PubLove @ The Steam Engine, Waterloo Reviews

41-42 Cosser St, London, England

I don't mind sleeping in a bunk bed with heaps of other people. But stuffing 12 people into a room which should only have held 8 at the absolute MOST was dangerous, claustrophobic, and inconvenient. We were constantly tripping over luggage etc. You could not sit upright in the 3-tier beds. If there was a fire, evacuating that room would not have been possible in a safe amount of time. Also, the bathrooms flooded every night, the mattresses were disgusting, and music from the pub below was loud.

The hostel was amazing and the position as well. The staff was helpful and kind: I'd like to say thank you to Julieta who helped me and my friend getting settled and giving us all the advice we needed. I've travelling quite often in hostels and rarely I found such an amazing staff. Thank you for everything. Antonio

• 13th Dec 2014

The lockers in the rooms and hallway were not big enough for our bags, so we had to leave our stuff unattended in our room, the room was tiny and not clean. The bathroom was so disgusting, the floor was always wet and the sinks and toilets just looked grimy. The staff were nice enough but didn't really seem to know what they were doing. You are not allowed to drink in the rooms but they do not have a common room where this is possible. I would not stay here again.

• 12th Dec 2014

Had a great time staying here at the Steam Engine. The staff are all super friendly particularly Julietta who has got to be the nicest person in all of London.

• 10th Dec 2014

Staff are fantastic,

Es un hostel improvisado. Los baños son improvisados y las habitaciones son muy chicas y hay mas camas que las que deben ir. El desayuno es de muy poca calidad. Realmente es poco cómodo. Lo bueno es su ubicación, el pub que tiene y la gente que trabaja allí es excelente, muy predispuesta y servicial

We arrived tired and 4 numbers of beds and passwords were offered. Unfortunately we err on the number of bed. Then at 2 o'clock in the morning came an official, turned on the light and woke everyone requesting him to change the bed. He said he had but three free beds. tomorrow would solve. when I tried to explain the buzz from reception, asking simply swapped the number of bed on the computer, she said to go up then and we changed the wrong bed at the right number. Portuguese receptionist is ver

• 16th Nov 2014

Staff were extremely helpful and very friendly, the rooms were a good size, clean, with no noise from the busy roads outside. The only issue I have is that my bed was directly next to the radiator (which was turned on due to it being a cold night!) so I was a little uncomfortable in bed at first, but eventually it went off and I slept fine. The bar downstairs is very reasonably priced, breakfast was nice, and the location is very convinient.

• 10th Nov 2014

That was a great place to visit! Walking distance from the most common sightseeings, I rarely used transport.. What I loved most of all is the Staff!) all of them were sooo friendly and U feel like home from the 1st minute. Sometimes I even didn't want to go out.People are so helpful, they answered each question with a smile,pay attention to every guest, amasing. Most of all I'd like to say many thanx to Daniel!!! Ask him for any help and U'll be happy)

• 9th Nov 2014
  • Russia

Great hostel! Staff are all super friendly and helpful. The pub on the main floor serves pizza and pub grub as well as reasonably priced beers. Rooms are clean. One of the bathrooms was always flooded, but the other one was fine.

Aside from the fact that the coffee was instant, they came through well with the provided breakfast. The staff were awesome, and the pub has an old and very authentic atmosphere. The bathroom situation could use some work and the rooms could use more plugs, but overall it was a good experience.

• 30th Oct 2014

It was great but the room smelt absolutely terrible. Like unwashed reproductive organs. It was hard to sleep because of the smell. It wasn't because of the hostel itself, rather the other occupants of the room.

• 30th Oct 2014

Pizza is great!

Nice and easy, but the bathrooms where not that clean

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Denmark

Es un lugar cómodo y seguro donde tu puedes alojarte, el personal es muy amable, sin duda regresaría a este lugar

Tinha gente que fazia barulho e bagunça no quarto do hostel. Além disso tinha gente bebendo bebidas alcoólicas. Falei ao gerente do hostel (um senhor de idade) e ele não fez absolutamente nada. Muito menos permitiu que eu mudasse de quarto. Tive que falar com a funcionária Matilda pasta me ajudar e apenas ela resolveu o problema. Matilda, obrigado por me ajudar, pois o gerente do hostel eh um inútil.

Our stay has been pretty comfortable, thanks to the staffs, we could enjoyed all the time a nice atmosphere at the property. The only thing that didn't pleased us was the bathroom cleanness because it was dirty and wet all the time. Even so, we've been enjoying there with staffs and others customers. They were nice. Thanks a lot. We will go back there at the next travel for an excellent stay.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • Spain

A good backpacker hostel. Room of 12 very little to fit all the backpackers' luggage but it's fine. Not a lot of toilets and showers but at the end it's ok. It's just about organisation. Warm athmosphere in the little pub situated on the ground floor.

No kitchen means depending on eating out or premade food, but they have a very decent breakfast and offer a 10% discount on the pub's food. The price is not too low, but not too high either, and the pub's location and atmosphere are just great. Spent just one night there on my way to bath, definitely would come back!

• 2nd Oct 2014

As beliches sao desconfortáveis pelo fato de vc sequer conseguir sentar na cama. Mas achei os banheiros limpos e a equipe mt simpática. A localização é excelente por ser próxima a estação de metrô.

• 28th Sep 2014