Red Lantern House Reviews

No.5 Zhengjue Hutong, Xinjie Kou, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Room was adequate, clean and pretty:) hosts were friendly and helpful! Computers are avail for use at no cost! You can also print at 50 cent rmb per piece. Wifi could not be detected in our room, thay was the only inconvenience. Train station is located 500m away. Row of shops located 100m away (do check out mutton skewers nearby, REALLY GOOD). Really value for money! Would really recommend it!:)

• 8th Sep 2014
  • Singapore

First hostel I have ever stayed in - the directions to the hostel were fantastic as I came of Jishutan subway walked to DQ and headed down the hutong as instructed. The rooms and hostel ar cleaned constantly, the showers are amazingly powerful and constant, I've been able to do my laundry in the sink and hang it up and it drys in the communal area no problem, there are two computers almost always available for when I need as my iphone is dead to the world and I've had to leave it, and hot water!

• 31st Aug 2014

Very good atmospher, in the beautyful Beijing Hutongs. Best place to be

Charming in every way. Set in a Hutong just north of the Forbidden City, the Red Lantern is a wonderful hostel, with his beautifully decorated and where staff will do almost anything to help you in your stay. The hostel itself is set off from the main road and rooms face into a lovely and peaceful courtyard, where you can sit and have a drink while you plan your evening expedition. I would recommend this highly and will stay again.

• 19th Aug 2014

+: Great location near some nice "Hutongs" +: Great western style breakfasts +: Rooms are clean and basic and AC works very quiet, although beds are hard (as almost everywhere in China) +: Courtyard looks amazing and the common area is very cozy and welcoming +: Showers/toilets were clean whenever I went -: Wifi was up and down, bit annoying -: Staff is helpful, but not as helpful as you experience in most hostels throughout China

Beautiful hostel ! The atmosphere was really relaxing and the staff members were all very nice and helpful. It's well located, near the "Hutongs" tourist area of Beijing and 5-mins walking from the subway station. The laundry service is perfect (they take care of everything and it's the only hostel where we did not lose some clothes). Public areas (showers, dining tables, ...) could be cleaner but it's good enough. We booked a night to the famous opera of Beijing with them and it was great !

It's a wonderful hostel. The atmosphere is brilliant, good showers, good aircon. They offer a cheap laundry service, have a small restaurant included (for lazy tourists) and have very friendly and well-informed staff. We booked a tour to the great wall with them. It was excellent. Also, it's situated in a busy, non-touristy street and relatively close to the metro.

Enjoyed my stay. Hostel has a nice family-run vibe, and is located a short walk from the subway. It was very clean, comfortable, and the staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. Would stay again. One thing - the internet was very slow and often not working. There are plenty of places to find wifi, but it was annoying when trying to look stuff up to do or how to get places.

• 20th Jul 2014

The over all atmosphere and accommodations were great with just a couple places where they fell short. First, the wifi was very weak and unreliable. We couldn't make use of it during the 2 days we were there. Secondly, though they apparently offer some sort of food menu, we were never told about it or could find it - we just saw others eating. It seems they are missing out on an opportunity to make extra money if they tell guests and publicize it.

• 16th Jul 2014

I have traveled from Africa to India and all over Europe and China, the Yellow House was by far the best place I have ever stayed. Breakfast was wonderful and so clean! Highly recommend! July 21, 2014

• 14th Jul 2014

I was placed in the "garden" hostel of the two they owned. It was secluded even though being in the middle of the hutong. I booked a single room and it was very good size and clean. The staff at the garden one did not speak English very well.

We were impressed with the friendliness of all the staff, especially the drivers.

I always really enjoy staying at the Red Lantern. The staff are very friendly, helpful and accommodating and it's set in a peaceful location. I love walking the surrounding hutongs, shopping at the street markets and strolling round the nearby Xihai and Houhai lakes!!!

• 12th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

If you want a sanitized experience go stay at a Hilton or Ramada or whatever and visit the hutong outside the lama temple But if you want a value for money, a clean and comfortable room, the convenience of english speaking staff, handy location (5 min walk from subway with the trick being to head left when coming out of exit B), and what seemed to me to be an authentic (everyday Beijinger's) hutong experience where everything is still humming at 11 pm, go to the Red Lantern

• 11th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Feeling at home!! Extremely nice atmosphere, kind people, nice building and rooms, simple and clean. Delicious Chinese food. Highly recommended!

Warm welcome. Very efficient travel agency services. Gorgeous Chinese atmosphere. Beautiful garden with fishes and birds. Western breakfast included. Located in the hutongs’ district not far from public transportation (bus, metro) but somewhat difficult to find when arriving the first time. Close to a number of good restaurants.

Located in a traditional hutong, not so far away from the subway station. Good housekeeping. Efficient train ticket service. My single room was around 10m², with AC and a good bed. Nice courtyard. Quiet by night. The main interest of this place is the on-demand food service, for a reasonable price. Breakfast can be bought for around Y20. Good cheap beers also.

I had a very pleasant stay, nice and very friendly people

• 30th May 2014
  • China

The hostel was nestled in a lovely hutong, giving it an added charm. The staff were friendly and helpful when we had an early morning check out. The only downside was that we had issues connecting to the wifi in common area.

The staff were incredibly helpful and Friendly, writing us out directions and bus route to take on the first day without us asking. Hostel had a great atmosphere, cheap beers, a great courtyard and communal Spaces and bikes to hire which was our best day by far!