Pura Vida Hostel Reviews

Calle Guanacaste, Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Wow, what a find. Great clean and friendly hostel. Don't listen to the yuppies on here complaining who were expecting a hotel and got a hostel. This place was great! I met great people here. The owner has obviously travelled and appreciates what a traveller wants in a hostel. I stayed 4 nights and enjoyed Tamarindo and this hostel. Staff was very helpful in giving travel info. The 11pm quiet time was enforced and the place was kept clean. Overall I loved my stay here and hope to return!!

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Slovakia

I would not recommend this hostel. The dorm I had no ac which is fine but only had one effective fan which hit the bottom bunks so it was sweltering on the top and there was no windows to let air move through. There was no hot water which was ok due to it being so hot in the rooms. You need bug spray if you want to sit in the common area or you will get eaten alive, this was the first place in Costa Rica I experienced this. Look in to other hostels if your traveling alone first.

Robert was an excellent host who treats his guest far above average. He hooked me and my fellow travelers up with free pass to a local club.

• 13th Feb 2014

Saw a couple of mice running around the kitchen. Understand it's open air however there are cats and ways to not have mice in the kitchen. There were some main gate lock issues, as well as loud noises from Tico's outside the hostel drinking until late at night. Though this is nothing you can control, just want to make sure others are aware of what the surrounding area is like.

I had Mosquitos in the 6-bed dorm, which was kind of annoying.

Dear guest thank you for your review, the mosquitos are extremely annoying and they are everywhere in Tamarindo, its hard to get away from them. However we do spray the rooms every day with "Mata Todo" which is a product that kills and prevents mosquitos, we also recommend for people to always keep the doors closed - but many times when there is so many people in the dorm room they leave them open. We also have screens and fans in the room to minimize the impact and protect you.

I stayed 5 nights and enjoyed Tamarindo and this hostel. Staff was very helpful in giving travel info. The 11pm quiet time was enforced and the place was kept clean.

I loved my stay here! It's a bit of a walk to the action so it's nice and quiet. But since it is only like 5 minutes, not too bad at all. Thomas was awesome and friendly! It was very easy to meet other solo travelers in the main area. My bed was pretty comfy. The bunks aren't really tall so it was difficult to sit straight up on the bottom bunk without bumping your head, not really a big deal, but worth noting. Overall I loved my stay here and hope to return!!

It was a great stay...we spent 3 nights, the king sized bed in the room was a great surprise. It was clean, and there is a locking gate that you have to have a key for which is nice. It's a five minute walk from all the action, and for us we liked that. Close enough to stumble home, but far enough away that the place is really quite. Totally recommend it. :)

Very nice Hostel with a very relexed vibe. I loved the hammoks :)

Love this place!

No pura vida. Bad vibes all round, left with one night still paid for. Don't bother with this one.

• 18th Nov 2013

Im really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy ONE night stay in our Hostel. We are not party hostel, we trying to keep chilled and relaxing vibe that travelers can relax. In future I reccomend if you booking hostel, do not book hostel for high rating , but read reviews as well that you can get picture about the hostel and its atmosphere. Wish you all the best in your future travels:)

Only reason the location is average- was in the heat that slog up the hill is a slog! However, we loved this hostel & have recommended it to other travellers heading that way.

• 4th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Hostel Pura Vida was conveniently located near the beach. It was right down the road from a super market and small organic cafe. The staff was super friendly and informative; they've got tons of information about tours. There were two kitchens that were clean and organized. Coffee was provided in the morning. The only thing I didn't like was the bathroom was in the same room as the bunk beds and there wasn't any privacy because the door didn't go all the way down to the floor---

Thank you for your comments we are really happy that you come to see us:)It was a pleasure for us to have you here. Regarding the door, I know it might be a bit uncomfortable, but according to Costarican norms we need to do it because its shared space . I think you might find it in many hostels in the country. Wish you all the best and hope you come to visit us again. Tomas

Location 5 minutes from the center of the down. I think it is a positive, when you want to sleep then you can and the noise from the city is not disturbing you. And if you want to party then you have to take only few steps. Helpful and social staff. Rooms are clean and place is cozy. Nice common area and good wifi. You can feel yourself as a member of a hostel family.

Nice Hostel with super friendly and helpful staff. Location is great and you can even book tours there....just awesome. Absolutely recommended!!!

I used hostel as a layover spot on two occassions. Nice hostel with a great community areas. A 5-10min walk down the road to the beach. Close to two small markets for groceries. Two kitchens to use. Bring bug spray for Mosquitos in the common areas.