Refugio Hostel Reviews

Rua das Laranjeiras, 125, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I've really enjoyed the stay, the atmosphere and staff are great, and I love the neighborhood (not my first time in Rio). I'd stay there again... But I've to say, I got really disappointed with all the sand on my bedroom. Come on, is it to hard to sweep once a while? And the bathroom on the bedrooms' side is a joke: really short walls and no doors for the showers, only white curtains - on an unisex WC! They have really nice bathrooms like 20 meters from this one, though, so I took a nice shower.

• 17th May 2014

Great location, close to the subway. Bikes to rent if you wanna go for a ride around town. Great facilities, great breakfast. Lunch is not included, but is a very good price for the area. Staff super friendly (Nino and Marcela) and helpful as well. The owner knows about all the good hiking places in Rio and is super helpful in that regard, I enjoyed it a lot. Different side of Rio.

• 16th May 2014

Nothing special.

I was very happy with my stay there. THE STAFF ARE NICE AND THERE IS A GOOD BUFFET BREAKFAST.

Pretty good hostel. It's in a safe location and close to the metro station. Certainly a more quiet atmosphere when I was there and there weren't any organized events/outings by the staff. Still, I had a good time there and the staff were friendly. The rooms were also pretty solid and facilities were great. As many have pointed out, great breakfast! (and lunch is cheap there)

Thanks for the great tips!!!! Ireally enjoyed my stay in Refugio hostel

Friendly and always very helpful reception staff - thanks so much Sandro and Marcela! The breakfast was basic but sufficient. Freshly laundered sheets and towels, but the beds are due for replacements and should not be wrapped in vinyl. The vinyl retains your body heat, so you wake up in sweats at night. The mattresses were extremely soft so you literally sink into them - not comfortable. The bathrooms and kitchen are clean. They have a computer available for guests to use for free. Thumbs up!

• 3rd May 2014

I loved this hostel. I just have some cheap and easy tips: they have to put a soap dish and a place to hang shampoo in the bathrooms and they need to put a deodorizer that works. The owner should not allow to smoke in the kitchen area. The breakfast is amazing! Congratulations!

Great little chilled hostel. Good starting point for walking to christ the redeemer. Heaps of supermarkets nearby. Metro station within ten mins walk. Would have been nice if the upstairs wifi worked, you could only get good access downstairs. Liked the fans in the dorms. Hated the old keys for the doors, it took way too much time/intelligence just to open a door - especially annoying at 3am when a roommate arrives home. But, Comfy pillows! Would recommend.

Good hostel. Central location close to a metro station makes it easy to get everywhere. Very good breakfast (fresh juice, healthy cereals, bread, ham, cheese, fresh fruits, good coffee and selection of different teas) and good price for Rio. The hostel felt a bit deserted when I was there, though, and I missed a good hang out area to read or talk to other travellers. The lunch offered at Refugio is really good and cheap for Rio - try it at least one! Kitchen good be better equipped.

• 27th Apr 2014
  • Denmark

Helpful staff( Sandro,Marcela and Niño the manager were absolutely kindness like a small family) good facilities, safe, amazing terrace with BBQ place, Free Caipis twice a week clean bathrooms and big rooms. Best Breakfast I had in Rio (almost 5 different hostels) Metro station 2 blocks from the hostel, Very recommended hostel. Stay there!!!

This is what you want if you stay in a hostel! Rooms, staff, breakfast, facilities, location...all perfect!

• 22nd Apr 2014

Cleaning Ladies do a good job and the all the people at the reception desk speak English well. A lack of good restaurants in the area is a problem (and be prepared to pay $6 USD/kg at the nearest laundry) but the kitchen is well equipped.(just bring your own tea and mug to put it in). All in all very good.

Great hostel in Rio with friendly and helpful staff. The location is good near the metro Largo do Machado and is also near to lots of shops and restaurants, which are generally cheaper than those in the Zona Sul. Each bed has a locker and there are a few showers, so never had to wait. They were kind enough to store my luggage when I went away for a few days as well. Would definitely choose this hostel again if I was back in Rio.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in, atmosphere was great, breakfast was amazing. Had so much fun, the staff was incredibly helpful and went out of their way to make both my stay and others great. They helped me w/airport transfers locating various points of interest. Full disclosure, I'm a vegetarian. There were several restaurants in the area that had vegetarian options including Kappa Maki. Few subway stops from beach. Fee based bus service in square that takes you to Christ the Redeemer.

Great hostel., very cool building. Free caiparinhas night was great, the owner happily told us to have as many as we wanted. We left before we could have the bbq dinner but it looked wonderful. Breakfast was great and even out earlier than scheduled. Great kitchen. Air conditioning and fans in the room were wonderful. Easy location to everything, would happily go back.

These guys are the best! The staff really takes hospitality and customer service to a new level, Nino Marcela and team are passionate about their work and can help you experience the best Rio has to offer. Its very near to public transportation, a 5min walk to Largos Do Marchado station and near many local bus lines. The hostel is very clean, it has good Wi-Fi and many open communal areas for hanging out and meeting new people. STAY HERE and find that all you are looking for in a hostel!

• 18th Apr 2014

Lovely hostel great lunch, great location, stayed to short to enjoy it fully but I will come back again.

Best hostel I've ever stayed in my entire trip!! I felt at home, very clean, very comfortable(they provide towels and blanked),AC good, best breakfast ive had in months (8 - 10 early), safe, and two blocks from the subway. 10min from any good place in Rio (Copacabana Beach, Lapa, Botanic gardens, downtown, Nino and his crew Xandro and MarcelA are very helpful.(Dont miss the chance to go to Rio Daytrip, very good deal. I will definitely come back. xoxo

Nice hostel , staff was very friendly, the locations is perfect , I recommend everyone to stay in this hostel , very nice !

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels