RK/Buckner hostel Reviews

765 10th Avenue, San Diego, USA

Buckner Hostel is truly up to the task. It has a refreshingly guest oriented approach to everyone, has terrific cable TV in every room, even the 4 bed units, and is but a block away from a gigantic Grocery Outlet supermarket and is a San Diego minute from a toasty Starbucks. US passports are welcome.

I don't know if places changes people, but as long as I was in there, I met extraordinary people, inerntationals and locals. One of he most beauiful period in my life. I met people that show me that everything's possible, that motivated me and helped me keep going on. This hosel has it's own little magic spaces. Each room has its own story, and the patio is the perfect place to connect to the people. I hope I'll be back there one day.

like the place that is why I return

I like the place ,quiet clean , friendly, I will go back.

Overall positive experience, even though the breakfast was more than disappointing (jam and peanut butter were empty, no toasts left, no milk left -> breakfast was simply inexistant). One staff member was neither welcoming nor helpful. She couldn't answer any of our simple questions and just seemed fed up with her customers. The other was much friendlier and willing to help.

Our breakfast at the RK Buckner varies and we aim to please. We have new staff as of 9/1/2014. We understand your comfort starts with us and our ability to provide service. Necessary action has been taken as we have a ZERO tolerance policy towards guest relations.

There needs to be more chairs in the kitchen, perhaps folding. Two is insufficient. The toilet had a habit of leaking and this was most revolting.

• 16th Aug 2014

Wouldn't stay there again! Es war alt, verranzt, dreckig.. es gibt gerade mal 3 Toiletten für 100 Leute und 4 Duschen oder so. Für den Preis sollte es Frühstück geben, welches selten vorhanden war. Die Arbeiter da sind extrem unorganisiert und man musste innerhalb einer Woche teilweise 4 mal das Zimmer wechseln.... Die Lahe ist Top und auch von außen sieht es ganz süß aus. Aber ich würde da definitiv nie wieder bleiben. Da rannten auch überall im Zimmer Kackerlaken rum.

The system was not working appropriately, so my friends and me stayed in separated rooms.

• 7th Aug 2014

- mould in bathroom and probably never cleaned - staff came into room at night - "breakfast served at 8am" - a joke: some bread and cereals on the table in the very dirty kitchen - no ventilation system and window can not be opened ==> Do not stay at this place!

• 7th Aug 2014

Many employees were travelers just staying for free. And when that happens, people tend to care a little less about their job. In the midst of a cross country road trip, my mom (60yrs old) joined me for a week and this was her first hostel experience. We booked an all female room but were placed in a mixed dorm. No big deal really. They don't have enough common/living space to hang out

• 6th Aug 2014

This is my first negative review and I've stayed in over 50 hostels. This place is understaffed, and it's very obvious that whoever runs this place doesn't care about its reputation. It takes forever to check in, and very unorganized. There is no common area and the facility is very old and needs renovations. Take my word, spend an extra $7 to stay somewhere else. There's a reason why it's reviewed poorly.

The RK Buckner hostel offers a very historic stay located downtown San Diego. Our common room has a TV as well as a computer open to all guests. Renovations are a constant with an old historic building. Come enjoy your stay and great San Diego history.

Bathroom: Our cold water tap didnt work. We didnt have any cold water. We didnt get any towels. There were too little showers. Overall: Loud music on the hallway from the hostel. Overall it was very very dirty in the rooms and toilets.

• 25th Jul 2014

Jimmy is the best staff I've met of my last 10 months travel.

Horrible. Tried to charge us for a private room that wasn't even available. It was dirty, smelled of cigs, etc. It was hot (no AC), there was a homeless guy put in our female dorm (we complained & he was moved). The staff was ok but used the hostel for their own private parties til 5am ('We can do whatever we want'), then were really rude when we asked them to be quiet. Would have def asked for refund but there was no way to contact the owner. NEVER AGAIN. I'd rather sleep in the streets.

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Austria

Very nice receptionist.

It was a good location, near the Gaslamp, but it was filled with creepers. I don't know if they were regulars or friends of the people who worked at the hostel but I didn't want to spend any time in the actual hostel. There are better hostels in the same area for the price.

The guy at the front desk try to rip me off ! I booked a single room and already paid 10% for it but when I arrived he asked me for more money, telling me that the hostel was fully booked and that the internet price wasn't updated. After a long talk, I had my room for the same price and discovered that it wasn't a single room but a bed in a dormitory.... Then a second long talk to finally have my single room, same price as in the web, but the lock of the window was broken (1st floor)... BAD

The staff are really unorganised. There are no lockers. Our room was never cleaned even though the housekeepers entered our room - we know because the door was always left unlocked when we returned even though we locked it when we left. And one of the staff is a perve. I don't know his name but he grabbed my arse.

• 24th May 2014

After investigating the matter and checking our security cameras, we have come to believe it was a guest and not one of our staff that touched you without your permission and that person was asked to leave the Hostel. As for the rooms not being cleaned, we do not touch the guests luggage at any time they are not present, so sweeping and vacuuming the floors can be difficult at times. Therefore the beds that had been vacated were made, and the rest was left to be done at a later time.

Hostel stuff is quite unorganized, but location is good and good value for money.

• 23rd May 2014
  • Latvia

We apologize that the staff here seemed unorganized, we have since made all of our staff go through training again, to make sure that they can better serve any guests in the future.

Check-in was a nightmare. Was charged a different price than on my HostelWorld confirmation. Then was told I needed to pay a key deposit but they 'couldn't guarantee' I would get it back because I was leaving at 6:30 AM and nobody would be at reception. Then when I finally got to my room it was tiny and dirty - the sheets were all messed up like somebody was just in there having a nap. I asked for my money back and left.

We checked our receipt books and the price was correct. It states on our page that any price $25.01 per person, per night or above will be charged tax. It is a city regulation. As for the key deposit, we let the guest do a "check-out" the night before so that they can return the key and get their deposit back. We apologize for the miscommunication. Also we are making sure to double check rooms for readiness before checking a guest into their room.