Quetzalroo Reviews

6ta Avenida 7-84, Zona 10, Guatemala City, Guatemala

Very enthusiastic staff, always ready to give tips and help us organise our trip in Guatemala. Location is good as you can walk to both restaurants and museums easily. BUT there was no hot water in the showers despite keeping the water pressure low as requested, this is a problem! Overall, we had a good experience though.

Very secure location in Zona 10, one of the safer parts of town. I almost skipped Guatemala City altogether but glad I didn't. Not a whole lot to do in the immediate vicinity but there are some very nice restaurants close by (not cheap however) and street food if you want.

Marcos is fantastic and gave us a great glimpse of Guate. He went above and beyond in showing us the art scene, the food scene and the music scene. He was very knowledgeable about what was going on in the city and we appreciated his passionate views on his country. Guate is very cool and not as unsafe as some travel guides make it out to be.

My plans were to immediately leave Guatemala City after one night. But I decided to stay two nights. This was basically due to the hospitality of Marcos and the other very friendly and helpful staff. I had a great time in Quetzalroo. They can arrange everything for you but the most important thing is the enthusiasm of Marcos about Guatemala. He can tell very passionate about his country and is more than willing to give advice on your trip.

• 3rd Jul 2015

Maria seems to be the life of this hostel; very kind and helpful! Secure hostel in a safe neighborhood and is behind high walls and high gate. Nice breakfast. I liked my stay.

Antonio was very friendly and helpful even though our flight was delayed and we arrived past our due time of 9pm he did everything he could for us and the complimentary shuttle to the bus station in the morning was much appreciated.

These guys will bait and switch you. I showed up after booking on line, booking a single for my wife and I. we only need a single bed. When we showed up, they charged us double. They listed airport service, but then told me I needed to order and pay for a Taxi. I refused, and they fixed the problem, begrudgingly bringing me to the airport. If I hadn't stood my ground I would have been out a lot more money.

• 27th May 2015

Marcos is great! Do the biketour!

18$ a night is way too much money for Guatemala city, also I arrived after midnight and was told they didn't serve beer that late but could get one tomorrow, I woke up at 10am and was told I had to wait until noon to get a beer. .. I get it, you're not a party hostel but come on guys I've been traveling for 20 hours I just want a beer. Rooftop was cool but owner was rude. I did talk to other travelers who had a great time and were really taken care of by them so it may just be hit or miss.

The bike tour was awesome. Marcos knows a lot of stuff about Guatemala City, and introduced us on the tour to a lot of local foods and attractions. Clean bathrooms and overall facilities, a great fruit and toast breakfast with fresh local jam, and down to earth environment.

• 11th May 2015

We really enjoyed our stay at Quetzalroo. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. If we return to Guatemala City we would likely return to Quetzalroo if they have room.

• 2nd May 2015

Our trip started better than we imagined from the moment we landed late at night. The hostel is in a great area of the city, a place to relax and get to know the city. Marcos helped us out so much for the entire stay we had in Guatemala. From being an amazing host; giving us a local perspective; and helping us plan the rest of our trip with an accurate hand-made map of Guatemala. Even when we went to other hostels they knew of Marcos and his family for what they do for Guatemala tourism.

We had a great time here even though we only could stay 1 night. Very welcoming staff. Marcos took us out for a great barbeque and we got to see a side of Guatemala City we really didn't expect. Rooms were clean and spread out over multiple floors, which was really fun. Would highly recommend.

Cozy family run spot. Helpful and flexible staff, and one of the better continental breakfasts around.

Marco was great in walking to a great Italian restaurant a quarter mile away

Get to know Marcos and you'll be sure to have a good time. He's passionate about the hostel it's guests and Guatemala. Do the bike tour and Marcos will fill you with a wealth of knowledge about the history of the fine nation that is Guatemala.

• 4th Mar 2015

Guatemala City is definitely worth a stay for some days despite what everybody tells you. Despite that the hostel is really good (clean, quiet, lovely staff, great food), Marcos, the owner, took us on a 6 hour bicycle ride across the town and explained the recent history of Guatemala. The next day he took us to an art exhibition, introduced us to his friends and took us to a great party. They make your time special and help you wherever possible. 10 out of 10 points! Thank you very much!

Wonderful! Absolutely best staff of any hostel in Guatemala - so welcoming and helpful. Very clean as well. Would recommend to anyone and absolutely stay again!

• 28th Feb 2015

We had a private room, nothing fancy, but clean + all that was needed for a good night's sleep. Great place to stay for catching their shuttle in the morning to GUA airport for our flight. Very nice, helpful people there.

• 3rd Feb 2015