Pura Vida Hostel Rio de Janeiro Reviews

Rua Saint Roman #20, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Excellent stay at Pura Vida! Kind and helpful staff, fairly comfy beds and an awesome patio bar. And the location is ridiculously great, literally 2 minutes from Copacabana. Would recommend merging the 5-10 various wi-fis into one, and strengthening signal in the dorms. The bar is not always open (on average about every 2nd night or so), so be sure you ask the reception beforehand if you plan on joining an assumed bar party in the hostel. I'll be back!

It is à big hostel with many dorms. The kitchen and the places to chill/have breakfast are not so many. I stayed at a 4pers-dorm and it have a shared bathroom. The bathroom is in another 9pers-dorm. You have to cross the whole other dorm to reach the bathroom. The bathroom is okay, but not very clean. The staff is very helpfull and they organised a lot of activities/tours

• 24th Mar 2015

Great tours provided by the hostel and good value. Bar tender could be a bit nicer to all the lads. He had no trouble with being very nice to the girls in the hostel. But other than that I had a great time . I would stay there again

The location is amazing. One block from the Copacabana beach and 5 minute to Ipanema. Close to banks and resturants. Well, it is really close to a Fabela BUT in a minute you're in a main street and there is always police around so we felt pretty safe there. They announced about partys every day and were helpfull with our questions. We were in a private room and it was really great. Don't know about the dorms.

i stayed here twice - at the beginning and end of my trip. This hostel is great - the people working here are friendly and helpful, facilities are good and breakfast great also. I will definitely come back next time!

• 27th Feb 2015

I haven't stayed in a hostel since I was at school so Pura Vida was a real revelation for me, being more like a budget hotel than I expected. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Chatty and assisted me with everything from restaurant reservations to finding a doctor when I needed one. The hostel felt secure, even been in the Favela and was cleaned every day. The only thing is that they got a lot of stairs...

Very good hostel - stayed for a few nights post carnival, and did everything it needed - very good location, about 2 blocks from Copacabana Beach, with very helpful and friendly staff. They also got awesome parties!

We stayed at Pura Vida Hostel during carnaval time. We feel that we got VIP service! The hostel is very clean with good atmosphere and very nice parties. The staff was welcoming and helpful! Special thanks to Bessan for doing above and beyond for helping with any question/issue. For sure we will recommend the hostel for anyone that comes to Brazil! Pura Vida!

I stayed there for almost 2 weeks after carnival and it was like carnival never ended! I'm travelling on my own so it was a great place to meet people and have a good time. The staff were very good too. Great location (2 blocks from Copacabana beach) and they also offer a city tour that covers a lot of the city's sights in one day! I had an amazing time there and would recommend it to anyone!

Spacious room, large lockable lockers for all your stuff, actually clean sheets, very friendly and helpful staff. Great location if you want copacabana or ipanema beach...

Out of 4 hostels I stayed in whilst in Rio this was by far the best! Great location with an unruvalled atmosphere! Plus Beesan and Ignacio and the guys are second to none when it comes to letting you know what's going on. Lone travelling guy from London! ;)

• 12th Feb 2015

Super friendly staff and great atmosphere. Just a few minutes from the beach and to bars and nightlife - what more could you want?

Nice hostel located at the entrance of one of the most dangerous favelas in Rio. You may feel uncomfortable walking up the street leading to the hostel but you'll be surprised how nice and welcoming people are. That said, make sure you are aware of who's around you without looking too paranoid. The hostel has a really cool vibe and great staff. They can pretty much organize everything you want to do in Rio for you. The only improvement I would do is more frequent bathroom cleaning schedule.

We had an amazing time and experience staying here... Best views in town! Staff were so helpful and friendly that they made our stay, thanks Patrick and Matt. Fab breakfast as well!

About 50 meters up saint roman. Has a very relaxed bar and communal area. Dorms were good, but the private rooms on the side of the hill were better. Overall, one of the nicer spots on copacabana.

We stayed at Pura Vida during the crazy new year celebrations. The location was perfect-2 blocks from the beach and close to Ipanema in a beautiful former embassy. The staff did everything they could to keep things clean and organized, and respond to our repeated requests for more fans. It was insanely hot (no AC) and the ceiling fans were useless. Also, the bathroom in the girls only dorm is the only womens bathroom in the whole hostel, shared by maybe 20 people!

It is very hot in the room, specially now in the summer. There should be a ar conditioning, necessarilly. Also, when there is a party, it becomes very noisy inside the hostel, so one cannot sleep.

• 13th Dec 2014

Great staff and very helpful with booking tours and finding stuff to do, breakfast was great and the location of the hostel is amazing. Overall I really enjoyed my stay at Pura Vida and would most definitely stay there again if I ever return to Rio.

Would not recommend. The beds were so disgusting to the point we decided to leave the hostel. Washrooms are cramped and doors don't have locks for showering. Close walk to the beach, but not worth it based on how unclean the rooms were

A very good hostel with helpful staff

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels