Reykjavik Backpackers Reviews

Laugavegur 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

This hostel is connected to a very popular bar with locals who like to party to all hours. Not a good place for someone who wants quiet. There is one TINY kitchen for the main hostel and 3 outside buildings. It is WAY to small and very dirty. There is no freezer in the kitchen. We canceled our last night on the way home and stayed somewhere else.

Love the decoration

Staff was not terribly helpful.The washrooms were not very clean. Also forget about possibly sleeping with all the street noise.

The value for money is average because Reykjavik is such an expensive place. The price is very expensive for a hostel, but is in line with how expensive everything else in Reykjavik is. When we checked in, we were warned that it gets loud and offered complimentary earplugs, but it wasn't noisy the night we stayed at all.

• 13th Jul 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Good spot right on Laugavegur, but small, cramped, loud, and a bit dirty

The location is great and that is where it ends! This place is really not clean at all!!! Seems like it is just a bar that just has a hostel because it has the space

This place is a true hostel. It's located right in the middle of town, where you'd want to be, by all the bars restaurants and the famous church, reception is super helpful, there's places to chill and meet people, lockers, sufficient bathrooms and showers, bag storage, it's great! it's not overpriced so don't think you're getting ripped off. would highly recommend

I very rarely have an issue staying at hostels but I draw the line at cum stains on the curtains. There was no communal atmosphere at all. Just a place to sleep if you can. The 8 person dorm facing the street had a small window that would open, but not enough to prevent the room from becoming a moist humid box. No breakfast, no linens which was also fine but at least put some effort and pride into your hostel.

Very noisy place

Very well situated hostel in the heart of Reykjavik. Facilities are good except for a bad internet connection. Very social atmosphere.

Great hostel! Iceland in general is very expensive, but this hostel eased that cost a little. The location couldn't really be any better, it's right at the heart of Reykjavik. It's not a huge hostel which means the atmosphere in the common areas was pretty awesome. The rooftop patio/balcony was definitely the social spot from 8pm to 11pm and is great for people-watching since it is above the main shopping/food/drink street. I recommend buying breakfast at the hostel, very cheap.

Cape of hooks on the walls or a hanger for clothes would improve comfort drastically.

Advise people to avoid.

Cool place, but the wifi in the rooms was pretty terrible

Right on the Main Street with a bar downstairs. Some serious dimes working as well

I booked a single room with a shared bath - for 109 EURO. The price is vast high!!!; I received a twin room with a big mirror, no wardrobe- no hooks, no chair for hanging the clothes!!! the Wi-Fi connection was not possible, only in the main building! The very small kitchen was in the 4th floor in the main building, and often were the 6 chairs already occupied! I slept very well. the staff was friendly and helpful. The entrance is a coffee shop\bar and the location in the center.

Focus is on the bar downstairs, but the hostel is nice - if you don't mind being in the center of town and hearing the late-night drunks!

Hostel was pretty good. Clean rooms and washrooms. Good that they had lockers even though it had to be paid for. Benedickt was very helpful in helping me book the bus from the airport and guiding me on what to do. Wish the hostel had a lift and complimentary coffee like they did on the first day- not sure if it was an Independence Day special or what.

This hostel met our needs perfectly fine. Their excellent location (right on Laugavegur, the main shopping street), comes with the downside of loud night music coming from the street and bars below (be prepared to be kept awake until 2 or 3am especially on Friday and Saturday nights). Our room was very stark - no storage or other furniture besides the bunks - but again, this is a budget hostel. The staff were very willing to help us, and the bathrooms were always clean.

I understand Iceland is pricey, I understand basic economics of supply and demand, I understand the location and everything, in the end I still feel this is hostel is borderline immorally expensive. As a hostel it is great value and good fun, it is priced however as an Amsterdam 4 star hotel and even taking into consideration aforementioned stuff this is too much money in my opinion.

• 5th Jun 2015