Red Emperor Bar&Hostel Reviews

Aia 10, Tallinn, Estonia

It may be noisy by the crowd outside or the music of club. My sleeping was disturbed.

95% beds were booked by 1 group of people, so it was really, really unsociable. It was a pain to ring the doorbell every time we want to come in instead of other hostels where you can swipe card. I had to pay in cash which really annoyed me because they wouldn't take card because of "bank issues". The beds were super wobbly and creaky. Also my booking confirmation said breakfast at the hostel was available for €3 but when I checked in they told me just to go to the supermarket.

I had a good stay here. Everything was pretty nice.

Loved this hostel. Great location and staff. Unusual decor which gives it great character. Across from a supermarket which is handy. The Soviet prison tour is well worth doing. Staff members were all great. Helpful and friendly. Dorms had enough space and plenty plug sockets. I would definitely stay here again.

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! The staf was really friendly, everything was clean, and the location was great. What I especially liked about this hostel was the bar it had attached to it, this was very convenient. There were always lots of people in the bar and there was a good atmosphere in both the bar and the common room, making it very easy to meet people.

Great location right in the Old City. Bunk beds were SUPER wobbly and noisy, every time I breathed or turned it moved, and I always worried I was going to fall climbing down from my bed. The room only had three power sockets and they were on the other side of the room from my bed. The common area and bathrooms/showers were clean. You get a free locker, but it's in the main area so everyone can see you putting your stuff away. This is not a hostel to stay in if you like privacy.

Really wonderful experience! The staff was so friendly and helpful (thanks Lucyann and Matt!), it was centrally located, and the bar next door was a lot of fun. You could get drinks for €1 in the hostel every evening, and the kitchen and common room are connected and always had people getting to know one another and having a good time. Great experience!

The staff were friendly and were very approachable. By far one of the best hostels I've stayed in!

• 12th Jul 2015
  • Malaysia

Great hostel, everything you could ever want in a hostel really... Excellent security in place to be fair. Hostel is very close to all the main sights too. Bit shout out to Agata. Highly recommend this hostel to all. Loved the very happy hour ;))))

Perfect place to stay in Riga. Red emperor provides a fun social atmosphere in the heart of old town. Staff are super friendly and helpful and happy to organize day trips/ tours and point out the best local spots to eat and drink. Every evening, events like beer pong tournaments and karaoke night guarantee you will easily meet other travelers however the party moves into the bar after a certain hour so you are sure to get a good nights sleep as well. Facilities are clean and cozy.

I can say that I had a good experience there apart from a little problem. First of all, the hostel mentions that it has parking spots and because we were driving from Lithuania with my friend, we expected to be able to park but apparently the 'owner' was not there and we had to pay 20 euros to park the car in a parking spot next to the hostel. Apart from that, the staff were very polite and helpful and also they arrange pub crawls that is an amazing opportunity to see the nightlife of Tallinn.

Kitchen closing at night is a bummer. There is not a lot to it if you are not going to the bar every night.

• 9th Jul 2015

One of the best hostels I've ever been in. Clean, close to old town, amazing atmosphere, great stuff, good rooms, etc. The only negative thing to mention is that the beds are a bit wobbly. However, I had an amazing time in Tallinn and the Red Emperor, and I don't say that because I have a beard.

Loved the vibe.

Great location right outside old town. The dorms are nice but the showers smell a bit musty. The staff were welcoming and approachable. Also they give free towels!

This place has everything you need - comfortable rooms and bathrooms, lots of sightseeing tips, superfriendly and helpful staff, happy beer hours, great common room and they organize pub crawls. Add two bars, funky wall paintings and you receive a complete hostel. One little drawback is poor room ventilation - even with the fan turned on and open window, the air was getting hot in the night when you sleeped on upper bed. Nevertheless, if I come back, I will definitely stay at Red Emperor.

Great location and reasonably priced.

Probably one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. The environment was super laid back and the staff were always ready to help. The bar attached to the property was excellent and its only a short walk to the center of old town - as far as value is concerned, this place offers a lot for a small price.

Very helpful hostel staff. Loved that I could rent a bike and have laundry done. Suggestions for improvement: just have one door that you use, rather than one during the day and one at night. It's confusing and I don't feel like walking through a bar that can smell of spilled beer. If that requires you to rig up a louder alarm on the doorbell, it'd be well worth it. Also, my door didn't actually lock (Croatia bed).

Truely awesome place. From the amazingly homely hostell with its clean kitchen and verry functional common room with its own mini bar (pints are cheap as chips) to its fully equipped bar with events and activities happening every night!! Staff are all brilliant helpfull people. Cant recommend this place enough!!

• 1st Jul 2015