Ram Bhawan Residency Reviews

D-20/21 Munshi Ghat, Varanasi, India

I've been staying here for the past 6 years since I've been travelling India. The hostel is always amazing however the hostel hospitality manager was changed and the new one isn't faring so well. I arrived and was given the top floor room when the hostel was vacant in 45 degree Celsius weather. I asked to be shifted and I was for 2 days only to be told I would need to move again. I ended up getting another place just nearby, Ganges Inn that costed me 100₹ more with ac, and private bath.

Thank you Karina for your review and informing us of the elements in our hospitality that did not fair well. The management of Ram Bhawan is still the same: managed at distance with some staff members present in Varanasi. Unfortunately, you booked a top floor room in summer and we could move you to the lower floor only for 2 days, as a group of 15 French volunteers was coming to stay for 2 weeks and had booked the lower floor rooms. We apologise for the inconvenience and hope to host you again

Extremely clean place having the warmth and passion of the people who run it makes Ram Bhawan the best way to experience Varanasi. Thank you Vrinda, Shalini, Debashis, Amarnath, Didi...I will miss you all and I'll cherish the Benaras experience forever.

Wifi was a bit hit and miss, mostly miss. But the free breakfast and lunch made up for it. (Lunch is definitely worth waiting around for one day) The location is a bit tricky to find but once you've orientated yourself, you'll realise how nice and central it is. Biggest complaint would be the mattress, very thin unfortunately which doesn't make for a comfortable sleep.

Solid choice right near the ghats, we stayed for the Holi festival. Sort of a loungey, don't-ever-leave-the-hostel vibe with most the long-term tenants while we there... not sure if this is a product of being part of a 'society', but a bit off-putting from a travelling/adventure perspective. Clean rooms that offer some much needed respite from the chaos outside.

The place is very clean for Indian standard. Beware of mosquitos even in winter. Hotel does not provide toilet paper, so bring your own. Provides hot water kettle and free drinking water. Clean linens. Outdoor shoes must be removed at entrance (keeps place clean) so bring indoor flipflops. A clean place to retreat to after a day outside walking on dirt and shit. Rs200 for temporary membership is little steep. YWCA Delhi charges Rs50.

• 5th Feb 2015
  • All Female Group, 41+

Wonderful people here at the Kautylia Society! The Ram Bhawan residency has a welcoming atmosphere that can make you feel at home immediately. Rooms are simple, but beautiful and clean, in a beautiful traditional building right above the ghat. The included breakfast and lunch is a simple, home-cooked style meal which is excellent as it's not so easy to find such clean and good food in the city. Thank you so much for the hospitality, greatly appreciated!

• 12th Jan 2015