Refugio Hostel Reviews

Rua das Laranjeiras, 125, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

These guys are the best! The staff really takes hospitality and customer service to a new level, Nino Marcela and team are passionate about their work and can help you experience the best Rio has to offer. Its very near to public transportation, a 5min walk to Largos Do Marchado station and near many local bus lines. The hostel is very clean, it has good Wi-Fi and many open communal areas for hanging out and meeting new people. STAY HERE and find that all you are looking for in a hostel!

• 18th Apr 2014

Lovely hostel great lunch, great location, stayed to short to enjoy it fully but I will come back again.

Best hostel I've ever stayed in my entire trip!! I felt at home, very clean, very comfortable(they provide towels and blanked),AC good, best breakfast ive had in months (8 - 10 early), safe, and two blocks from the subway. 10min from any good place in Rio (Copacabana Beach, Lapa, Botanic gardens, downtown, Nino and his crew Xandro and MarcelA are very helpful.(Dont miss the chance to go to Rio Daytrip, very good deal. I will definitely come back. xoxo

Nice hostel , staff was very friendly, the locations is perfect , I recommend everyone to stay in this hostel , very nice !

The staff here were really nice and helpful and the facilities were quite nice. WiFi is only available in the attached bistro downstairs, which you can't use during when the bistro is open for lunch but otherwise everything was good.

Best hostel in rio and I stayed in a few

• 7th Apr 2014

Great hostel. Friendly and nice staff. Convenient location. Thank you.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Belarus

Excellent hostel, staff always very friendly and helpfull! Clean rooms, kitchen, showers, ... Good breakfast! Nothing bad to say about it.

Everything about this hostel is right on the money except perhaps the location and atmosphere (It's neither walking distance from the beaches or lapa's nightlife, but halfway between the two). However the rooms are spacious and comfortable, there's a great kitchen, good communal areas, and a decent breakfast. It's also clean and reasonably priced. Not a party hostel (for better or worse).

one of the best hostel in Rio, I recommend

Refugio was one of the best hostels I've stayed at! The staff (Nino, Sandro and Marcela) are absolutely amazing! They're super knowledgeable and always go out of their way to answer any questions. The location is perfect, literally a metro on the corner and super close to Christ Redeemer and Sugarloaf! I've stayed in a lot of hostels in Rio (mainly Leblon) but I've never felt so sad after leaving a hostel like this time. Just brilliant in every way! Thanks!

Very good hostel: It was always clean, the area is very safe, it´s close to the metro, the installations are great, the stuff is very, very friendly and helpfull, the breakfast is perfect to begin the day with good energy (one of the healthiest I had so far)... I really don´t have anything to complain about. They also seem to be quite conscious about the environment (recycle bins, saving water...) which was nice to see too! :-)

Friendly staff...Nice, clean, and great location.

• 28th Mar 2014

The best experience I've ever had. The place is very cozy, the staff very helpful. Near to the subway station, near to Corcovado. I really had fun at Refugio and for sure I'm going to recomend this place and come back soon!

• 21st Mar 2014

Refugio absolutely dazzles in every way. Not only is it located in a great neighborhood with plenty of eating and drinking options, but the staff and atmosphere make you feel like you are right at home as soon as you step in the door. The owner, Ricardo is an amazing guy with a ton of energy and motivation to show his guests why Rio is such a wonderful city. He will lead you on free hikes to Rios most beautiful locations, and if youre lucky, you may even get to go surfing with this legend! Go!!!

• 20th Mar 2014

This place is outstanding. The first day I arrived, I told the owner, Rick, that I really wanted to climb the Sugar Loaf (since I knew he climbs). Rick actually delivered and took ten amateurs the Sugar Loaf, with the help of a climbing buddy. He did this in his free time, and it made my trip. He also made us caprinhas everday and even found us tickets to the Sambadrome to watch the Carnaval parade at a very reasonable price. The hostel itself was in great shape, with an indoor climbing wall.

• 1st Mar 2014

Fantastic experience at Refugio! I would definitely come back and recommend it to friends. The hospitality of all the staff and the owner Rick made this a really smooth and enjoyable stay for me (first time in Brazil). Low noise, friendly travellers, and great amenities in a central location are all excellent elements for this hostel. I dont have a single complaint. Ask Rick about the hiking and climbing tours ;)

Very nice hostel with good facilities and a friendly atmosphere. Close to the metro. Helpful staff and a great owner who organized a hiking trip and bbq for free.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Super hostel. I stayed here during the Carnival (so it was busy) but there was still lots of space to hang out in. The owner, Rick, is incredibly kind and goes out of his way to help and make your stay memorable. The other staff were great too, Joel and Jack. The breakfasts (cereal, fresh fruit, ham, cheese, yogurt etc.) were the best I had in South America and the lunches there each day were delicious and great value. Having that option made things easy. Highly recommend Refugio

Amaxing place, cleqneat ive stayed in in brazil.breakfast yum,lots of choice.staff very helpful.x

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels