Red Lantern House Reviews

No.5 Zhengjue Hutong, Xinjie Kou, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

This place was pretty good. Nice communal area to meet people with a koi pond inside. It's located on a cool Hutong, but the Hutong wakes up early so if your room is on that side you've already got an alarm clock. Located close to the metro and restaurants too

Nice and authentic place in a very real area of Beijing. Clean, big room with Chinese furniture, good wifi signal, clean toilets and showers and extremely helpful and friendly staff. And they speak English, all of them! I would stay there again!

Very relaxed atmosphere, very good location in a nice Hutong. My room was very quiet, no noise from the streat or the market next to it. Internet performance is spotty, but I think this is rather Chinese Internet than the Hostel. Staff is very friendly, speaks good English. Take the phone number with you when going there, I didn´t find it at first.

Staying at the Red Lantern in Beijing was wonderful. This place was extremely clean, in a great location, it offered a unique Asian style atmosphere with services that tops five star hotels. The staff was professional, friendly, very helpful with all accommodations. The locations is a real treat, located in the Hutong community, allowing us to experience the old Beijing's historical heritage. A true value for your money. OUTSTANDING STAY!! Williams and staff are the best!

• 25th Oct 2014

Staff very helpful

Great hostel in a great location. The nearby lakes and hutong are excellent and very convenient for the subway which was very easy to use. Hostel also walk-able within 1 hour to the main sights. Staff were helpful and friendly. Also lovely food at the hostel. Was very impressed overall. Would have liked to have had a locker in the room for belongings/valuables and only drawback was a noisy alley on one side of the hostel which was loud in the mornings.

The directions provided were not very good and we had to find our own way. They told us to get off at a bus stop that was quite a walk, whereas we could have just gotten a subway that stopped only a short walk away. The subway is also much easier for first time visitors than navigating the bus system. The great wall tour was good, well timed and the price was ok, not great. Room was alright, I don't think very good value for money though.

• 1st Oct 2014

this is a typical hostel for backpackers, good occasion to meet new people. one bathroom for all guests. room with window but it was impossible to open it. very humid air inside hostel, especially inside room. a lot of chinese things decorations which are not clean - full of dust. Dust dust and one more time dust!!

As you can see from my rating of Red Lantern House I absolutely love this place. It's a cheery, friendly place to return to with a charming atmosphere. Three extra comments though; the Dairy Queen ice cream franchise at the corner of Zhengjue Hutong has been taken over by a Chinese company. Look out for the bright orange building! Mcdonald's....is not there. Ignore! Xinjiekou on Line 4 much nearer. Exit B turn left, walk 200m to junction, cross over, walk right. Hutong 100m on left.

• 14th Sep 2014

Room was adequate, clean and pretty:) hosts were friendly and helpful! Computers are avail for use at no cost! You can also print at 50 cent rmb per piece. Wifi could not be detected in our room, thay was the only inconvenience. Train station is located 500m away. Row of shops located 100m away (do check out mutton skewers nearby, REALLY GOOD). Really value for money! Would really recommend it!:)

First hostel I have ever stayed in - the directions to the hostel were fantastic as I came of Jishutan subway walked to DQ and headed down the hutong as instructed. The rooms and hostel ar cleaned constantly, the showers are amazingly powerful and constant, I've been able to do my laundry in the sink and hang it up and it drys in the communal area no problem, there are two computers almost always available for when I need as my iphone is dead to the world and I've had to leave it, and hot water!

Very good atmospher, in the beautyful Beijing Hutongs. Best place to be

Charming in every way. Set in a Hutong just north of the Forbidden City, the Red Lantern is a wonderful hostel, with his beautifully decorated and where staff will do almost anything to help you in your stay. The hostel itself is set off from the main road and rooms face into a lovely and peaceful courtyard, where you can sit and have a drink while you plan your evening expedition. I would recommend this highly and will stay again.

• 19th Aug 2014

+: Great location near some nice "Hutongs" +: Great western style breakfasts +: Rooms are clean and basic and AC works very quiet, although beds are hard (as almost everywhere in China) +: Courtyard looks amazing and the common area is very cozy and welcoming +: Showers/toilets were clean whenever I went -: Wifi was up and down, bit annoying -: Staff is helpful, but not as helpful as you experience in most hostels throughout China

Beautiful hostel ! The atmosphere was really relaxing and the staff members were all very nice and helpful. It's well located, near the "Hutongs" tourist area of Beijing and 5-mins walking from the subway station. The laundry service is perfect (they take care of everything and it's the only hostel where we did not lose some clothes). Public areas (showers, dining tables, ...) could be cleaner but it's good enough. We booked a night to the famous opera of Beijing with them and it was great !

It's a wonderful hostel. The atmosphere is brilliant, good showers, good aircon. They offer a cheap laundry service, have a small restaurant included (for lazy tourists) and have very friendly and well-informed staff. We booked a tour to the great wall with them. It was excellent. Also, it's situated in a busy, non-touristy street and relatively close to the metro.

Enjoyed my stay. Hostel has a nice family-run vibe, and is located a short walk from the subway. It was very clean, comfortable, and the staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. Would stay again. One thing - the internet was very slow and often not working. There are plenty of places to find wifi, but it was annoying when trying to look stuff up to do or how to get places.

• 20th Jul 2014

The over all atmosphere and accommodations were great with just a couple places where they fell short. First, the wifi was very weak and unreliable. We couldn't make use of it during the 2 days we were there. Secondly, though they apparently offer some sort of food menu, we were never told about it or could find it - we just saw others eating. It seems they are missing out on an opportunity to make extra money if they tell guests and publicize it.

• 16th Jul 2014

I have traveled from Africa to India and all over Europe and China, the Yellow House was by far the best place I have ever stayed. Breakfast was wonderful and so clean! Highly recommend! July 21, 2014

• 14th Jul 2014

I was placed in the "garden" hostel of the two they owned. It was secluded even though being in the middle of the hutong. I booked a single room and it was very good size and clean. The staff at the garden one did not speak English very well.