Directions to Red Carabao Community
Map & Directions
DIRECTIONS TO HOSTEL:
Find the Red Carabao at 2819 Felix Huertas Street, Santa Cruz District, Outside the Chinese Cemetery South Gate, Manila. The best landmark for taxis is the Chinese General Hospital on Blumentritt Road.
HOW TO GET HERE:
Do your utmost best to download the Uber.com app on your smartphone and register before arriving in Manila or, when possible, using the airport Wi-Fi. Uber is the cheapest, safest and most convenient way to reach Red Carabao from any point in Metro Manila.
Otherwise, taxi fare is on average only PHP350 from any one of the four (4) separate Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) terminals. Special 'Yellow Airport Taxis' charge 75% over white metered taxis, which can be found by climbing up to the departure wing of any terminal or by walking outside the airport. Tell your driver you want to get to a friend’s house near the Chinese General Hospital on Blumentritt Road in Santa Cruz District, Manila, just 15km from the airport.
From airport terminals 1-2-4: Take Roxas Boulevard north towards Manila City Hall and Quezon Bridge to Quiapo Church. Make a right on Laon-Laan, left on Dimasalang, left on Blumentritt (Chinese Hospital), right on Aurora Boulevard (corner Security Bank), and a final right turn on Felix Huertas (corner Venetian Hotel & Beauty Factory salon). We are the tallest building on the street.
[Tagalog: Mula NAIA terminal 1, 2 o 4, dumaan po kayo ng Roxas Blvd patungong Simbahan ng Quiapo. Sa Quezon Blvd, kumanan ng Laon-Laan bago kumaliwa ng Dimasalang. Sa dulo, kumaliwa sa may Caltex na katapat ng North Cemetery, tapos kumanan ng Aurora Blvd. Kumanan sa ika-5 kanto na may Venetian Hotel at beauty parlor.]
From airport terminal 3: Take the Skyway Toll road north towards Buendia (aka Gil Puyat) through Osmeña. Turn right on Quirino towards Nagtahan Bridge. Continue along Lacson Avenue next to UST and turn right on Dimasalang through the Dangwa flower market, left on Blumentritt (Chinese Hospital), right on Aurora Boulevard (corner Security Bank) traffic light, and a final turn on Felix Huertas Street, the 5th street with Venetian Hotel & a pink hair salon on the corner.
[Tagalog: Mula NAIA terminal 3, mag-Skyway patungo ng Buendia at Osmeña. Kung maari, mag-Quirino at Nagtahan patungo ng UST, Lacson sa Sampaloc. Kanan ng Dimasalanga at bulaklakan ng Dangwa. Sa dulo, kumaliwa sa may Caltex na katapat ng North Cemetery, tapos kumanan ng Aurora Blvd. Kumanan sa ika-5 kanto na may Venetian Hotel at beauty parlor.]
THE ULTRA-BUDGET MODE: Approach airport staff about hourly bus shuttles (20 PHP, 20mins, daytime) to the EDSA LRT Station. At the intersection of Taft and EDSA, hop on the elevated light rail towards Monumento-Roosevelt and alight at Abad Santos Station (15 PHP, 25min, daily 5.30am-9.30pm). Below Abad Santos station, tricycle drivers will know exactly where to take you for 20 pesos (40-cent euro). Rest easy, everything will be fine if you follow these straightforward directions and welcome the adventure. Manila doesn’t have to be so bad!
WHAT TO REMEMBER: As a traveler unfamiliar with the City of Manila, many airport staff will coerce you into taking expensive yellow cabs. When asked where you are staying, always say that you are being hosted at a friend's house and said friend will pay for your fare. This is very effectively deters absurd meter fees and long, circuitous drives. Trust us, just about every traveler who has used this tactic have saved big time.
Be sure to print/copy/photograph the following street-by-street directions to ensure you arrive within 2 hours of your Hostelworld ETA. Again, to be clear, these are the taxicab directions from the airport:
1. Download Uber and enter your destination to save time, hassle and money; the driver will use Waze to drive around traffic, without aoverpaying.
2. Otherwise, climb to the departure wing of your terminal and catch a white metered taxicab unloading passengers. Ignore anyone claiming to be airport staff, advising you not to roam free outside of the terminal. Tell them you have been here many times before!
3. Ask the driver to take you to the CHINESE GENERAL HOSPITAL ON BLUMENTRITT STREET IN SANTA CRUZ DISTRICT. Make sure they know it very well and turn the meter on upon riding. Ask to be driven past City Hall and Quiapo Church. Let the driver know that you are staying at a friend's house, not a guesthouse, and that your friend will pay for the meter upon arrival. This will ensure that you will not fidget with the meter.
3. Once in front of the Chinese Hospital (CGH) on Blumentritt Road, turn RIGHT AT THE AURORA BOULEVARD TRAFFIC LIGHT (corner Security Bank). You will see a 7-Eleven and Silver Drugstore at the intersection.
4. Drive 400 meters before turning right into the fifth street with Venetian Hotel and pink hair spa. That is Felix Huertas and we are the tallest building on the left. Ring the doorbell.