RK/Buckner hostel Reviews

765 10th Avenue, San Diego, USA

My bed was not ready at night. Breakfast was good. Hostel in a good location. No lockers.

Little run down but cheap !

RK Buckner was full and so was every other place (St. Paddys), so I had to stay in Mexico. The next night I stayed at RK in Little Italy. The manager gave me a free night in recompense. A guest stole a tablet from me and important documents from another guy. The staff were aghast that this happened and the police were called. They weren't able to do anything about it since nobody witnessed the theft. Nice staff, good atmosphere, but I won't return. My memories of my stay here will be painful.

It's well located (few blocks from Gaslamp). The beds are incredibly uncomfortable, could easily be better. Rooftop area is pretty nice to hang around. There's a curfew for the kitchen but it wasn't respected. People went in coming back from the bar, drank, smoked and shouted and what not. Thanks to that we couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours for our first 2 nights (room 10 next to the kitchen). Rules weren't respected and for that reason it sucked.

Highly recommend. I had a short job at the Hyatt downtown and just needed a one night stay so that I wouldn't have to drive back and forth. For about the same price as gas and far less hassle I stayed at the Buckner. Close to everything and very nice staff. Excellent value. I would not hesitate to use them again..

• 12th Mar 2015

The Hostel was amazing! And the location was perfect:) Near the hostel is a parking lot, where you can leave your car during your stay which was perfect for me and my friend being on a road trip!

• 10th Mar 2015

I dont know if it was hostelworld or the hostel itself, but they didnt have my reservation when i arrived

• 4th Mar 2015

I had a 4bed dorm by myself which is very roomy. Only one window can be open which is good enough for one person. The room is carpeted so I had to turn the fan off not to stir it up. The window opens to the street which can be noisy but I don't mind. The wall outlets do not work so I have to stay late the next day to charge outside. The beds are very comfortable and the linen very clean. The bathroom is huge and very clean. The staff is super nice. The location is very convenient.

Room is clean but bad smells would come out of nowhere. Some were from neighbor's SuperBowl BBQ gas on back porch but others were a mystery. I left the window propped open to clear the air. It needs ropes. See sides of window frames. Ropes keep windows from slamming down. An old world solution.

The janitor needs to improve in work and manners

We have re staffed and our continuing to get better in all aspects of hospitality. He no longer is apart of the staff.

First off the staff is more than helpful and willing. Breakfast was a treat and I even scored a dinner offered to the guests. The common room was more than comfortable and gave an "at home" feel. I was close to everywhere i needed to be and could easily get any place i desired. Information posted around the hostel was helpful and i had no issues with info i was seeking. Close shopping and entertainment made it that much more of a joy to stay. I will be returning.

Avoid at all cost! I arrived that night and they refused to honour the deposit I paid on the website and insisted to charge me in full! Saying that the deposit I paid did not get passed to them. Also I paid the 10 dollar key deposit by card and they said they would refund the key deposit to my card, but it never happened! Very dodge staff so be careful.