Reykjavik City Hostel Reviews

Sundlaugavegur 34, IS-105 Reykjavik, Reykjavik, Iceland

Very friendly staff!

Great if you rented a car, otherwise it's no man's land. The staff scheduled my transfer to the airport for me, and it never came, so i had to spend $115 for a taxi to the airport. $11 for breakfast. They make you rent sheets. Stay somewhere in town instead. The staff were incredibly beautiful, and the pool next door made up for it somewhat.

Not very close to downtown if you are walking, but it's a nice hostel with plenty of amenities. Great if you rent a car. The room I was in had weird wind whistling sounds because the window didn't seal. Also they don't filter their hot water so it's very sulfury. Minor complaints though, overall it's great. Be sure so go to the pool next door if you stay here!

Modern hostel approx 30mins walk from Reykjavik city centre situated next to gorgeous botanical gardens. 4 bed dorm is spacious with comfortable beds, individual power outlets & light on each bed, modern ensuite, lockers and swipe card access. Hostel has excellent & modern kitchen facilities on every floor. Many common areas to hang out and meet others though due to time of year we were visiting hostel was very quiet. Excellent wifi throughout whole hostel. Great value hostel-highly recommend!

Very pleased with size and cleanliness of our room and general facilities available to us. Nice hot shower, bit Sulphury but was expecting that and you get used to it. Room was warm and cosy, beds very comfortable, slept well each night and was nice it was so quiet. Erla and Guido at reception were especially helpful and patient in answering all our questions and trying to help as much as they could. Breakfast good. Felt very safe and secure with card locks. Was good value for money. Thank you!

We just love City hostel Reykjavik. We have Stayed many times in many years and it is so great with the green envirement thoughts behind. We feel home and welcome everytime we visit and no problem is to Big or to small to solve. You S-holdet try. Lisa and Kia from Denmark

• 20th Dec 2015
  • Denmark

The staff were really helpful and friendly, making the stay very easy. Bed was comfortable and warm. Location is a little walk from the centre (maybe 20-30 mins) but tours can be organised with pick up and drop off at the hostel which was really useful. Other guests were friendly. Felt very safe. Enjoyed my stay, would recommend.

• 6th Nov 2015

Nice stay thank you. Only thing I can i would say for a better stay, is that the communal kitchen could have been better equipped with utensils and pots and pans. Not enough to go round at busy times. Also our food went missing. Two bottles of cooking oil and another bottle taken from the other kitchen on ground floor. Somebody taking it to use for fuel? Very odd!

• 1st Nov 2015

Fantastic kitchen, lovely staff, comfy rooms - had no problems at all. Only thing was its distance from the city centre and from any big shops (for food etc) but this of course was only a problem because we did not hire a car. If you had a car it would be great! A positive of this though meant that theres more chance of seeing the lights, especially at the park behind the hostel. Don't expect a party hostel but its fantastic as a base to do day trips from reykjavic.

Nice and clean hostel, very friendly and helpful staff. Good location, downtown is only a 30 minute walk. Supermarkets 10 to 20 minutes walk. Would definitely stay there again.

Big hostel with a fair amount of young kids on school trips. Not much of an atmosphere in which it's easy to meet folks and go out for a fun night or plan a day trip together. Super clean, however. Breakfast (not included) was good; staff was helpful but a bit reserved.

First class

The room a bit small but all the facilities is good. Staff is nice.

We had to change rooms during our stay to a room which was exactly the same.

• 25th Sep 2015
  • Portugal
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Love this place! I stayed in the hostel and on the campsite as well. Not in the centre of the city, but easy to walk. Overall a fantastic choice.

The hot water smelled like sulphur (apparently this is normal in Iceland), and the fridge in the kitchen stank. A lot of people use it, sure, but it should be cleaned. The other people in our room snored really loudly, but I guess that's not the hostel's fault! Staff were always friendly and helpful tho, even though the reception, as was claimed, was NOT open 24/7!

Great hostel in general. Some staff were excellent but others were a bit unhelpful and not so friendly. Main complaint is that the hostel lacked a strong social atmosphere and was a little bit away from the city.

• 17th Sep 2015

Not bad by average hostel standards. The rooms are spacious, as are the showers. The location is about a 20 min walk from the city center, but there's also a bus stop in front of the hostel that'll take you directly downtown. Downsides are that you have to either bring your own sleeping bag or rent linen (in dorms of 6) and there's no place to lock your stuff inside your room (lockers are in a separate area and come with a fee). Staff are friendly and very helpful for travel advice.

I actually thought it was very well. This was my first time staying in a hostel and I was very please. The staff was amazing!! I would like to point out two people, specifically. 1) the lady that works the morning breakfast shift!! She's amazing!!! She makes the food and handles the kitchen! She's pretty dope. 2) on my last day there, there was this young guy who really was cool as well! I wish I knew their names so I could give them their proper credit. Either way, they're awesome!!

• 9th Sep 2015

Shared room upstairs is very small with no shelves and lots of very noisy teenagers. Overall good facilities.