Reykjavik Downtown Hostel Reviews

Vesturgata 17, Reykjavik, Iceland

I enjoyed my stay at Reykjavik Downtown Hostel. I stayed in a 10-person female form, which at most had 8 people during my stay. Several nights only had three total occupants. The beds are comfortable and the rooms clean. The staff is helpful and can arrange tours and airport pickup, etc. the breakfast is decent but you can find cheaper elsewhere. I arrived around 4:30 am and they were nice enough to allow me to use the upstairs of the guest couch to sleep for a few hours before I could check in

Really couldn't have asked for a better location (easy to get to as well). Staff were very helpful about tours and local attractions. It was just a really good place to stay and very quiet at night as off the main roads. Breakfast was great!

Not a bad word about this hostel - everything was perfect.

Amazing place to stay in reykjavik: close to everything, yet still in the quite street. Super clean, spacious, everything is modern! The staff is super friendly and helpful, always genuenely willing to go an extra mile to help out! Would definitely stay there again if came back to Reykjavik and recommend it to others.

Thanks for the lovely review and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Iceland! Greetings, Thomas - Head of Reception

Everting is perfect, staff, location, room space, and even the common room and breakfast provided are way too good! Will definitely stay here next time when visiting Reykjavik!

• 19th Dec 2015
  • Taiwan

We are also looking forward to welcome you back too! all the best, Thomas - Head of Reception

Thomas was awesome I made a mistake in my reservation he was so nice and helped me. He gave great informations on the tours and city. The staff was great also happy to help. The bathrooms could be cleaner it just has a smell of urine emerging from it and the beds could be dusted off better. Was a good stay otherwise no crazy load noises like you hear in other hostels around the area. You will be able to get a good sleep

Thanks for your review. Every comment matters for improvements and our Head of Housekeeping will investigate what went wrong with your dormitory room. Happy New Year, Thomas - Head of Reception

Spent 8 nights there actually in a 4-bed mixed dorm, which is great because the room itself is spacious, clean, and sound-proofing, which are already good enough for a good sleep. Bathroom is big and clean too. The only down side is that laundry is so expensive.. 700 for washing machine and another 700 for drying machine (well maybe that's normal in Iceland, I have no idea). And there's just 1 for each of them so make sure you make the reservation well ahead. Other than that, its perfect.

Thanks for the review and we are very happy that your overall experience was great! Greetings from the whole team of the Downtown Hostel. Thomas - Head of Reception.

Very clean. Very helpful staff. On point.

Thanks for the review! and Happy New Year! Thomas - Head of Reception.

Very clean and great location! Just a short 10 minute while to the main shopping/bar area and a 20 minute walk to Hallgrímskirkja church. And an even shorter walk to the Old Harbor area which has the best seafood! Atmosphere is different from other hostels I've been to. Very friendly and helpful front desk but there aren't many organized activities for guests, which is understandable since most people who visit Iceland go on tours outside the city.

'Takk' for your review! We also love the Old Harbor as has so many choices to try Icelandic fish: Seabaron, Mar, Kopar and the Icelandic fish and chips. So many choices! Thomas - Head of Reception.

Great hostel, close to the city center, very helpful staff. Nice area above the kitchen to relax and eat.

Everything was really great! We stayed in an all girl's room and it was extremely clean. The only annoying thing was that we had to make the bed ourselves. The duvet and comforter were difficult to put together, especially if you got stuck with a top bunk. Also wished breakfast was included. It's pretty pricey for what it is. Other than that, we met some cool people and the location is perfect! I loved how close it was to the Old Harbor.

We are trying to keep our prices as affordable as possible, so linen are complimentary (no reason to bring a sleeping bag) but we need your help with making the beds, at least on the 10 bedded dormitories. That doesn´t mean that we are not reviewing our linen policy, so thank you for your feedback! Best regards, Thomas - Head of Reception

This hostel was excellent, I cannot rate it highly enough, super friendly staff, huge rooms and very clean, would definitely stay again.

• 5th Dec 2015

It´s great to start 2016 with happy reviews! Thank you and Happy New Year! Thomas - Head of Reception.

I Think it would be better,by booking a 4 bedroom to ask of female or male room. I didnot know thaat Iwould sharte the room with two men.

• 4th Dec 2015

Thanks for your comments. Our 4 bedded dormitories are designed for mixed accommodation but we have also a dedicated 10 bedded dormitory, only for female travellers. We will make sure to advertise that option to our female guests. Best regards, Thomas - Head of Reception.

Good all the way around.

Thanks! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thomas - Head of Reception.

The staff was incredibly helpful and helped me plan my three days while in Reykjavik. The bed was not the most comfortable, but the room and bathroom were clean. The location cannot be beat!

Thanks for your review. We will add your comments in our improvement list for the future. We were very happy to have you with us. All the best, Thomas - Head of Reception.

Excellent hostel! Clean, tidy, very friendly and helpful staff! Good breakfast! Clean bathroom and showers! Decent room, clean bed linen! Loved it!

Thanks for kind review! Hope to see you again in Reykjavik. Best regards, Thomas - Head of Reception.

Loved this hostel such a nice chilled out vibe kinda of like the county!! Staff super helpfull and friendly everything was so clean an really close walk to around town. Def try the hot chocolate at the hostel!!!! Yummmm!!!

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Scotland

We are so proud for our Hot Chocolate recipe at the Hostel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. All the best, Thomas - Head of Reception.

Stayed in a private double with ensuite and it was great! The hostel location is perfect for every part of town and all tours/airport shuttles will provide door to door service.... not something all of the hostels get! Only downside is their were some maintenance issues with our bathroom (leaking sink & mold) as well, the community/lounge space is very small and not a space where you would want to kick your feet up after a long day of tours.

• 26th Nov 2015

Thanks for your review. Our maintenance team is looking at your room, and we will make sure that the issue will be solved. We are very happy that you in general enjoyed your stay! Best regards, Thomas - Head of Reception.

The staff is really nice and since I travel alone they helped me a lot and are very kind to help my questions (esp the girl with silver/grey hair, i like her so much) and they helped me with arranging the tours so that they won't overlap and make sure Im back at the pick up time, the common area is a great place to chill too the room was smelly though, not sure is it because of the bathroom, better be expected of the bad smell, i spray perfume over my bed to cover the smell in the room

Our team member with the silver hair Steinunn says "hi" too and she is really happy that you enjoyed for stay. Apologies for the issue with the room but we didn't realise that some of the guests were drying their shoes inside the room. We are looking for a solution, for that not to happened again. Our best regards, Thomas - Head of Reception.

Clean and tidy hostel, close to downtown, pubs and clubs. Staff are very welcoming and easy to talk to as most are from other countries aswell, would definitely book there again :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3