Retrometro Backpackers Reviews

2-19-1 Nishiasakusa, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

I had a very good stay there. It's a small hostel, only 14 beds, located in a quiet street, but only 10 min walk from the famous Senso-ji and close to transportation. Staff is amazingly helpful and friendly and will always come to you to ask what you did, how it was and advise you about other places. The hostel is kinda new, don't get fooled by its old-style appearance, that's its spirit. Once there, you'll just feel like home !

Not a lot of space (normal in Tokyo), good atmosphere and cool areaarea. Thumbs up!

Very cosy place. Friendly staff. Will definitely come back.

This was a nice, cozy hostel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the location was good - near where the firework festival in Asakusa was held. My only complaint was that despite having air conditioning in the dorm, it was still quite warm, which made it a bit difficult to sleep. But, that was minor. Overall, a good stay.

My second visit to Japan but my first stay in a hostel and I really felt so at home. Will do that again when I am next in Asakusa. The other guests were so nice and sociable. Age range was just perfect.

• 21st Jul 2015

Small, cozy. The opening hours are strict.

Retrometro has everything that you need - friendly, knowledgeable staff and comfortable beds (rare for Japan, and with a much appreciated privacy curtain). But compared to other hostels I stayed in in Tokyo, I don't think that you get the same value for money. 'Cosy' is a stretch - realistically, the hostel is pretty cramped. Shower facilities are not fantastic. It's within 10 minutes of several stations, but if you're visiting places in Tokyo, the location is not great but it's good for Nikko.

Lovely friendly atmosphere throughout - the staff are accomodating, the open front room during the day is relaxing and inviting while the bunks in the rooms are comfortable and give you some privacy. Their handmade guidebook of local places to eat and drink is absolutely gorgeous. Will definitely stay again next I'm in Tokyo.

Good hostel

Very intimate hostel, lots of character, great walking distance to Asakusa area, thank you for having us

Wonderful place to stay! Clean, calm and freindly. A home-like atmosphere. The staff was really nice.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Taiwan

Curtains on the bed. Free facial cleanser/cream, shampoo, and body soap. Staff was very nice and friendly although it is a small hostel so the reception hours are quite limited. Overall, I enjoyed my time here. Good wifi even in the rooms unlike some other hostels. It's a 15 min walk away from the Tokyo Skytree and there are lots of good ramen places nearby.

Really lovely hostel. Staff were friendly and helpful and able to provide lots of recommendations of places to go. Asakusa is a really cool part of Tokyo that I probably wouldn't have spent much time in if I wasn't saying here. Good for wandering around, and three or four different subway stations within walking distance.

Such sweet, helpful people working at RetroMetro. I loved the fact that it's smaller and cozy-- you get to know the other people staying there, unlike at bigger hostels. The staff was good about introducing you to the other guests, too, so it helped eliminate any awkwardness :). Fairly good location, great beds/setup, super clean shower with GREAT water pressure and temp!! The common area could use a more comfortable place to sit/hangout but that's my only complaint!! Definitely stay here!

This cute little hostel is a perfect place to stay. It's only a 5 minute walk to the station which will more than likely be your only mode of transport. There are only 2 dorms and it's very small, but I think that's what makes it unique. Although it is not in the centre of Tokyo, there is still much to do in the immediate area. The staff member was very helpful and even set me up with another group to go and have dinner. There's no storage for your luggage in your room, but they have free locker

• 6th Apr 2015

Excellent staff very helpful and friendly and they know the area pretty well. The location is good moderately close to the nearest station and close to an public bath and the major things to see in the area. Would gladly come back for another stay.

• 2nd Apr 2015

The hostel was really hard to find but once I was there it was great, good location, met some cool people and the staff were very helpful.

I love my stay here! perfect place to stay and perfect breakfast to star the journey!!!

Retro metro is awesome!!! Super clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Overall a comfortable place to stay. I would highly recommend it!

Really nice small guesthouse with great character. The location in a small side street was really neat... It was a cool little street. The guesthouse itself is quite small but has everything you need and a friendly vibe. Lots of Japanese and Korean guests so I didn't have many big English conversations but that suited me fine. The bunks were really comfortable and had a curtain for privacy = great! Would definitely recommend this to a 30+ traveller who is there for culture rather than party.