PubLove @ The Steam Engine, Waterloo Reviews

41-42 Cosser St, London, England

Great staff! I cannot express that enough. The bathrooms were very gross when I was there. Make sure you bring shower shoes. There was a large mushroom growing in one of the shower stalls. The rest of the facility was nice though. The food downstairs was fantastic and you get a 10% discount since you're staying there. I would go back, I would just remember to bring shower shoes next time.

• 3rd Jul 2015

Everything was great except the bathrooms. The mold and mushrooms growing on the floor by the showers we were not fans of. Staff was super helpful and Awseome !

• 3rd Jul 2015

It's more of a pub than hostel. The common area is basically the pub. Beds were comfortable. Staff were friendly. Bathrooms were open to the hallway but the toilet stalls had doors. Wasn't the greatest atmosphere, I personally wouldnt stay here again.

Beds were very uncomfortable, overall good hostel on a low budget close to tourist attractions and easy to get to the metro.

its location and atmosphere were super great. the room was small but it didn't bother me a lot. and the staff, Fabio is so great and funny guy. he makes me feel not alone. i could walk to the Bigben, London eye. it's very easy to look around. i've already missed this place ;)

• 16th Jun 2015
  • South Korea

In a good area of London. Beds were really uncomfortable. Food from the pub was really nice. Good if you're just needing somewhere to sleep, it isn't too loud outside. Probably wouldn't stay here again

The hostel was situated in a perfect location close to many tourist attractions. This is the main reason I booked to stay here. As for the room, it was a tiny room with 12 beds stacked 3 high. There were only 4 outlets in the entire room so this was a problem as I needed my phone to navigate through the city. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was not too clean so I decided to not use them. The downstairs pub was nice and had some food for purchase.

The staff were wonderfully warm and welcoming, they were polite and eager to help in any way they could. The linens and bed sheets were pristine and fresh which made for a good sleep.The Steam Engine was situated in a really convenient location only meters away from a tube station - I was able to get from the front door of the hostel to Piccadilly Circus via the tube in 15 minutes. I'm really happy with everything, although the showering facilities could be updated...aside from that, brilliant!

• 14th Jun 2015

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write down a review for us. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Steamy. We are trying to improve our showering standards. Always appreciate the feedback so thank you for the review! Take care and hopefully we see you again!

The staff was great, they have good beer, and it was really cheap. If I was in a group, it might prove a better place to stay, but for the solo traveler I do not revommd it. this place is a bar with a hostel in it, not a hostel with a bar in it. This was probably the most uncomfortable stay in a hostel that I've had. The bed springs jut into your back, the floor to the shower is always wet, 2 SHOWERS/BATHROOMS FOR 36 GUESTS? I also found the regulars at the bar to be quite creepy.

Hi there, Thanks for leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear that our hostel did not meet your expectations. It is true that we do not have many showers, but the waiting time is normally very short. In the bar we get a variety of customers and we are sorry that you did not feel comfortable within this atmosphere. Thanks for sharing with us your opinion as it helps us to progress. Take care!

We ended up staying at this hostel twice and it wasn't too bad. It is very small, not a lot of space in the rooms. The beds are quite uncomfortable and the bottom bunks are right down on the floor. There are only two bathrooms upstairs. Staff were friendly but there was a bit of confusion with double booking beds and moving people around. Good location, right near Lambeth North Station and the London Eye. The food downstairs is good (pizza especially) Free wifi is also good (strong connection)

The hostel is very well located. Quiet inside the room, not noisy during the night, live pub with excellent burgers on the weekend downstairs. The staff is helpful and nice. Do not expect much from the breakfast if you sleep till late since there are lots of young people staying.

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, we are really glad that you enjoyed staying with us :) Take care and happy travels

Very bvery good very very nice

Decent location and value, friendly staff, but they could use some new bunks, those metal ones are incredibly uncomfortable to sleep on, and they could use an update to their shower facilities.

Hi there, Thanks for your leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear that our beds did not provide you a nice sleep. We have rooms with wooden beds, if you ever come back you can always request to be allocated in one of those rooms. Thanks for the positive and negative feedback. Take care!

Excelent hostel. Good value for money.

The staff was really nice, and the location was good. Even thought they didn't had a kitchen, the pub downstairs offer a good menu of food. Nice breakfast, simple rooms but nothing bad.

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Feel free to come and visit anytime you are around. Take care!

Room and location were great but the toliets and showers could be cleaner. The rooms security wasnt good the locks were difficlut to operate. However would still recomend great location and good value for money.

• 9th May 2015

Hi there, Thanks for your feedback! We are improving our cleanliness standards, we are sorry that you did not find the toilets clean enough. About the lockers - you just need a padlock to operate it, if you struggle you can always into the reception and we would be happy to help you out :) happy travels!

The Steam Engine was a lovely place to stay. I thought the room was a bit small. twelve beds means twelve suitcases, and they all need a place. It was a bit crowded at times, but we worked it out. The beds were fine and though there were only 2 showers and toilets for 4 rooms, it worked. there was never a line for the bathrooms, which I did expect.

Hi there, We are glad that you enjoyed your stay despite of the outlined drawbacks. It is true that when the room is fully booked it can seem a bit crowded at peak times, and we are glad you did not have problems with that. Plus, that just means more travel friends :) ! Take care and hopefully see you soon!

They basically shoved 12 people in a room big enough for maybe 4, there was absolutely no space for all our belongings, not enough lockers. And it was the only place I ever saw bunk beds three high. It was outrageously expensive for the fact that there was no spac at all.

The bathrooms were gross and there was water everywhere. The rooms only had plugs in one area which was inconvenient. The breakfast was good and pub was great! Beds were nice and clean but were three tiered and wobbly. The lockers were very small. Great location near the London Eye and near the tube station. The wifi was excellent! I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Hi there, Thanks for leaving a review with us. We have improved our cleaning standards since your departure, and I am sure you would see the difference if you ever come back! We do have triple bunk beds and some people can find that a bit uncomfortable. We are sorry that some of our features did not meet your standards. We appreciate all positive and negative feedback as it helps us to improve. Take care!

I came with a friend, and bought of us thinking that spending two night in this pub was an excellent idea! We were greatfully host from all the staff, especially from Fabio one of the staff member, who really did care about our need, and was kind. The breakfast was delicious, and the room was good. But the best point of this pub was is location: so close of every best places of london. We didn't payed any public transports, everything was accessible .

• 15th Apr 2015

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It means a lot to us that you had such a great time. We like to ensure that all the guests have a good time, and we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay :) come to visit if you come back to London! Take care.