RK/Buckner hostel Reviews

765 10th Avenue, San Diego, USA

First off the staff is more than helpful and willing. Breakfast was a treat and I even scored a dinner offered to the guests. The common room was more than comfortable and gave an "at home" feel. I was close to everywhere i needed to be and could easily get any place i desired. Information posted around the hostel was helpful and i had no issues with info i was seeking. Close shopping and entertainment made it that much more of a joy to stay. I will be returning.

Buckner Hostel is truly up to the task. It has a refreshingly guest oriented approach to everyone, has terrific cable TV in every room, even the 4 bed units, and is but a block away from a gigantic Grocery Outlet supermarket and is a San Diego minute from a toasty Starbucks. US passports are welcome.

I don't know if places changes people, but as long as I was in there, I met extraordinary people, inerntationals and locals. One of he most beauiful period in my life. I met people that show me that everything's possible, that motivated me and helped me keep going on. This hosel has it's own little magic spaces. Each room has its own story, and the patio is the perfect place to connect to the people. I hope I'll be back there one day.

like the place that is why I return

I like the place ,quiet clean , friendly, I will go back.

Overall positive experience, even though the breakfast was more than disappointing (jam and peanut butter were empty, no toasts left, no milk left -> breakfast was simply inexistant). One staff member was neither welcoming nor helpful. She couldn't answer any of our simple questions and just seemed fed up with her customers. The other was much friendlier and willing to help.

Our breakfast at the RK Buckner varies and we aim to please. We have new staff as of 9/1/2014. We understand your comfort starts with us and our ability to provide service. Necessary action has been taken as we have a ZERO tolerance policy towards guest relations.

There needs to be more chairs in the kitchen, perhaps folding. Two is insufficient. The toilet had a habit of leaking and this was most revolting.

• 16th Aug 2014

Wouldn't stay there again! Es war alt, verranzt, dreckig.. es gibt gerade mal 3 Toiletten für 100 Leute und 4 Duschen oder so. Für den Preis sollte es Frühstück geben, welches selten vorhanden war. Die Arbeiter da sind extrem unorganisiert und man musste innerhalb einer Woche teilweise 4 mal das Zimmer wechseln.... Die Lahe ist Top und auch von außen sieht es ganz süß aus. Aber ich würde da definitiv nie wieder bleiben. Da rannten auch überall im Zimmer Kackerlaken rum.

The system was not working appropriately, so my friends and me stayed in separated rooms.

• 7th Aug 2014

- mould in bathroom and probably never cleaned - staff came into room at night - "breakfast served at 8am" - a joke: some bread and cereals on the table in the very dirty kitchen - no ventilation system and window can not be opened ==> Do not stay at this place!

• 7th Aug 2014

Many employees were travelers just staying for free. And when that happens, people tend to care a little less about their job. In the midst of a cross country road trip, my mom (60yrs old) joined me for a week and this was her first hostel experience. We booked an all female room but were placed in a mixed dorm. No big deal really. They don't have enough common/living space to hang out

• 6th Aug 2014

This is my first negative review and I've stayed in over 50 hostels. This place is understaffed, and it's very obvious that whoever runs this place doesn't care about its reputation. It takes forever to check in, and very unorganized. There is no common area and the facility is very old and needs renovations. Take my word, spend an extra $7 to stay somewhere else. There's a reason why it's reviewed poorly.

The RK Buckner hostel offers a very historic stay located downtown San Diego. Our common room has a TV as well as a computer open to all guests. Renovations are a constant with an old historic building. Come enjoy your stay and great San Diego history.

Bathroom: Our cold water tap didnt work. We didnt have any cold water. We didnt get any towels. There were too little showers. Overall: Loud music on the hallway from the hostel. Overall it was very very dirty in the rooms and toilets.

• 25th Jul 2014

Jimmy is the best staff I've met of my last 10 months travel.

Horrible. Tried to charge us for a private room that wasn't even available. It was dirty, smelled of cigs, etc. It was hot (no AC), there was a homeless guy put in our female dorm (we complained & he was moved). The staff was ok but used the hostel for their own private parties til 5am ('We can do whatever we want'), then were really rude when we asked them to be quiet. Would have def asked for refund but there was no way to contact the owner. NEVER AGAIN. I'd rather sleep in the streets.

• 23rd Jul 2014