Pura Vida Hostel Rio de Janeiro Reviews

Rua Saint Roman #20, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Over all good stay, the only really thing I have to complain about is that there was one really rude receptionist who didn't help at all. When asked about a tour, he said they didn't do tours. When I went back to ask again the next day another receptionist was glad to ask any questions about tours they offered and I booked easily booked two.

• 2nd Feb 2016

Really good hostel! Close from the subway, clean, good food for breakfast. I highly recommend.

The room had no AC and there were only two vents for 10 people, which was obviously not enough. Other than that, everything was good, the hostel is nice and clean.

• 27th Dec 2015

The hostel was very good, we hosted for 6 nights. The only (big) bad thing is that shared rooms doesn't have air conditioner, so it's hard to sleep at nite, because Copacabana is very hot!!. The bathrooms are shared and the cleanliness was some kind of poor.. But the others things was perfect.

The hostel is in a favela, the room smelled like urine, the pictures online are clearly photoshopped, and there was a lovely rooster who woke us up at 4am. this hostel is not recommended

The first night I stayed in a mixed dorm, the mattresses were brown and filthy. I arrived very late at night (my fault) the guy I met first was kind of rude. I chose to move into a female dorm the next night as my roommates were a bit noisy and the female dorm was like a different hostel, the beds were clean, nicer pillows etc. I also met a lady who I think was a manager, she was more friendly. It's hard to write a review as I had a very mixed stay. Location great for beach but close to Favela.

Quite dirty, and they have a bar you have to pay to get into at night even if you are staying there. Other people staying there seemed pretty unfriendly and the room smelt awful the entire time. Area feels dangerous too. Would not recommend

• 20th Nov 2015

The location and the staff are terrible! Is a really dangerous location and the staff wants to charge you for everything. I do not recommend.

Drugs allowed in this place. Mattress are black( supposed to be white). Wifi is good. Half staff good half bad. Would not stay at this again.

Nice place, the hostel is located in the entrance to a safe favela, good room size but needs to have a TV in your private room, and a bit more care if drunk guys are on the stairs of the privates area to make it peacefull, good breakfast. I will stay here again

This realy big Hostel right between Ipanema and Copacabana has good bus connection to each mayor other location. However it was really disappointing to see that the "samba"party - which seems to have been organized by the hostel stuff and benefit them - was a tourist trap. There was almost no samba or brasilians that could dance it. If I want normal disco I do not need to fly over the ocean. Very disappointing.

Really nice staff and atmosphere!! I´ll definitelly come back!! Mano, velho bolacha!

Great location, really nice facilities (we stayed in a double room with a bathroom), decent breakfast. Staff could be a bit more helpful (due to misinformation and lack of will to help on their part we had to self-organize a private tour through of the favela). Other than that really nice and friendly.

• 2nd Oct 2015
  • Poland

Good spot and worthy its price. 10min walk to copacabana. Everything what you need is there including bar;))) staff helpful, speaks good english. Strongly recommended hostel!!!

Bathroom for males Is out of the way, it is on the first floor while all or most rooms are in the 2nd floor. Staff were not friendly nor helpful much.

The hostel has all the potential to be great but it's let down by the staff who just don't want to be there and really have no interest in helping you! The wifi is good and the building is pretty cool, good location but no real atmosphere

Awesome time. Nothing but positive things to say about Pura Vida Hostel and their staff. Would definitely recommend this hostel to others. Thank you to all that made this a very pleasant trip to Rio de Janeiro. Gotta love a super friendly staff.....Victor, Beesan, Vivi, Rodrigo and Thiago!!

• 17th Aug 2015

I know it is a breach of security but it will be great if they take the responsibility of the access card when you are going for the beach. Not always you will like to carry room access key with you when you are at the beach.

• 14th Aug 2015