Retrometro Backpackers Reviews

2-19-1 Nishiasakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

It was old, but a great place, meeting many different travelers. Their common room was just a seating area next to the staff counter, very small and crowded. Very friendly staff.

Friendly backpackers with good dorms in a handy location of Asakusa.

Clean, safe, with a very friendly staff. I could have gone for a more "party" hostel, but still met lots of nice people from all around the world.

• 6th Oct 2014

The hostel is near to a lot of Tokyo's attractions: 30 minute walk to Sky Tree, and there's a temple somewhere between. But we haven't got the chance to roam around since we went outside Tokyo and it rained on the morning we sort-of planned to roam. The hostel staff were very helpful on which attractions you can actually walk to from the hostel. But I sort of did not like that we have to be barefooted inside the hostel. Some accommodations provided us with "inside only" slippers.

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Philippines

This hostel was great. The staff were all adorable and super helpful, I'll miss em. I also met some very special peeps here. Hi-5's all round. I hope to come back gain soon :)

Good location in Asakusa, not far from metro station and very easy to find following the indications provided. The hostel is clean, and being a renewed old house has a very authentic atmosphere, I loved its design. I was completely satisfied with all of its facilities. The staff is very helpful and kind and will give you advice about the neighbourhood. Retrometro is a convenient choice for your wallet, and a really good place to rest after a day in bustling Tokyo.

I stayed here for 6 nights and overall it was fantastic. It attracts a really lovely bunch of people and it's location is perfect. There are small lockers in reception for valuables and if you have anything bigger they can store them in the office for you.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Very nice hostel. I have stayed at a different hostel before this one and I must say this is by far superior. The bathrooms and toilets are surprisingly clean, the staffs are attentive to my needs (they even let me keep my luggage there for a couple hours after I checked out so I could do some sightseeing). The hostel was mostly booked during my stay but the atmosphere was still quiet and relaxed and no long lines for bathrooms/toilets.

• 9th Aug 2014

Cozy hostel in Asakusa, great to walk around the area and well connected to other areas of Tokyo. Showers and toilets were super clean every day despite the hostel was fully booked during my stay!! No lockers in the rooms, but they offer a luggage room if you prefer so. Enjoy their wonderful japanese style breakfast in the morning! Very nice and helpful staff!

This is a small and cozy hostel. They only have two rooms, so there would be no more than twenty people when it's full. The cleanliness is superb, and the shower rooms are a bit more spacious than other hostels I've stayed. I particularly like their stylish interior design. Above all, the hostess would introduce guests to each other, so you would definitely initiate conversations with other travellers. It's an ideal place if you want to interact with more people.

The staff were really friendly and the facilities were great. The only thing was that it was a bit too hot in the room, but I guess that is mostly due to the weather those days.

Retrometro is the best hostel in the World. I truly enjoyed it!

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

I liked the wooden interior and decor. Beds, although bunked beds, where really spacious and comfy. The living room / common room with all the cushions and material to read invites to stay and relax. Overall the hostel is clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. I tried my first Japanese Breakfast there -mmhh Miso Soup- for just 300 Yen!

it was a really cute and cozy place. the description on how to get there from the airport is spot on - use the correct subway exit, count the crosswalks and turn left at the kebab stand... the staff was really really helpful. next time I'm in Tokyo, I'll definitely stay there again!

• 7th Jun 2014

I am now in Canada and missing the high standards (thanks for playing Hi-Standard by the way) of Japanese hostels. This one is a cozy little hostel in a good location with friendly staff and a nice vibe.

One of my favorite hostels so far! The staff is great and super friendly, the place is cozy and comfortable, and in a great quiet location close by a few train stations and major tourist attractions. I loved the way the rooms were set up, beding was comfortable, rooms were a nice size, and a bathroom upstairs near each dorm room. A toilet and 2 showers were just downstairs. 300 Yen breakfast was yummy and well worth it. I will be back again!