Red Lantern House Reviews

No.5 Zhengjue Hutong, Xinjie Kou, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Very well maintained place with charming friendly staff The facilities are very good for a backpacker hotel.

• 5th Aug 2015

No one should have to wait 4 HOURS FOR A ROOM!!!! Especially if I wrote down 8am for check in time. Not to mention as we we waiting for our rooms (since neither were ready) we witnessed another couple who checked in be assigned a similar room immediately. We were also asked to present our passports numerous time as the receptionist studied and examined it as if we were criminals. We witnessed no one else who checked in receive this treatment- just a quick look, scan, then return it. Not with us.

• 4th Aug 2015

500m from subway makes the access to entire city very easy. Hutong where hostel is located has its climate, we have enjoyed it. Great staff, very friendly and open.

This is an excellent hostel located in a Hutong. The commons area is spacious and beautiful, and it's easy to meet a lot of other people there. The staff is very helpful, too- my flight to Beijing was delayed by 8 hours and I came in at 2am, but a staff member was waiting for me and gave me the key to my room. The one thing they can work on is their breakfast, which is pretty mediocre.

It is a very nice hostel with quite good location, very friendly and helpful staff that spet English. I recommend staying there. Additional value is that you can do laundry. The from the bar are very cheap to some other hostels I stayed in

• 29th Jul 2015
  • Slovenia

Really nice hostel with a lot of goldfish. Familiar atmosphere, stuff war pleasant and helpful. Room war small, but clean, there was a good aircondition, so there were no mosquitos in the room.

Not as good as it was 9 years ago when we stayed. The original building is still the same but their other property does not have as much character.

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Small but cosy room. Do not take the continental breakfast! Perfect location at busy street, but inside it's quiet.

• 18th Jul 2015

very nice place and enjoyeable

I'm really satisfied with spending 2 nights in Red Lantern, nice and clean, especcially great atmosphere in the evening, staff speak english well and willing to help you with any questions you have. Recommend!

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Belarus

The location is great, right in the middle of the hutong. The beds and the facilities are also good. All in all, the hostel is ok, you can feel it is family owned, even though the staff is not the friendliest one.

Great hostel! Really good location along one of Beijing's old alleyways. The hostel offered a Great Wall trip, which was well worth the money. Highly recommend this place.

Overall a very pleasant stay for me. Love the comfy courtyard/communal area. Very uniquely decorated house and room and the place provides a carefree feel.

Top marks for atmosphere in this family-run hostel cos you feel right at home (their home) here. Clean and cosy rooms and the showers and toilets are big and there are lots of sinks. The staff is really friendly and lets you use the computers if you need them and they offer meals too. The pets also add to the feel of the place. It is in a fantastic location of town and great for exploring the nearby lakes.

À really nice and beautiful hostel in one of the best original hutong in Beijing( well I think) In the hutong you can eat till late and is cheap as well.

The pretty courtyard here was great, and the helpful staff spoke excellent English. We actually liked the atmosphere at the other annex where we checked in a little better, though. The location was fun among the twisting hutong alleys of Beijing. On the negative side, the decor was outdated in our room, and we didn't like the open shower (although the bathroom was kept nicely clean since staff mopped up the water that didn't drain from the bathroom floor).

Centrally situated, easily accessible to most attractions. The living room is fascinatingly decorated in full colours and designs. Bathing and room facilities are comfortable to use. Staff with service mind can be assistive and informative. The place is situated in a nice and peaceful Hutong away from city atmosphere. I do like this place.

Wonderful environment! Good location in the Hutongs and near Houhai. The staff are also very helpful and speak English. We loved it here!