Refugio Hostel Reviews

Rua das Laranjeiras, 125, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Nice hostel , staff was very friendly, the locations is perfect , I recommend everyone to stay in this hostel , very nice !

Excellent hostel, staff always very friendly and helpfull! Clean rooms, kitchen, showers, ... Good breakfast! Nothing bad to say about it.

Everything about this hostel is right on the money except perhaps the location and atmosphere (It's neither walking distance from the beaches or lapa's nightlife, but halfway between the two). However the rooms are spacious and comfortable, there's a great kitchen, good communal areas, and a decent breakfast. It's also clean and reasonably priced. Not a party hostel (for better or worse).

one of the best hostel in Rio, I recommend

Refugio was one of the best hostels I've stayed at! The staff (Nino, Sandro and Marcela) are absolutely amazing! They're super knowledgeable and always go out of their way to answer any questions. The location is perfect, literally a metro on the corner and super close to Christ Redeemer and Sugarloaf! I've stayed in a lot of hostels in Rio (mainly Leblon) but I've never felt so sad after leaving a hostel like this time. Just brilliant in every way! Thanks!

Very good hostel: It was always clean, the area is very safe, it´s close to the metro, the installations are great, the stuff is very, very friendly and helpfull, the breakfast is perfect to begin the day with good energy (one of the healthiest I had so far)... I really don´t have anything to complain about. They also seem to be quite conscious about the environment (recycle bins, saving water...) which was nice to see too! :-)

Friendly staff...Nice, clean, and great location.

• 28th Mar 2014

The best experience I've ever had. The place is very cozy, the staff very helpful. Near to the subway station, near to Corcovado. I really had fun at Refugio and for sure I'm going to recomend this place and come back soon!

• 21st Mar 2014

Refugio absolutely dazzles in every way. Not only is it located in a great neighborhood with plenty of eating and drinking options, but the staff and atmosphere make you feel like you are right at home as soon as you step in the door. The owner, Ricardo is an amazing guy with a ton of energy and motivation to show his guests why Rio is such a wonderful city. He will lead you on free hikes to Rios most beautiful locations, and if youre lucky, you may even get to go surfing with this legend! Go!!!

• 20th Mar 2014

This place is outstanding. The first day I arrived, I told the owner, Rick, that I really wanted to climb the Sugar Loaf (since I knew he climbs). Rick actually delivered and took ten amateurs the Sugar Loaf, with the help of a climbing buddy. He did this in his free time, and it made my trip. He also made us caprinhas everday and even found us tickets to the Sambadrome to watch the Carnaval parade at a very reasonable price. The hostel itself was in great shape, with an indoor climbing wall.

• 1st Mar 2014

Fantastic experience at Refugio! I would definitely come back and recommend it to friends. The hospitality of all the staff and the owner Rick made this a really smooth and enjoyable stay for me (first time in Brazil). Low noise, friendly travellers, and great amenities in a central location are all excellent elements for this hostel. I dont have a single complaint. Ask Rick about the hiking and climbing tours ;)

Very nice hostel with good facilities and a friendly atmosphere. Close to the metro. Helpful staff and a great owner who organized a hiking trip and bbq for free.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Super hostel. I stayed here during the Carnival (so it was busy) but there was still lots of space to hang out in. The owner, Rick, is incredibly kind and goes out of his way to help and make your stay memorable. The other staff were great too, Joel and Jack. The breakfasts (cereal, fresh fruit, ham, cheese, yogurt etc.) were the best I had in South America and the lunches there each day were delicious and great value. Having that option made things easy. Highly recommend Refugio

Amaxing place, cleqneat ive stayed in in brazil.breakfast yum,lots of choice.staff very helpful.x

Refugio Hostel was an amazing experience! The atmosphere in the hostel is warm, relaxed, and extremely welcoming. From the moment I walked in I felt at home and part of the hostel family. The hospitality shown by Rick and his staff was outstanding and far exceeded my expectations and prior experiences. The facilities are kept very clean and tidy on a daily basis. Great location from most attractions no more than a few short stops in the metro in either direction. I highly recommend Refugio!

• 26th Feb 2014

The hostel is in a residential location but very close to the metro station. The hostel is slightly on the expensive side compared to others. The owner had organised a carnival party one night. The breakfast is also quiet good with loads of choices.

I can't say enough nice things about Refugio hostel. The staff are excellent, so helpful and friendly. The facilities are also excellent and the location is very near a large supermarket and a metro station, The hostel opens to the public for lunch which is delicious. I stayed during Carnivale and the owner took us out on a hike to the Sugar Loaf mountain which was a once in a lifetime experience. I would recommend this hostel to anyone, such a great experience and really lovely people.

The owner at Refugio, Riccardo, is one of the kindest, most genuine people I have met! For the 10 days we stayed over carnaval, he helped in any way he could. It was my birthday during this time and he helped me to celebrate it with my friends which meant so much. He offered his own resources and time to provide activities free of cost. Riccardo and his wife Barbara were extremely welcoming and created an excellent atmosphere amongst the guests by arranging social events. Thank you very much!

• 23rd Feb 2014

Great place, lovely stuff , nice breakfast. All in all it was a great stay. Also only 20 min walk to the tram that takes you to Corcovado ( Jesus statue)

Great hostel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing that I didn't like was that A/C only can be turned on at night. I would stay on this hostel again.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels