Reykjavik City Hostel Reviews

Sundlaugavegur 34, IS-105 Reykjavik, Reykjavik, Iceland

The staff was very helpful

For the price, this hostel was the best overall in Reykjavik. Free food boxes, massive kitchens, nice rooms, we got upgraded to a better room for the same money as the cheapest 6-man rooms. Staff were helpful with their seemingly endless supply of maps to circle all the fun things. Wonderful way to see Iceland.

• 4th Nov 2014

The staff were excellent, very friendly, knowledgable and helpful. I booked a 6-bedroom dorm but was upgraded on arrival to a four-bedroom, which was a nice surprise! The people at the front desk helped me book tours and answered all of my questions. If they didn't know something, they called the company or looked it up on the internet right away. I used the big, kitchen (there are 3!) upstairs and was pleased to find everything I needed to cook my meals. Thanks so much!

Linen should be included in the price. The hostel is great.

An amazing hostel, I would definately recommend this to any traveller! Couldn't fault it and the staff were very helpful.

Given the cost of Iceland I thought City Hostel was very reasonably priced (may be due to it being a bit out of the city centre but this is no trouble). The staff, atmosphere and facilities were really helpful and friendly, welcoming and ample respectively. The only slight issue I had was with the window in our room. In the warmer weather you really need it to open more than the small amount it does. All in all a great stay, I would recommend it and from what I heard the campsite as well.

• 31st Aug 2014

The room at my second stay was not really clean. It was a Saturday and they say they clean every Friday. It don`t seems like this. My Card for open the doors was not a good one. Sometimes it didn`t work. As I ask at the desk, they were laughing about me and said only I should not let the card in side of my mobilphone. I hadn`t a Phone with me.... When I looked at the magnet at the card, it was not ok anymore. I don`t understand why they didn`t change the card!

• 30th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

A really good stay in Reykjavik city hostel. People are nice and the kitchen with the free food basket is really amazing!

• 27th Aug 2014

There is no such thing as a cheap hostel in Iceland and this does the standard YHA trick of no YHA membership or your own sleeping bag and you have to pay (quite a bit) extra. Having to use the bus to get into town doesn't help either to keep the costs under control. Other than that, the hostel does have great facilities and a public thermal bath next door. Staff are friendly and helpful and can book most activities / tours from reception.

Great place! Comfortable beds, 3 kitchens and plenty of common space to chill out and meet other travellers. I would stay here again.

I stayed here one night during my time in Reykjavik. It is a pretty nice hostel with great amenities-lockers in the room, parking, nice common area and kitchen, good wifi, and a cafe. It was a good value for the price. It's a bit outside of the city center, but there is a bus stop right across the street and it's only about a 30 minute walk. I also recommend the little Italian restaurant across the parking lot! Authentic, fresh (I watched her make the noodles!), and delicious.

A very nice place. clean and safe qith a lot of facilities. Kitchen is very usefull and rooms are quite big! People at the reception very nice. Not too near the center but there is a bus stop right in front of it!

Everything was perfect. Thanks

Very good hostel! We only stayed the first and the last night of our trip in Iceland, but the location is not such a problem, because the airport shuttle can pick up and drop off directly at the hostel. Same for the car rental, we didn't have to walk at all.

The hotel would be good value for money and was comfortable however on arrival we were told that it would be cheaper if we became members of their hostel group, and so we said okay if it is cheaper and then it came up as more than we had agreed on hostel world. This meant it was around £25 per person more and when we questioned they said that was the price for members that we had on hostel world when we had not ticked that box online and so we could have stayed somewhere closer and more upmarket

• 13th Jul 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed at.

Had a nice stay. Staff were excellent in helping with everything like booking tours. Location isn't great, a bit far from the city centre but there is a small grocery store and swimming pool close by. Room was clean.

A bit of a walk into town but everything else makes up for it. Would stay again

We had huge flight delays and checked in at 7am. They would only extend our late check out until 11am so we had to pay full price plus the hire of linen for five hours. The staff were rude, abrupt and inconsiderate. The bathroom smelt and the whole place did not feel clean. It is also so far away from anything. I wouldn't recommend this place.

• 15th Jun 2014

Very clean, well-organized, excellent facilities. Great place to meet a variety of people, within 1/2 hour walk of the downtown area, on bus routes. Staff were very helpful, pointing me in the right direction for a number of things. And the swimming pool right next door is a treat!

• 12th Jun 2014