Reykjavik Backpackers Reviews

Laugavegur 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

I stayed in a bedroom with 8 people. The size of the window was ridiculous, thus providing very little oxygen. The door could only be closed when being loudly slammed. I'm not even gonna mention that there is only one lightswitch that makes the whole room go incredibly bright....

staff were great, but some of the cliental were very unpleasant. luckily I was able to change rooms. This soured the experience somewhat. Also, the music is very loud on weekends and Monday so earplugs are required. Several showers broken and look like they have been for some time.

• 14th Jul 2014

Great location right on the main street. Downstairs is a bar/restaurant. If your after a good nights sleep you may want to look elsewhere as the nightlife doesn't kick off till midnight downstairs. All the lights on my floor cut out mid afternoon and no one at the hostel fixed it till the next morning. All the bathroom were pitch black. The kitchen was very basic with no kettle or toaster. I was expecting better as Iceland is expensive and I wanted to save money by cooking a few meals myself.

Iceland is expensive in general, but this hostel is well worth the money spent!

The place was noisy... not that I minded. Wifi was only to be used in the bar and in the 1st floor. Kitchen only for the guests on 4th floor. Other than that, friendly staff, cool bar, very clean (one shower was funny though) and in the very middle of the city. I would choose it again.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Spain

Great location. Comfortable beds. Great heating. There was an odd stagnant smell in the showers that was present for the duration of our stay which was very unpleasant. Some of the staff also seemed cranky.

Dear Guest, first of all, thank you for you review. I just wanted to make you sure that our housekeeping team is doing their best and they are cleaning the bathrooms on a daily basis. Sometimes even more often, but it is impossible to clean it after each guest. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Reykjavik Backpackers and wish you happy travels. Michal

Perfect location, place is very clean, friendly staff.

• 19th Jun 2014

The hostel is located in the main touristic street of Reykjavik. Just 5mins walking from all the pubs, supermarket 1min walking distance. It's situated above a bar that doubles as the lobby, so it's always guaranteed to have people around. Worth the visit.

• 18th Jun 2014

A good stay. Fresh paint and art work. Kitchens ok for communal living.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

The plus sides first- excellent location. Plug points by every bed. Bathrooms not en suite but there are enough so it's never busy. Helpful staff. Downside- it's noisy. They gave us only one key card for the room for the two of us and it was a pain when we wanted to go and do different things. They said they were short on key cards but they should get some more. It is not fair for guests to have to share key cards. Also, I found some security concerns which I have written to hostelworld about.

Dear Guest, thank you for the review and also for the note about the security issue. We fixed the problem already. Regards, Michal

The location is great and the staff helpfull, but the rooms were poor and not clean. Price/quality is out of balance.

Staff were very accommodating and friendly. Beds were a little saggy and weekend nights got a bit loud but those are the only complaints and the hostel is on the main bar street in the city so its a bit to be expected.

Tremendous location in Central Reykjavik - quite noisy at night but that did not bother me. Private room on the third floor was adequate but the shared bathroom, particularly the shower was awful and needs upgrading. Some of the staff were pleasant and helpful, many thanks to them, sadly others were disinterested and even obstructive. The café bar on ground floor had a great atmosphere.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Great hostel, right in the center of the city. Friendly staff, who know the city well and can recommend places to go. Also provide help in renting cars, tours etc... Would definitely recommend!

I loved this hostel! Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. I was even down the street getting coffee (at an awesome bakery they recommended) and I would have missed my bus if one of the staff hadn't come running down the street to grab me. Just generally very helpful and friendly. Met some great people and could not be better situated in the city- as long as you aren't bothered by a little noise on the weekend.

• 29th May 2014

The person at the desk mentioned the noise when we checked in but it was WAY louder than they lead us to believe.

Dear Guest, I'd like to thank you for the stay! I am sorry for the noise It's not a rule that there is noise every night but where there is (caused by the surrounded bars) we provide earplugs for free. Next time if you have some problem, try to speak with the person on the reception :) Happy travels! All the best, Michal

Reykjavik Backpackers's greatest draw is its location: it is on a great street in Reykjavik where you can eat and shop and get anywhere you need to. The hostel does a good job of making you feel like it is easy to connect to the city and get things done. You can book trips from the front desk and book your shuttle to and from the airport as well. The staff was responsive over email, which eased my nerves going to a new country but less friendly in person. The community bathroom was very clean.

Fantastic location in the middle of town but let down by simple things like lack of lockers and temperamental wifi. The ground floor cafe bar was busy every night I was there snd it was not peak tourist time so expect crowds in summer. They appeared to be doing some work on the place so maybe by summer season they will be ready to go.

Overall, we had a great experience at this hostel. Not sure if it's the norm to pay for blankets and towels, felt as if it would have been more fair if that was included. Otherwise, great experience! Would definitely return.

• 15th May 2014
  • Fiji

Dear Guest, first of all let me thank you for staying in Reykjavik Backpackers, I hope that you had nice time in here. We must charge for the blankets due to keep the prices low. I hope to see you in the future :) Michal

Good: The staff were super friendly and very helpful. They gave me many travel tips for Iceland and were happy to answer all of my questions. I arrived very late at night and my bed was already made for me which was really nice. Bad: I stayed in a 6 bedroom mixed dorm, which only had one tiny window to ventilate the entire room. This meant it was unbelievably hot and smelt terrible.