Rafiki Backpackers Reviews

Uru Road, Moshi, Moshi, Tanzania

Overall the place was good. A little out of town but the cab was only 5000 tsh which is reasonable. The only major issue I had was that our room was next to the washroom and it had a bad odour which we had a hard time getting rid of even after airing the room out and spraying the room with air freshener.

Dear Hena, thank you for your review. We are happy to read that you had a good stay. I am very surprised about your remark regarding the room smell as this is the first time this has been brought up. Be assured though that we will check on it and come up with a solution. All the best from Moshi Stephanie

Very homely and chilled. Great lounge and kitchen. Only reservation I have is one of the members of staff was pressuring me to do a tour. I think hostels should be neutral places where you are not swayed to do tours, rather they could offer advice of free/cheap things to do and clarify good deals. .

I initially booked to stay for only one night upon first arriving in Moshi, but stayed for a lot longer (coming back after every tour - Kilimanjaro and Safari - that I ended up booking with the onsite tour company Viva Africa Tours). Stephanie, Alfred and the rest of the staff were great help with all questions. They truly made all guests feel "Kariboo" (welcome) and helped make the vibe at the hostel what it is (which is pretty great and I felt like I had a family while I was there).

Unfortunately, WIFI services are very inconsistent, and nearly non-existent in sleeping areas. Very frustrating. Have to town in order to get services.

• 4th Dec 2015

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our wifi service. We changed providers just recently to get better coverage, however internet infrastructures are still fairly new in Tanzania. While the networks keep improving, we keep improving our free wifi service. Promise! Internet is only available in the main house. Our apologies for the inconvenience! Best regards from Moshi Stephanie

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend staying at Rafiki if you are considering going to Tanzania. Moshi is a great base for climbing Kilimanjaro and going on Safari, and thanks to the great crew at Rafiki, I was able to do both and stay within my budget. Stephanie was a massive help, and aided me by arranging both my Climb and Safari, and made me feel at home throughout the process. Kennedy was incredibly nice as well, and helped me with local food and even helped me with a clinic when i was in need!

The staff sets this hostel apart. They helped me track down my lost bag, took me out on my first night, booked me the best value Kili/safari package out of anyone I've talked to, drove me into town multiple times and were just generally awesome. The rooms are great and there is a fun restaurant/bar across the street. Solid complimentary breakfast in the morning. Free laundry. HIGHLY recommend this place for anyone looking to visit Moshi and/or climb Kilimanjaro.