Qian Men Hostel Reviews

Meishijie 33, Xuanwu District, Beijing, China

Well, this wasn't my first time at the hostel. I always go back to this hostel when i'm in Beijing. The location is excellent, the center of town with a lot of restaurant to go to. The atmosphere is almost always good here, but you have to make that for yourself ! This time they were fixing some rooms, that didn't bother me but the workers always pissed on the toilet instead of in it , that was not nice !!! :) See you again next year !

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Belgium

Our twin room was very shabby, dirty and one the mattresses was saggy. The room really needs renovation and some new furniture. The shared bathrooms are outside in the backyard which was quite cold because we stayed there in winter. I was glad that our stay was only for one night. But besides that the staff was very nice, the backyard is beautiful and it's near the railway station. Maybe it's bettter to stay there in summer.

• 5th Mar 2014

Great location, just 5 minutes from Tian'Anmen and just in the middle of a hutong area. I've been here before, in October, so that's why I decided to come back now. Only BIG problem: it's the beginning of March and Beijing is COLD. So, crossing the courtyard for going to the showers' room hasn't been that great - most of all because there is no place where to put your stuff, just a few clothes hooks.. so the less you were, the easier.. but it's cold outside!

At first I found the staff a bit grumpy, but it changed to the better when meeting other people in the staff. The location was definitely good, but the place really feels like it's falling apart and in desperate need for renovation. It was also quite cold. Probably it's more of a summer place to stay at. One thing that definitely changes the place to the better is their cooking. If you miss western food they make it like few Chinese can, especially the pizza. Good coffee and breakfast too

Everything was really fantastic. This was my first time staying in a hostel, and I was pretty nervous... I was very happily surprised. I think this hostel succeeds the most in its excellent quirkiness. When you walk outside into the little courtyard area, you get a very cool feeling. And I was afraid the showers would be gross, but boy was that shower heavenly!! High pressure and deliciously hot! :D (what is even this description). Basically, if you want a hostel, this is a great one. :)

• 30th Jan 2014

The charme of an old building comes with the downside of limited facilities (no real room with sinks to wash yourself (just one sink before the toilets), simple showers in an unheated area with no good changing facilities - nice warm water though). I've also stayed in cleaner hostels, but the room was warm, the sheets were clean,and I slept really well. So if you are mentally prepared for the mentioned shortcomings, it's good value for money!

If you've traveled in china for a while, this place won't seem too bad. But I suggest to pay slightly more for someplace more comfortable. It's winter, so going outside to use the toilets that were pretty far from the room was very inconvenient. The heater for the room also didn't work very well. I'm sure this hostel is more tolerable in warm weather.

Very good hostel, with an excellent atmosphere and good facilities. Near a busy touristic street and subway station. Crossing the yard to reach the bathroom can be hard to do during winter time though. Olivia, the bartender is the best! =) really fun girl!

The worst hostel ever! Poor cleaness standards. The bathroom I satyed in a 4 beddorm ensuite. There was only a a frosted glass separating the room from de bathroom. Everyone could see who was in the bathroom. I asked them to hang some towels blocking the view from the room and to avoid my roommates to see who was in the bathroom and they responded to me that i should be aware that that was a dorm not a private room. Also only teo plugs avaliable. I do not recomend it at all.