Reykjavik Backpackers Reviews

Laugavegur 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

I had an excellent time at Reykjavik Backpackers. I broke my ankle a couple of weeks before my trip, and they were very helpful in accommodating me. I was also very impressed by how clean the hostel was, especially the bathrooms. It was a very nice place!

You can't find a better location! Its right in the city center on the central street. All shops and bars are right there. But that equals lots of noise from the bars. If you're looking for quiet time this hostel is not for you. But definitely value for money

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Finland

A really fantastic hostel in a great location.

• 8th Mar 2014

Perfect location, staff are fantastic and happy to help with anything. Lots of bathrooms and showers and the kitchen is small but good. Metal bunk beds = very squeaky but hostel provides free ear plugs to help. I would recommend to friends and stay here again. Thanks guys!

I loved the hostel! The staff was very helpful with suggesting what to visit. Also, after making a mistake and putting me in a mixed dorm rather than a female dorm, the staff was very helpful, gave me a discount and offered to put me in a female dorm or a private room when the former wasn't available, at no extra cost. The atmosphere is good, though there is no true "common room" where everyone could meet, only small rooms on every floor and a table by the reception.

• 2nd Mar 2014

The staff was very helpfull and friendly. The location was great! the cleaniness wasn't the best and kitchen was pretty poor and somewhat dirty. Kitchen didnt have enough equipments so didnt really feel like using it. I found our experience in the hostel was satisfying though. The bar was great as well. Good happy hour deals and pretty good food.

really nice hostel!

The staff are so nice!! They help us a lot! The tools in the kitchen are completed. The entire environment is very clean. We had a fantastic experience in Backpackers. Just 2 points to advise: 1) It would be better if there is a computer for guests to search information such as bank account status. 2) It would be better if the hostel can accept the paying by euro. Sometimes there are some problems with the credit card or debit card. It is really embarrassing when the card is not working.

It was a great stay. The staff were fantastic in organising our late night arrival and helping us with tours.

Staff here were awful. There was never anybody at reception and when I arrived I had to be let in by an annoyed bartender. None of the staff were approachable and they could not answer my question about where to eat nearby (strange!) and where the closest shopping market was. Showers had also not been cleaned or checked in 5 days. It is also on a very loud, Main Street so if you're not going to Reyjavik to party, you will not be able to sleep at this hostel. I do not reccommend at all.

• 3rd Jan 2014

Decent hostel. I was only there one night, which I was pleased about because the facilities weren't very clean, the staff was only semi-helpful and my room was freezing. The bar downstairs is a nice touch though and was in a good location

I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone.The staff was very helpful.Just be aware wifi is only available on 2nd floor and lobby.I enjoyed the atmosphere at the bunk bar.Go iceland....

• 10th Dec 2013

Loved my stay at this hostel! Extended my stay to over a week -- the staff are super helpful and gave so many tips for the best excursions and local things to do. Location is central but careful on Saturday nights because the club is next door so you'll hear the music until 3-4am. Cannot wait to come back! :) Actually saw the Northern lights on the rooftop of the hostel!

great location right on the strip!

Everything was excellent, except blanket which you have to pay extra :(

Thank you for the review, We can keep the prices lower if we don't include the duvets. The majority of our guests bring their sleeping bag or own blanket so we have these two options, bringing your own or renting. There is always a sheet, pillow and pillow case on the beds included in the price. Hope to see you again! Best regards, Backpackers staff,,,,

A great place to stay, clean and warm and centrally located. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. I will definately return to this hostel again.

• 3rd Nov 2013

Thank you the review! We're looking forward in seeing you again, Best regards, The Backpackers staff ;)

I remembered this hostel from last year as being a lively, fun place. This year the only positive things about it were its location and the friendliness of some of the receptionists. Otherwise it needs serious refurbishing (think kitchen, bedrooms), second floor shower had missing/broken lock, etc. And it was expensive.

Thank you for the review, We appreciate all comments and are constantly trying to improve both the service and facilities. Our prices are always available online and we encourage our guests to make a comparison before booking. This weekend our Bunk bar was an off venue at the Airwaves music festival. Therefore our regular schedule wasn't as usual. We welcome all guests at Bunk bar and Cava restaurant and hope they take advantage of the offers they have. Best regards, Backpackers

Love this place even more since their renovation. Great location and very clean. Skip the breakfast in Bunk and go to KEX for their tasty breakfast.