Red Carabao Community Reviews

2819 Felix Huertas Street, Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines

Great hostel. Feels like your at a best friend's mansion

What`s not to love about Red Carabao? With it`s great location in a residential area and attentive and knowledgable staff (Thanks for everything, Aldrich!), Red Carabao is the perfect base to get to know Manila. Be sure to get one of their hand-drawn maps and go on a tour with True Manila while you"re there. - Stefan, Germany

It's more than a ordinary hostel. I felt like I was staying in my home or friend's house. Thank you for everything.

• 16th Jun 2015
  • Turkey

I had an amazing time here. The whole top floor is just for games and socializing so it's awesome. It's close enough to the lrt and near some cool stuff to see. I'll definitely stay here again!

nice, and what I expected. I just had the feeling that no one is really in charge. The responsible person wasn't there and left the house under control of some backpackers^^

Hey, what is wrong with backpackers? They are gr-r-reat!

I enjoyed my stay there. The owner was very friendly, n the crews were very helpful, and the guests were super chatty--we talked a lot. I was very surprised to learn that it is surrending in a poor neighborhood area but secure, walking on the street at night I had no sense of insecurity. I am glad I could stay this area for a few days coz I then understood the real life of local people in Manila, not a fancy modern lifestyle. Overall, it' was quite a good experience for me.

Red Carabao definitively made a difference to my stay in Manila. The familiar feeling, a very good vibe, helpful staff and the perfect environment to mingle make of this place a heaven for solo travelers. The rooftop was amazing and the neighbourhood where it is has a unique personality. Minor setbacks are the basic rooms (no plugs by the bed, and no railings on the upper beds) and the pasable cleaniness, it is not dirty but nor thoroughly clean either. Don´t let these setbacks keep you away!

A Brilliant hostel with a lovely atmosphere. I only stayed for two nights at the Red Carabao, however, I left wishing I could've stayed longer. The people / staff were fantastic and the location of the hostel itself is simply Manila. Its an area where people actually live their every day lives, unlike many other hostels which are located in Makati showing you only 2% of what Manila can be. This place also organises many events / trips so you won't be getting bored. Also a great rooftop area.

• 29th Apr 2015

I enjoyed the atmosphere in the hostel and think the nieghborhood is pretty good for people who want to get a taste of Manila and live close to the downtown. The hostel staff provides excellent information about directions and activities. Thank you very much!

Not your typical hostel but more like a community project ran by other travellers. Located 15 min jeep ride from old downtown. Paid only 204 pesos (4.20 euro) by white taxi from airport Terminal 4 around 22h w/o traffic. Just be sure to check your spam folder or ask for their maps/directions so you will avoid any taxi complications. They welcome volunteers also. Finally you can book flights and bus tickets to LEGAZPI, BANAUE and join TRUE MANILA tour and TAAL Volcano trips some days in advance.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Red Carabao has made my stay in Philippines easier and more joyful, the satff are always happy to assit their guests in all matters which is of great help especially in a big city such as Manila. the atmosphere is very cool you feel like you are home. It is definetly the place t stay in Manila.

• 7th Apr 2015
  • Morocco

Great hostel. Great staff. Aldrich, the guy who runs the place, may come off a little cold at first (first thing he said to me was "you're late." I was late) but he's really a great guy. Very knowledable about Manila and getting around. Even sent out day itineraries and let us know about One Direction live in Manila. Best thing about this hostel though is the location. Being away from the touristy districts, I can say that this was the first real cultural experience I've had so far. Stay at RC!

• 21st Mar 2015

There are many store and restarant near hostel. nice breakfast nd easy to get taxi

This truly is #theworsthostelever. Keep reading. At this hostel you walk in and are immediately welcomed by the staff, travelers and Tomas (3 week old kitten). After that ordeal there is beer in the cooler and a family atmosphere that makes you forget you're far from "home." With a homemade breakfast and group outings. Late nights shooting pool on the rooftop and poetic discussions about travel earns this the #twhe it's not a hostel but a home. Remember be culturally sensitive.

It’s actually a suburb home 10 min to Chinatown run entirely by Ukrainians and other travelers who got me to spend 10 nights in crazy Manila! They organise free dinners, help you with bus tickets and different day trips in a private car (Taal Volcano and Waterfalls) also True Manila. I appreciate that both good & bad reviews are not kept a secret to help you form ideas & laugh. Best part is when Patricia from Brazil brought in a stray kitten which we all helped nurse as the new rooftop pet! EMRE

• 10th Mar 2015
  • Turkey

This is a good and rare find in Manila. The type of hostel that offers a real look into Manila and makes you feel welcome and at home in the surroundings. Great effort in creating a community within the hostel.

I spent the month of February as a Workaway volunteer at Red Carabao. I got to work on a bunch of fun projects like making new signage for the building, getting it ready for a music video shoot, and creating a breakfast menu too! Aldrich is an amazing host and is eager to share his knowledge and love of Manila with everyone who visits Red Carabao. If you are looking for a unique way to travel, I highly suggest using Workaway and spending time here! http://www.workaway.info/639166345443-en.html

• 5th Mar 2015

Had a bad start through getting locked out for a few hours while the employees were out partying but found a place down the st that sells beer so all good stayed for 2 nights met some great folk went on a cool tour got pissed had a cracking time! then a week later went back and had another awesome night cool place out the backstreets where the real people live huge market down the rd very cool rooftop balcony thing overall a pretty cool place.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Not the place to stay if you're in Manila for one night and heading to the airport (it's far). Does have a good community feel and tons of activities for a more than one night stay. I bit awkward that they post rebuttals to all bad reviews around the hostel (and email them to you). Are you looking at my face on one right now??

Everyone should save at least a full day to discover the real, cultural side of Manila few travelers ever get to see. And be part of a family that strives to be fun, active and transparent! See you soon!

The hostel was very nice, especially the rooftop hangout area and the planned activities seemed plentiful. However, it seems if you leave a negative review of the hostel, your full name, age and passport photo could be turned into a poster and put on the wall of the hostel without your consent incl. a sassy rebuttal. This was a topic of conversation among guests, which we all agreed was uncomfortable, unprofessional and rude. I urge management to reconsider that decision.

We’re nice and fun because we’re open and transparent, just like our rooftop!