Radeka Downunder Underground Backpackers & Motel Reviews

1 Oliver St, PO Box 808, Coober Pedy, Australia

Only hostel in town. The setting of sleeping in the underground caves is pretty cool, though you will need to be ready to hike up the stairs to get to the bathrooms. There are a couple of power points in the rooms but not many. Wifi can only be found near front desk area. Free parking and a pretty good lounge room. Check out the movie room which features all the movies filmed around Cobber Peady. Kitchen doesn't have bowls, and ovens don't work.

Great place to visit and stay

No blanket included in the price of the stay and there's no doors on the rooms. Not enough plug sockets. Novelty of staying underground is good and the facilities were nice and clean.

The staff was very helpful and the night manager let me up to the sun deck so I could do some stargazing. It was beautiful and he was so kind.

Good hostel, pick-up and drop-off at the Greyhound bus station, free coffee and tea, free wifi. Can be noisy as they are no doors in the dorms. The tour proposed in the breakaways is great!

I'm really fond of the dorm I stayed. when I went there at about 6am, I could stay my room even such a early morning. the underground was much cooler than outside.bathroom was clean. kitchen was not that good though, I still recommend you to stay there!

I still think $35 is a lot to ask for a dorm bed, particularly if it's an open room. Having said that, this is a pretty cool place and just about justifies the price tag. We were there in the height of summer, and the cool underground dorms are a godsend when you've spent the day in 40+ degree heat. If there is 2 of you, I'd suggest upgrading to a double room for an extra $7.50 each. It's worth it just for having a door to close! All things considered, I'd give this place 4 stars.