Reykjavik Backpackers Reviews

Laugavegur 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Very well situated hostel in the heart of Reykjavik. Facilities are good except for a bad internet connection. Very social atmosphere.

Great hostel! Iceland in general is very expensive, but this hostel eased that cost a little. The location couldn't really be any better, it's right at the heart of Reykjavik. It's not a huge hostel which means the atmosphere in the common areas was pretty awesome. The rooftop patio/balcony was definitely the social spot from 8pm to 11pm and is great for people-watching since it is above the main shopping/food/drink street. I recommend buying breakfast at the hostel, very cheap.

• 30th Jun 2015

Advise people to avoid.

• 27th Jun 2015
  • South Africa

Cool place, but the wifi in the rooms was pretty terrible

Right on the Main Street with a bar downstairs. Some serious dimes working as well

Focus is on the bar downstairs, but the hostel is nice - if you don't mind being in the center of town and hearing the late-night drunks!

Hostel was pretty good. Clean rooms and washrooms. Good that they had lockers even though it had to be paid for. Benedickt was very helpful in helping me book the bus from the airport and guiding me on what to do. Wish the hostel had a lift and complimentary coffee like they did on the first day- not sure if it was an Independence Day special or what.

This hostel met our needs perfectly fine. Their excellent location (right on Laugavegur, the main shopping street), comes with the downside of loud night music coming from the street and bars below (be prepared to be kept awake until 2 or 3am especially on Friday and Saturday nights). Our room was very stark - no storage or other furniture besides the bunks - but again, this is a budget hostel. The staff were very willing to help us, and the bathrooms were always clean.

I understand Iceland is pricey, I understand basic economics of supply and demand, I understand the location and everything, in the end I still feel this is hostel is borderline immorally expensive. As a hostel it is great value and good fun, it is priced however as an Amsterdam 4 star hotel and even taking into consideration aforementioned stuff this is too much money in my opinion.

• 5th Jun 2015

Backpackers is situated in the perfect location if you are interested in Reykjavik nightlife. The bar below the hostel is on the Main Street and full of hostel stayers and locals alike on weekends. It is also on the main walking street nears tons of bars, and a 5 min walk to the center. It's not the cleanest place of all time, but it's a social hostel with a nice staff and great bar. As a solo traveler, I was able to meet a few others to go out at night and split a car during the day.

I slept really really well, even though the hostel is located in the heart of town right above a bar. It was also nice and cosy - a warm place to stay. Met many nice people in the hostel, many other solo travellers.

The hostel is in a very good location, it is clean, and the staff are generally very friendly and willing to help.

• 12th May 2015

Staff not very friendly. Poor value for money. Broken chairs in the kitchen.

Great staff, great happy hour specials and discounts for guests.

I can't honestly think of a BETTER location for a hostel in Reykjavik. The staff was extremely kind and helpful, and the cafe downstairs is great! The kitchen is a little small but never got too cramped, and overall I felt very safe/welcome!!

Pros: Double rooms in the backyard are very quiet :-) Cons: Room had just 2 beds + one chair - no table, no more chairs, not even a wardrobe or at least a hook for wet clothes...

• 3rd Apr 2015

I had a blast staying at Reykjavik Backpackers. The atmosphere was perfect for a holiday weekend in the city. It's a great base location and close to everything. The facilities were just right for what we needed. The bar/lobby was a great place to start an evening out on the town

The location is perfect if you're wanting to be downtown. Food was good. Super awesome that we could store our bags there even before or after we checked out. The staff was super helpful as well.

• 28th Mar 2015

Easy place to stay right in the centre of town

We had a good stay here, staff were efficient if not the friendliest we've ever come across. You can get a breakfast for £5 which is probably one of the cheapest in the city centre. It's useful to be able to cook as well as meals out are so expensive. Really good location and we didn't find it too noisy as night.

• 4th Mar 2015