RK/Buckner hostel Reviews

765 10th Avenue, San Diego, USA

Have travelled around South America for 7 months and the US for 3 weeks and this is the worst place I've ever stayed. Incompetent and unhelpful staff who almost cost us getting our car towed by giving us incorrect parking info. Also, filthy dirty and smelly. The only positive thing about this hostel is the location which is near the gas lamp district.

Room had no air con so it was impossible to sleep in the heat at night. Staff were nice but didn't have a clue about the hostels policies or things to do in the area. Our room was left open by a cleaner all day after we had locked it so there are some securty issues. 'Continental breakfast' was a bag of dry pancake mix left out. We found 2 cockroaches in our room (no. 29). Have stayed in hostels a fraction of the price that have been heaps better. Would not recomend.

• 15th Aug 2015

Very good location and some staff knew what they were doing, but needs to be cleaned more often and is probably too expensive for what it is.

Have a lot of mixed feelings about this place. I had a great time here (ended up staying 1,5 week), met so many cool people and the atmosphere is really relaxed and friendly. There is a lot of things they can improve though. 1. Get lockers to the rooms! 2. Clean better, during my 1,5 week they didn´t clean my room once 3, Only one of the guys in th reception was actually nice and seemed to care about the job. 4. The showers was pretty bad with the pressure I would stay here again though

I walked in and walked straight out. Looks nothing like the pictures

• 4th Aug 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The bathrooms lack ventilation, having only one toilet it's very stressing. The carpet on the room was damp.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • Chile

Noisy, dirty

Me and my friends stayed in a 4bedroom and its was aweful. The room smelt really badly. We werent sure what it was exactly. The bathroom was durty aswell. We had a room heading to the street and we heard every single person walking, talking and shouting from the walkingpath. We just stayed for 1 night. The guy who checked us in was okey, he helped us with our luggage. If you dont have to, dont stay at this hostel. Only the location (3 minutes walk away from the center) was great.

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Switzerland

First time! Awesome!

Not for the squeamish. Bad odor upon entering. Complicated locking system. No staff at night. Noisy at night. I could go on. Nice old building. Some staff more friendly. If you need downtown it works.

Not that much. Grey, without a soul. And horrible beds.

Thank you for your review. We wish could have seen you at the guest-initiated rooftop party that occurred the evening of your stay, but you were not around. We are in the process of replacing our mattresses. We hope to see you again!

The hostel is really nice, it´s a big and well taken care of building. Staff is greatly helpful with everything you need. Mattresses could be a lot more comfortable, kitchen could be cleaner and there could be a place for everyone to hang out and meet new people besides the tv room....

My bed was not ready at night. Breakfast was good. Hostel in a good location. No lockers.

Thank you for your review. We were very busy the date of your check in, but your bed was made immediately upon your arrival. You were also informed that it was not made yet. We appreciate your kind words.

Little run down but cheap !

RK Buckner was full and so was every other place (St. Paddys), so I had to stay in Mexico. The next night I stayed at RK in Little Italy. The manager gave me a free night in recompense. A guest stole a tablet from me and important documents from another guy. The staff were aghast that this happened and the police were called. They weren't able to do anything about it since nobody witnessed the theft. Nice staff, good atmosphere, but I won't return. My memories of my stay here will be painful.

It's well located (few blocks from Gaslamp). The beds are incredibly uncomfortable, could easily be better. Rooftop area is pretty nice to hang around. There's a curfew for the kitchen but it wasn't respected. People went in coming back from the bar, drank, smoked and shouted and what not. Thanks to that we couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours for our first 2 nights (room 10 next to the kitchen). Rules weren't respected and for that reason it sucked.

Highly recommend. I had a short job at the Hyatt downtown and just needed a one night stay so that I wouldn't have to drive back and forth. For about the same price as gas and far less hassle I stayed at the Buckner. Close to everything and very nice staff. Excellent value. I would not hesitate to use them again..

• 12th Mar 2015

The Hostel was amazing! And the location was perfect:) Near the hostel is a parking lot, where you can leave your car during your stay which was perfect for me and my friend being on a road trip!

• 10th Mar 2015

I dont know if it was hostelworld or the hostel itself, but they didnt have my reservation when i arrived

• 4th Mar 2015