Pura Vida MINI Hostel - Tamarindo Reviews

Calle Langosta, 200m North from the beach, 20m North from Kahiki Restaurant., Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Really good hostel. Staff extremely nice & very helpful.

Nice stay, the staff and the Cat (Simba) were excellent. actually the only thing I didn't like was that you can't access your cold drinks in the fridge at night, because the kitchen is closed.

Great hostel, one of the best I had in Costa Rica so far! The staff really nice and helpful. It was really easy to meet new people, everyone just hanged out together! The big dorms doors was open all the time which was good because it was just fans in the rooms so it was a lot of air inside, but security wise it isn't that good. But I was never worried anyway, it's lockers in the room if you want to put stuff in.

• 12th Jan 2016
  • Sweden

The hostel was very nice. The location is perfect as you just walk a view minutes to get into the center of Tamarindo. The staff was very friendly and our room and the shared bathroom were really clean. We loved our stay in this hostel.

Great place to meet other travelers and have fun!

• 6th Jan 2016

I was disappointed to learn that because we booked online we were charged $20 USD, and additional 13% sales tax, but if we had not booked online, we would not have received this charge.

Dear guest, thank you for your comment. When you are booking online yes, you are charged the 13% VAT tax which is the mandatory tax in Costa Rica, it is also stated in the policies prior to your booking. The walk in rate is different as the tax is already included in the price of the room.

Overall it is a nice hostel in a good location. Its near the beach, the market and the atmosphere is pretty relaxed. I enjoyed my stay there.

Very hot stay in the dorm rooms- no windows, no AC, no ventilation, and a small space for 11 beds. It is a bit out of the main Tamarindo area by about a 5 minutes walk. Other than that, the hostel is clean, safe, and friendly. There is a pool table, ping pong, and foosball, as well as access to a nearby hotel pool. Nice kitchen.

Let me begin by saying that while I have spent a large amount of time in hostels across the globe, none have so closely encapsulated the character of their host countries. The Pura Vida MINI Hostel, from the hammocks swaying gently in the breeze, to the friendly and welcoming staff and atmosphere, perfectly represents the idea of 'Pura Vida'. On a more tangible note, the open-area common space facilitates a relaxed and fluid interaction amongst the hostel's guests, and the bean bags are heaven.

• 19th Dec 2015

The hostel was cool, people were chill but a few issues.There was a major mosquito problem, even in the dorm rooms. The 'air conditioned room' was lackluster, leaving it hot most of the night. The worst part was the annoying techno / Emo music that started each morning at 8am. There was a bus schedule and good information on tours and transportation. They also provided outside showers, which was awesome after a long day at the beach.

Awesome location and very friendly staff!

• 12th Dec 2015
  • Costa Rica

This hostel is incredibly clean and well-organized. Mini also is true to its name. It's a smaller hostel, or maybe it's just that it is set on a larger property . You can sit off by yourself in a garden or join the activity on a big porch. The best part of this hostel was DANNY, the staff person. Incredible, funny, helpful guy. The worst part was that it got a bit too boisterous at night for me. But hey, that's what a middle-aged lady gets for staying in a dorm with 20-ish year-olds. No biggie.

• 10th Dec 2015

Great staff, relaxed atmosphere. Super nice common area! And it's sooo close to the beach, which is super nice. Also very close to the main street, where everything happens in the evening :)

Great hostel! We stayed for two nights and I wish we had more time! Staff is super nice, the hostel is very clean and they have a great common area. The only downside that I can think of is that they lock the kitchen at night so you have no access to the stuff you put in the fridge during that period, but that wasn't actually a problem. I Definitely recommend it and wolud stay there again.

I enjoyed the Pura Vida mini hostel. Staff was really helpful with travel plans and letting you know about things going on in Tamarindo. The hostel is just a bit off the beaten path but it's a really quick walk to the main road. The bathroom had some plumbing issues while I was there so it was a bit of a mess, but I think that was out of the ordinary. Had my own fan in the dorm room, which was awesome :) Heads up -- laundry is $12 per load.

Second time staying in this hostel, not a bad place to stop over for a night or spend a day or two. The lockers for the dorm can fit a whole pack and the wifi was good. Bus to the beach was only 310 colones and the bus stop is right outside the hostel. There are also fans in the dorm which made sleeping easier. Would stay here again based on the price compared to the rest of the area.

"A/C" barely blew any air out. It was brutal. Woke up nice and sticky. Other than that the hostel was great.

The stuff is the best ever! Friendly and just awesome!

I know it was your first hostel experience and we just loved having you all stay with us! Hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels. Pura VIda

I was planning on staying here 1 night and ended up staying 2 weeks! Then I came back a couple weeks later because I loved it! Perfect hostel with a balance of a hang out atmosphere and quiet. Great place to chill out, meet other cool travelers, cook, and enjoy Tamarindo. Miriam, the owner, is great and her henchwoman Rebecca is super helpful with anything you need. Highly recommend this hostel.

• 28th Sep 2015

The only thing is that there is no bathroom in the dorm.. You have to go in commun area