Refugio Hostel Reviews

Rua das Laranjeiras, 125, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I loved this hostel. Great Staff, (Nino and Sam thanks for amazing tips) Comfortable beds, safe area, amazing terrace and Chill out area. Very good kitchen, baths are clean. They need to boost the wi fi (got some problems on the day i was there). I truly recommend this hostel.

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Portugal

Everybody was really friendly! They even grilled to see the brasilian game, felt like home!

We were very satisfied. Breakfast was great a was the staff. I would return

• 9th Jun 2014

Nice place, good location

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

this hostel could benefit from some sort of soft seating like sofas or beanbags, didn't like the plastic bed covers as it was very sweaty, and the 10 bed dorm was cramped with a low ceiling which made it a bit claustrophobic on the top bunk, but it's a nice old building so not much they can do about that! the staff were really friendly & helpful, and the kitchen area was really good - thanks :-)

Super friendly stuff, safe area, good breakfast, safe luggage storage, convenient for bus or metro to go around, nice place to stay.

excellent staff, good location, nice historic building, good facilities. Only minus for me was the plastic matress cover (I don't like sleeping on that).

Awesome Hostel, safe area, Staff (Sandro and Ninho), Great Facilities, Baths are Clean, and beds are comfortable. The whole staff work hard, and the manager Ninho show us the best tips to do in town, hikes, parties and cultural tours as well. On the weekend, he made a barbecue with free caipis for everyone! Stay here if you want a genuine experience!

This hostel is great! It's near from the most importants locations in the city. Moreover, the staff are amazing! Nino, the owner, was very cool and did everything to make our stay in Rio very comfortable. Clean rooms and bathrooms. We recommend!

The bathrooms could be looked over just a little more, refill soap and take out the paper bins more often maybe. A bar would also be nice but I guess that is in the making all ready :)

I've really enjoyed the stay, the atmosphere and staff are great, and I love the neighborhood (not my first time in Rio). I'd stay there again... But I've to say, I got really disappointed with all the sand on my bedroom. Come on, is it to hard to sweep once a while? And the bathroom on the bedrooms' side is a joke: really short walls and no doors for the showers, only white curtains - on an unisex WC! They have really nice bathrooms like 20 meters from this one, though, so I took a nice shower.

• 17th May 2014

Great location, close to the subway. Bikes to rent if you wanna go for a ride around town. Great facilities, great breakfast. Lunch is not included, but is a very good price for the area. Staff super friendly (Nino and Marcela) and helpful as well. The owner knows about all the good hiking places in Rio and is super helpful in that regard, I enjoyed it a lot. Different side of Rio.

• 16th May 2014

Nothing special.

I was very happy with my stay there. THE STAFF ARE NICE AND THERE IS A GOOD BUFFET BREAKFAST.

Pretty good hostel. It's in a safe location and close to the metro station. Certainly a more quiet atmosphere when I was there and there weren't any organized events/outings by the staff. Still, I had a good time there and the staff were friendly. The rooms were also pretty solid and facilities were great. As many have pointed out, great breakfast! (and lunch is cheap there)

Thanks for the great tips!!!! Ireally enjoyed my stay in Refugio hostel

Friendly and always very helpful reception staff - thanks so much Sandro and Marcela! The breakfast was basic but sufficient. Freshly laundered sheets and towels, but the beds are due for replacements and should not be wrapped in vinyl. The vinyl retains your body heat, so you wake up in sweats at night. The mattresses were extremely soft so you literally sink into them - not comfortable. The bathrooms and kitchen are clean. They have a computer available for guests to use for free. Thumbs up!

• 3rd May 2014

I loved this hostel. I just have some cheap and easy tips: they have to put a soap dish and a place to hang shampoo in the bathrooms and they need to put a deodorizer that works. The owner should not allow to smoke in the kitchen area. The breakfast is amazing! Congratulations!

Great little chilled hostel. Good starting point for walking to christ the redeemer. Heaps of supermarkets nearby. Metro station within ten mins walk. Would have been nice if the upstairs wifi worked, you could only get good access downstairs. Liked the fans in the dorms. Hated the old keys for the doors, it took way too much time/intelligence just to open a door - especially annoying at 3am when a roommate arrives home. But, Comfy pillows! Would recommend.

Good hostel. Central location close to a metro station makes it easy to get everywhere. Very good breakfast (fresh juice, healthy cereals, bread, ham, cheese, fresh fruits, good coffee and selection of different teas) and good price for Rio. The hostel felt a bit deserted when I was there, though, and I missed a good hang out area to read or talk to other travellers. The lunch offered at Refugio is really good and cheap for Rio - try it at least one! Kitchen good be better equipped.

• 27th Apr 2014