RK/Buckner hostel Reviews

765 10th Avenue, San Diego, USA

First time! Awesome!

Not for the squeamish. Bad odor upon entering. Complicated locking system. No staff at night. Noisy at night. I could go on. Nice old building. Some staff more friendly. If you need downtown it works.

Not that much. Grey, without a soul. And horrible beds.

Thank you for your review. We wish could have seen you at the guest-initiated rooftop party that occurred the evening of your stay, but you were not around. We are in the process of replacing our mattresses. We hope to see you again!

The hostel is really nice, it´s a big and well taken care of building. Staff is greatly helpful with everything you need. Mattresses could be a lot more comfortable, kitchen could be cleaner and there could be a place for everyone to hang out and meet new people besides the tv room....

My bed was not ready at night. Breakfast was good. Hostel in a good location. No lockers.

Thank you for your review. We were very busy the date of your check in, but your bed was made immediately upon your arrival. You were also informed that it was not made yet. We appreciate your kind words.

Little run down but cheap !

RK Buckner was full and so was every other place (St. Paddys), so I had to stay in Mexico. The next night I stayed at RK in Little Italy. The manager gave me a free night in recompense. A guest stole a tablet from me and important documents from another guy. The staff were aghast that this happened and the police were called. They weren't able to do anything about it since nobody witnessed the theft. Nice staff, good atmosphere, but I won't return. My memories of my stay here will be painful.

It's well located (few blocks from Gaslamp). The beds are incredibly uncomfortable, could easily be better. Rooftop area is pretty nice to hang around. There's a curfew for the kitchen but it wasn't respected. People went in coming back from the bar, drank, smoked and shouted and what not. Thanks to that we couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours for our first 2 nights (room 10 next to the kitchen). Rules weren't respected and for that reason it sucked.

Highly recommend. I had a short job at the Hyatt downtown and just needed a one night stay so that I wouldn't have to drive back and forth. For about the same price as gas and far less hassle I stayed at the Buckner. Close to everything and very nice staff. Excellent value. I would not hesitate to use them again..

• 12th Mar 2015

The Hostel was amazing! And the location was perfect:) Near the hostel is a parking lot, where you can leave your car during your stay which was perfect for me and my friend being on a road trip!

• 10th Mar 2015

I dont know if it was hostelworld or the hostel itself, but they didnt have my reservation when i arrived

• 4th Mar 2015

I had a 4bed dorm by myself which is very roomy. Only one window can be open which is good enough for one person. The room is carpeted so I had to turn the fan off not to stir it up. The window opens to the street which can be noisy but I don't mind. The wall outlets do not work so I have to stay late the next day to charge outside. The beds are very comfortable and the linen very clean. The bathroom is huge and very clean. The staff is super nice. The location is very convenient.

Room is clean but bad smells would come out of nowhere. Some were from neighbor's SuperBowl BBQ gas on back porch but others were a mystery. I left the window propped open to clear the air. It needs ropes. See sides of window frames. Ropes keep windows from slamming down. An old world solution.

Came here back in Jan 2015, while going to school, little more quiet than other hostels, they had things that needed to be worked out, like any other business, but now the pace and staff did most 360 degrees turn around. The staff is more customer friendly, and more knowledgeable, It's cleaned on a regular basis.. For the price, it's more than worth it. Last I heard, they are in the process of upgrading the mattresses, witch was uncomfortable in the past.

• 13th Jan 2015

The janitor needs to improve in work and manners

We have re staffed and our continuing to get better in all aspects of hospitality. He no longer is apart of the staff.