remember to bring shower shoes next time.

• 3rd Jul 2015

Dear Guest, Thanks for your review, we were happy to have had you around. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and accept our apology for the toilets. In the very first moment we saw it we got rid of it and disinfect the area. Because of the warm weather and vapor of the showers it creates a very humid atmosphere. Once again, we do apologize for that and we are happy to tell you that we are keeping a close look to this kind of incident. Take care!

Everything was great except the bathrooms. The mold and mushrooms growing on the floor by the showers we were not fans of. Staff was super helpful and Awseome !

• 3rd Jul 2015

Hi there, thanks for your review! We are glad you enjoyed staying with us as we also enjoyed having you with us! We do apologize for the conditions of the toilets, due to the warm weather and humidity of the shower it has been difficult to keep it immaculate, it is something never happened before, reason why we are keeping a close look to have it under control. Again,w e are sorry! Happy travels!

Nice staff, location is pretty good. Bed rooms and bathrooms clean. Worth the stay

• 29th Jun 2015

Hi there, thanks for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us :) Happy travels!

It's more of a pub than hostel. The common area is basically the pub. Beds were comfortable. Staff were friendly. Bathrooms were open to the hallway but the toilet stalls had doors. Wasn't the greatest atmosphere, I personally wouldnt stay here again.

Staff was great. Bathrooms were not so great. Only two showers and four bathrooms for quite a few people. The pub downstairs was fun and they had great pizza!

Hi there, thanks for leaving a review for us. We were glad to have you around! But we are sorry that the toilets did not meet your expectations. All type of feedback helps us to go on the right track. Take care!

Beds were very uncomfortable, overall good hostel on a low budget close to tourist attractions and easy to get to the metro.

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. We are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us but sorry that you didn't find the bed comfy enough! We are in process to change the whole of the mattresses. Happy travels and take care.

Worst hostel I've stayed ever! First of all they didn't have our group reservation, made no attempt to do something about the situation, given that the reservation was already paid. After dividing us and relocating us in other hostels, the worst part was that after a 3 night stay booking, they changed my bed 3 times, because they kept giving my bed away. No one would be accounted responsible for the situation, very poor staff organization, wouldn't stay there again.

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review. We are extremely sorry for the situation you experienced in our hostel. We do apologize if we had to transfer the other guests to another hostel since it was a booking system problem we could not physically host you all in here, reason why we did our best to allocate you in the nearest of our other hostels. Take care and accept our apologies again.

its location and atmosphere were super great. the room was small but it didn't bother me a lot. and the staff, Fabio is so great and funny guy. he makes me feel not alone. i could walk to the Bigben, London eye. it's very easy to look around. i've already missed this place ;)

• 16th Jun 2015
  • South Korea

hi there! thanks for your review and for your nice words. We hope you can come and visit us again! Take care.

In a good area of London. Beds were really uncomfortable. Food from the pub was really nice. Good if you're just needing somewhere to sleep, it isn't too loud outside. Probably wouldn't stay here again

Hi there, thanks for your review and for staying with us! We are sorry that your bed was not very comfy, we are in process to change our mattresses in the soon future. Happy travels!

The hostel was situated in a perfect location close to many tourist attractions. This is the main reason I booked to stay here. As for the room, it was a tiny room with 12 beds stacked 3 high. There were only 4 outlets in the entire room so this was a problem as I needed my phone to navigate through the city. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was not too clean so I decided to not use them. The downstairs pub was nice and had some food for purchase.

Dear Guest, We are glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere and the location of our hostel but sorry that some of the facilities did not please you. We have a smaller type of room that you can book in case 12 people seems too much to share the room with. I am sorry that our toilets did not reach your standards, but we will take your comment into account to improve our services. Take care!

The staff were wonderfully warm and welcoming, they were polite and eager to help in any way they could. The linens and bed sheets were pristine and fresh which made for a good sleep.The Steam Engine was situated in a really convenient location only meters away from a tube station - I was able to get from the front door of the hostel to Piccadilly Circus via the tube in 15 minutes. I'm really happy with everything, although the showering facilities could be updated...aside from that, brilliant!

• 14th Jun 2015

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write down a review for us. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Steamy. We are trying to improve our showering standards. Always appreciate the feedback so thank you for the review! Take care and hopefully we see you again!

The staff was great, they have good beer, and it was really cheap. If I was in a group, it might prove a better place to stay, but for the solo traveler I do not revommd it. this place is a bar with a hostel in it, not a hostel with a bar in it. This was probably the most uncomfortable stay in a hostel that I've had. The bed springs jut into your back, the floor to the shower is always wet, 2 SHOWERS/BATHROOMS FOR 36 GUESTS? I also found the regulars at the bar to be quite creepy.

Hi there, Thanks for leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear that our hostel did not meet your expectations. It is true that we do not have many showers, but the waiting time is normally very short. In the bar we get a variety of customers and we are sorry that you did not feel comfortable within this atmosphere. Thanks for sharing with us your opinion as it helps us to progress. Take care!

We ended up staying at this hostel twice and it wasn't too bad. It is very small, not a lot of space in the rooms. The beds are quite uncomfortable and the bottom bunks are right down on the floor. There are only two bathrooms upstairs. Staff were friendly but there was a bit of confusion with double booking beds and moving people around. Good location, right near Lambeth North Station and the London Eye. The food downstairs is good (pizza especially) Free wifi is also good (strong connection)

The hostel is very well located. Quiet inside the room, not noisy during the night, live pub with excellent burgers on the weekend downstairs. The staff is helpful and nice. Do not expect much from the breakfast if you sleep till late since there are lots of young people staying.

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, we are really glad that you enjoyed staying with us :) Take care and happy travels

Very bvery good very very nice