Reykjavik Backpackers Reviews

Laugavegur 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

despite the great location and the staff, the hostel itself was a let down. it was too expensive for the facilities. bed was very unconfortable. I was at the top bunk and the matress was of really thin foam. i could feel all the boards. also the toilets during the nigt smelt really bad like fetival toilets. i would recommend a refurbismnet of the rooms and toilets. a common are with a coffee machine maybr would also be nice. there was no way to mingle with anyoneexceot for the pub downstairs...

Dirty environment and hard to move into. Not at all comfortable, even for just one night stay.

The hostel is in a fantastic location, right on the main drag in downtown Reykjavik. I found it to be quite noisy with lots of creaking doors and paper-thin walls. There was only one bathroom and shower up on the top floor which wasn't the greatest and the wi-fi was patchy at best. Overall, though, it was pretty good value for money in an unbeatable location.

The hostel has an amazing location right on the main street in Reykyavik and around 5-10min walk from where the airport bus drops off. The bar/restaurant downstairs is really cool and there's an awesome common area on the top floor. I'd definitely stay here again if I ever come back to Reykyavik

6 ppl dorm is tiny, it should be 4 ppl max. no space to even open your luggage. Comparing to City hostel Reykyavik, facilities are poor, place is excelent though.

not what we expected, size of room (we had an 8-dorm) was good, but beds were very hard. kitchen is badly equiped and in a poor condition (tab was broken, there were no towels to dry dish after cleaning, we asked for it, one day after the towel had disappeared again), 2 of 4 showers were closed and toilets were dirty). When you look for a hostel just to sleep in at a party week-end, it would be okay, otherwise I would recommend an other accomodation...

• 9th Aug 2015

I would recommend Backpackers to any other travellers visiting Reykjavik/surrounding area independently. The hostel suited me perfectly as I was not visiting for a party experience - the hostel is peaceful, and staff are quick and efficient moving any partygoers on. That said, the social experience of the hostel was great and the bar downstairs is a bonus. The hostel was always clean, value for money and staff were incredibly helpful+patient with questions+when I changed my plans last minute.

• 6th Aug 2015

The hostel was in a great location, I really enjoyed staying there. There isn't a common room except for the kitchen so we all just hung out there instead. Even though it was small, it made it really easy to meet new people.

• 5th Aug 2015

Really need to improve cleanliness. Kitchen, toilet, showers were never cleaned properly

Great location and helpful staff. Very noisey though so ear plugs definitely required. There during summer and the curtains were very poor to keep the 24hr day light out. Kitchen was pretty good and bathrooms too although showers were fairly dirty.

Good enough. Very central. Not that easy to meet people but we managed to make some friends.

This hostel is connected to a very popular bar with locals who like to party to all hours. Not a good place for someone who wants quiet. There is one TINY kitchen for the main hostel and 3 outside buildings. It is WAY to small and very dirty. There is no freezer in the kitchen. We canceled our last night on the way home and stayed somewhere else.

Love the decoration

Staff was not terribly helpful.The washrooms were not very clean. Also forget about possibly sleeping with all the street noise.

The value for money is average because Reykjavik is such an expensive place. The price is very expensive for a hostel, but is in line with how expensive everything else in Reykjavik is. When we checked in, we were warned that it gets loud and offered complimentary earplugs, but it wasn't noisy the night we stayed at all.

• 13th Jul 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Good spot right on Laugavegur, but small, cramped, loud, and a bit dirty

The location is great and that is where it ends! This place is really not clean at all!!! Seems like it is just a bar that just has a hostel because it has the space

This place is a true hostel. It's located right in the middle of town, where you'd want to be, by all the bars restaurants and the famous church, reception is super helpful, there's places to chill and meet people, lockers, sufficient bathrooms and showers, bag storage, it's great! it's not overpriced so don't think you're getting ripped off. would highly recommend

I very rarely have an issue staying at hostels but I draw the line at cum stains on the curtains. There was no communal atmosphere at all. Just a place to sleep if you can. The 8 person dorm facing the street had a small window that would open, but not enough to prevent the room from becoming a moist humid box. No breakfast, no linens which was also fine but at least put some effort and pride into your hostel.

Very noisy place