PubLove @ The Steam Engine, Waterloo Reviews

41-42 Cosser St, London, England

The Steam Engine is a nice little pub located near Lambeth North Underground Station. The bed rooms are just above the pub, but you can't hear a thing. The pub is opened 24/7 for Hostel guests, so you can have a drink after hours. The rooms are too small and too crowded. This wasn't an issue for me, since I didn't spend much time in the Hostel, and basically just went there to sleep and wash up. Bring your own AC adapter, they sell them there for £ 3, which is a bit expensive.

Fresh is great! Small and clean. The hostel is above the pub and stay open 24 hours for the guests. Very clean and organized. Near the Waterloo Station and underground. Kindly staff and delicious pizza!

It is very good located, near Waterloo Rail/Underground station (which is part of zone 1 of London), so the price is fair. Facilities are ok, but not so good, cause there are triple beds, which is not that comfortable. Bathrooms and toilets are clean. Good and free breakfast. There are lockers, but outside the room and they don't provide padlocks, which is bad. There is a bar where they serve food, which is very good (even thought I didn't have a chance to eat there). In general, I recommend it.

You get what you pay for. For me, it was hard sleeping in a very small room with 12 people on 3 person bunk beds! There were not enough outlets for everyone to have one either. There are 2 bathrooms/showers for way to many people, and with that they were very dirty but that can be expected with so many people. Great location, 3 minute walk from the train and 10 minutes from the London Eye and Big Ben area! Overall, great value for a great location.

• 20th Sep 2013

We had a great stay at the Steam Engine! We stayed in the 12 person room, and although it was small it didn't feel cramped. Everyone we met was very friendly and the staff were fantastic. The bathrooms had little privacy and were small and few, but we only had to wait one morning and they were extremely clean which made up for it. Definitely would recommend.

Decent. Not great but not bad. The location is quite good as it's close to Waterloo station and several tube stations. The hostel is above a neighborhood pub, with a local crowd. If you're looking to experience that, then it's great.

The location was really good so you could walk to some of the major attractions in no time. It was also one of the cleaner hostels I've stayed in. The downsides: They have a no food or drink policy because there's a bar downstairs, but the only food they seemed to have on their menu was frozen pizza. I ended up spending a lot eating out at restaurants during my stay. There was also a bit of a queue for showers in the morning (there are only two) and there was a shortage of plugs in the room.

Hostel was okay, surprised when dorms were 3 story bunk beds, even though London is very expensive it was overpriced. Good location though right near the Thames and breakfast was good.

The hostel is actually the upper floor of the steam engine pub which means there is no common room or kitchen and the hostel itself just includes the bedrooms and two small bathrooms (and I do me small). The staff were very nice and helpful but it isn't like a typical hostel and the atmosphere is very different as a result.

• 1st Sep 2013

The best thing about this hostel is the location. Only a short walk to Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey etc. The rooms are very small. If you're on the bottom bunk you literally have to slide in from the ground! The showers and toilets were also very small. But I got a good nights sleep every night and the other people are respectful of people sleeping. Not the best for meeting people but an excellent place for a nice nights sleep and in a great location.

TERRIBLE mattresses on all the beds! Lumpy, springs sticking into you. I've been traveling for 18 months and this hostel has the worst mattresses I've experienced anywhere. An When I complained, the staff agreed and said everyone complains but the owner is too tight to triage them. So, Steam Engine owner, get your credit card out and buy us some decent beds or we'll keep giving you the bad reviews you deserve. Inadequate showers and WC's as well!!

Terrible terrible beds - really bad mattresses and cramped 3 tier bunks. Terrible showers and toilets and not enough of them.

Great, clean hostel. Only issue is that the bunk bed situation is a tight squeeze. I would definitely recommend this hostel because of how clean and friendly it is.

It would be better if the power sockets are separated and located on the head of bed! Thanks for everything u gave!

• 27th Aug 2013
  • Taiwan

Good location and value for money. Beds were comfortable, but far too many people squashed into a dorm. Two toilets and 2 showers are definitely not enough.

Clean hostel, great location, good breakfast. Two toilets and two showers for all is not enough. Triple bunks in dorms - meant having to sleep with the backpack- no where to put it - bottom bunk 5cm from the floor if lucky- too many people in one room.

Good location, easy to find, attractive bartenders

No complaints. Would certainly return :)

This is the place to go if you are into partying all night long. Not for me. Tiny rooms, gross bathrooms (unclean and tiny), noisy in the middle of the night, ignorant hostel goers (making noise in the room all hours of the night).

We really enjoyed our stay! Great location 5 minutes from tube station and 15 minutes walk to London eye/Big Ben etc! This was my first hostle experience and I would totally recommend it! Breakfast was great every morning, staff were welcoming and very helpful. The rooms, although full (9 people, 3 triple bunks), weren't overly stuffy. Only 2 showers and 2 toilets but I never had to queue to use facilities. Relatively clean plenty of sockets to charge phones etc. great stay and would return!