Retro Moldova Hostel Reviews

str. Cosbuc 3, ap.24, Chisinau, Moldova

A great little place in central Chisinau with friendly and helpful staff. Unfortunately there's only one bathroom which can cause trouble in the morning when people are showering. It's very good value for money though.

Spent 12 days there, I can only say good things about it.

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Bad location. If it hadnt been for that Romanin guy I met on the bus to Chisinau, I wouldnt have found it. No signs. The neighborhood gets pretty dark at night, I had to use the flash light of my phone. Frankly, it was scarry, especially for girls. They want you to pay extra 50 lei for early checking. That wasnt nice. No other hostel demands it. It is an old russian house with only one toilet inside bahtroom. Four pictures of Lenin were on the wall of my room. All in all, dont go there.

Excellent hostel experience. The hostel is a huge building, not far from the old town. The dorm rooms are big with high ceilings. There is a big kitchen with gas stove and clean bathrooms. There is a large common room and a garden outside. The staff, especially Ramona, is friendly and helpful. FRee bottled drink every night you stay.

I loved this hostel! It's actually a cute and big apartment with terrace on the ground floor. Atmosphere is friendly, stay is very friendly too. Very nice company, good talks. I also noticed that, instead of most hostels, beds are already fully ready. You don't need to prepare them before sleeping. If you're looking for a hostel in Chisinau, now you know where to go. You won't regret it! :-D

We had a great stay at the Retro Moldova Hostel. Very nice employees, also very helpful and with perfect english. They also offer day tours with guide to see some of the monasteries, winery, etc. Highly recommended!

Nice, cosy hostel with a good atmosphere. The location was good, around 15 minutes walk from the center. There was no sound-isolation and VERY easy to hear the other guests. We saw bugs a couple of times and the breakfast was quite bad. One of the days the bread was several days old, very dry and with green spots. I think they overpriced the trips pretty much, so if you have time, try to find an alternative.

Difficult to recommend but I did enjoy my stay because I only slept there. Location is hard to find, in an older apt. building. Comfortable bed, cramped room, no lockers, 1 bathroom incl toilet shared by 3 different dorm rooms, bathroom needs repairs & not cleaned well, has mold. Owner spends his time & money on his other hostel. Wifi works, staff are very nice, owner charges a lot for a tour. Suggest you rally others rent your own car to tour the wineries, & other locations (20 euros/day).

This is a good place to stay in Chisinau. It is in a neighborhood that is quiet at night, yet the hostel is only 5 minutes to the center. Friendly and helpful staff.

What sets this hostel apart from the others in Chisinau is the staff. In particular Cristina and Svetlana were so friendly and made the stay very enjoyable. They would go out of their way to make sure the guests were happy and although they work very long shifts were always happy to help. I actually extended my stay because of them. The hostel is small and can be a bit cramped depending on the crowd staying but has enough basic facilities to allow some cooking. The bathroom/ rooms are kept clean

This is the best hostel in Chisinau only because this is the only hostel in Chisinau. One bathroom for ~15 people and extremely small "common area" will feel you like at home. Since early morning, lady working at hostel was cleaning first bathroom making us queuing for half an hour and then kitchen making us move from one corner to another during breakfast (seriously, everybody was annoyed like hell! couldn't you do that after check-out time?!). Otherwise, location and stuff and nice.