Reykjavik Backpackers Reviews

Laugavegur 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Good: The staff were super friendly and very helpful. They gave me many travel tips for Iceland and were happy to answer all of my questions. I arrived very late at night and my bed was already made for me which was really nice. Bad: I stayed in a 6 bedroom mixed dorm, which only had one tiny window to ventilate the entire room. This meant it was unbelievably hot and smelt terrible.

The room (8 bed mixed dorm) was adequate and occupants were of a similar age (purposeful or not?). Beds were comfortable but didn't come with a blanket (fine for me as I had a sleeping bag but others may want to know...) and there were only like 2 sockets for the entire room. Maybe other rooms have more sockets? The communal space downstairs is very happening, as it's a bar/restaurant, but other "communal" areas left something to be desired!! Kitchen was ok but very minimal.

I think the Positives are: Friendly and helpfull staff, good location in the heart of the city, good kitchen and facilities, good mattress. Negatives: small dorm, noise from downstairs bar, wifi only in the lobby, card key system with an irritating alarm that will go on disturbing everyone in the dorm when door is not shot properly, forcing guests to slam the door so it will not shut off alarm. Paying extra for duvet. Overall is a good value for money ratio if you have good earplugs.

Hi, thank you for your stay. Glad to hear that your overall experience was good. We must charge for the blankets due to keep the prices low. For the noise we are providing free earplugs for our customers, you were unlucky with only the only room which has a broken lock but it is already fixed. And yes, the wifi is working only in the lobby and on the first floor for now but we are doing our best to make it work on the other floors as well. Regards, Michal

Great location and friendly people. Hostel was not very clean though and people were too loud until late at night.

Great staff and excellent location. Nice bar on the first floor. But! Very small kitchen - table only for 4-5 people, very dirty showers. Some alarms on the door lockers were broken. And due to its location - it can be extremely noisy, cause there is one bar inside the building and a lot of them outside,

• 3rd May 2014
  • Russia

Rude staff. Construction in the lobby during my stay. No breakfast. Had someone sleeping in my bed after coming from a night out, had to sleep on a couch in the corridor. Never Reykjavik Backpackers again.

• 29th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

Dear guest, we are really sorry for what happened during your stay. Our hostel was under reconstruction and that caused that there was no breakfast. But we were selling vouchers for breakfast in a nice bakery, just 100 meters from the hostel. And for the incident with your bed we are really sorry as well. It never happened before and we will make sure it will not happen again. You got a refund and I will be really glad, if you will give us one more chance so we can prove you our qualities. Michal

Great place, would stay here again.

Above average, great hostel.

The location of the hostel is ideal and the rooms are well kept. Staff was very friendly and helpful with anything I needed. Definitely coming back.

Very clean and central, great hostel!

We enjoyed our stay at Reykjavik Backpackers hostel. Great location, friendly and helpful staff. Staff were happy to arrange or recommend excursions. Had to pay for a blanket, even though it was still cold outside during our visit. Can rent a locker, though not big enough for your whole backpack. Recommend to bring something to lock backpack to bedframe. Each room has separate lock (credit card style). Free beer tasting on one of the days of our stay at the bar (good selection). Would stay again

I had an excellent time at Reykjavik Backpackers. I broke my ankle a couple of weeks before my trip, and they were very helpful in accommodating me. I was also very impressed by how clean the hostel was, especially the bathrooms. It was a very nice place!

You can't find a better location! Its right in the city center on the central street. All shops and bars are right there. But that equals lots of noise from the bars. If you're looking for quiet time this hostel is not for you. But definitely value for money

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Finland

A really fantastic hostel in a great location.

• 8th Mar 2014

Perfect location, staff are fantastic and happy to help with anything. Lots of bathrooms and showers and the kitchen is small but good. Metal bunk beds = very squeaky but hostel provides free ear plugs to help. I would recommend to friends and stay here again. Thanks guys!

I loved the hostel! The staff was very helpful with suggesting what to visit. Also, after making a mistake and putting me in a mixed dorm rather than a female dorm, the staff was very helpful, gave me a discount and offered to put me in a female dorm or a private room when the former wasn't available, at no extra cost. The atmosphere is good, though there is no true "common room" where everyone could meet, only small rooms on every floor and a table by the reception.

• 2nd Mar 2014

The staff was very helpfull and friendly. The location was great! the cleaniness wasn't the best and kitchen was pretty poor and somewhat dirty. Kitchen didnt have enough equipments so didnt really feel like using it. I found our experience in the hostel was satisfying though. The bar was great as well. Good happy hour deals and pretty good food.

1 2 Next » last »