Pura Vida Hostel Rio de Janeiro Reviews

Rua Saint Roman #20, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

No atmosphere. Friendly enough staff at reception. Awful pillows! Many better hostels in Rio.

Awesome hostel in a great location. Staff was incredibly friendly and access to the beach was ideal.

One of the best Hostels I ever stayed! Location was perfect, very close to the beach and 5 min away from the subway. Staff was very helpful and everything was clean and organized. Bar is great with free caipirinhas almost every day. They throw great parties on the weekends. Stayed in a confort private room with AC. I recommend and would definetily come back!

• 23rd May 2015

Had 90 real stolen from my room, only 1 shower had hot water. Toilets were always backed up/ over flowing! 90% of in room lockers were broken. Kitchen had very minimal utesils to cook with.

Great staff, good recommendations, well organised. Nice place to stay when in Rio, feels comfy immediately. Thanks!

• 15th May 2015

This is a fantastic hostel. It's located 1.5 blocks from Copacabana beach and is a very unique building. The staff is helpful and speaks excellent English. We stayed in a 4 person dorm room and a private room. I think the private is a better value as it comes with a bigger breakfast and an ensuite, but the dorms were nice too. Overall the atmosphere is fun with free caipirinhas during the evenings and a party on Saturday nights. Clean, hot water, good food, bar open most nights.

Good place. Location is perfect. Fun staff. Hands out to Bibi for being extra accommodating! 4 bed dorms are nice.

Excellent stay at Pura Vida! Kind and helpful staff, fairly comfy beds and an awesome patio bar. And the location is ridiculously great, literally 2 minutes from Copacabana. Would recommend merging the 5-10 various wi-fis into one, and strengthening signal in the dorms. The bar is not always open (on average about every 2nd night or so), so be sure you ask the reception beforehand if you plan on joining an assumed bar party in the hostel. I'll be back!

It is à big hostel with many dorms. The kitchen and the places to chill/have breakfast are not so many. I stayed at a 4pers-dorm and it have a shared bathroom. The bathroom is in another 9pers-dorm. You have to cross the whole other dorm to reach the bathroom. The bathroom is okay, but not very clean. The staff is very helpfull and they organised a lot of activities/tours

• 24th Mar 2015

Great tours provided by the hostel and good value. Bar tender could be a bit nicer to all the lads. He had no trouble with being very nice to the girls in the hostel. But other than that I had a great time . I would stay there again

The location is amazing. One block from the Copacabana beach and 5 minute to Ipanema. Close to banks and resturants. Well, it is really close to a Fabela BUT in a minute you're in a main street and there is always police around so we felt pretty safe there. They announced about partys every day and were helpfull with our questions. We were in a private room and it was really great. Don't know about the dorms.

i stayed here twice - at the beginning and end of my trip. This hostel is great - the people working here are friendly and helpful, facilities are good and breakfast great also. I will definitely come back next time!

• 27th Feb 2015

I haven't stayed in a hostel since I was at school so Pura Vida was a real revelation for me, being more like a budget hotel than I expected. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Chatty and assisted me with everything from restaurant reservations to finding a doctor when I needed one. The hostel felt secure, even been in the Favela and was cleaned every day. The only thing is that they got a lot of stairs...

Very good hostel - stayed for a few nights post carnival, and did everything it needed - very good location, about 2 blocks from Copacabana Beach, with very helpful and friendly staff. They also got awesome parties!

We stayed at Pura Vida Hostel during carnaval time. We feel that we got VIP service! The hostel is very clean with good atmosphere and very nice parties. The staff was welcoming and helpful! Special thanks to Bessan for doing above and beyond for helping with any question/issue. For sure we will recommend the hostel for anyone that comes to Brazil! Pura Vida!

I stayed there for almost 2 weeks after carnival and it was like carnival never ended! I'm travelling on my own so it was a great place to meet people and have a good time. The staff were very good too. Great location (2 blocks from Copacabana beach) and they also offer a city tour that covers a lot of the city's sights in one day! I had an amazing time there and would recommend it to anyone!

Spacious room, large lockable lockers for all your stuff, actually clean sheets, very friendly and helpful staff. Great location if you want copacabana or ipanema beach...

Out of 4 hostels I stayed in whilst in Rio this was by far the best! Great location with an unruvalled atmosphere! Plus Beesan and Ignacio and the guys are second to none when it comes to letting you know what's going on. Lone travelling guy from London! ;)

• 12th Feb 2015

Super friendly staff and great atmosphere. Just a few minutes from the beach and to bars and nightlife - what more could you want?

Nice hostel located at the entrance of one of the most dangerous favelas in Rio. You may feel uncomfortable walking up the street leading to the hostel but you'll be surprised how nice and welcoming people are. That said, make sure you are aware of who's around you without looking too paranoid. The hostel has a really cool vibe and great staff. They can pretty much organize everything you want to do in Rio for you. The only improvement I would do is more frequent bathroom cleaning schedule.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels