Reykjavik Downtown Hostel Reviews

Vesturgata 17, Reykjavik, Iceland

Stayed for 7 nights in 10 bed mix dorm. Big room, extra sink/mirror outside ensuite was nice. Beware that there are no communal showers and only one extra toilet, so you will have to wait quite awhile to get to shower/use bathroom when it's occupied in your room. Breakfast was nice and convenient for early am tours, but I found a cheaper cafe down the street. Staff awesome, great with booking and giving tips on activities. Loved the separate kitchen and laundry house out back. Great atmosphere!

Second time here and had a similar experience to the first time. Excellent room, friendly staff and clean. Would happily be back again

We are very happy too that you chose us again for your stay. Greetings from Reykjavik, Thomas - Head of Reception.

Staff helpful and friendly

Thanks for your kind review. We are glad that we could help and improve your stay in Iceland. Thomas - Head of Reception.

Great work guys felt very much at home thanks to your great staff and relaxed atmosphere. The rooms were clean and really comfortable.

Thanks for your kind words. It was our pleasure to have you with us! Thomas - Head of Reception.

An incredible stay at an incredible hostel! My best experience yet. Would certainly recommend anyone else to stay here, and I hope to do so again too!

Thanks for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Reykjavik. all the best, Thomas - Head of Reception.

This hostel is a lot of fun and is a great location. Blankets are provided for free unlike most other hostels in Reykjavik. It has a nice kitchen where most people go to socialize. My only complaint is there is not enough bathrooms/showers in the hostel.

Dear guest, Greetings from Reykjavik. As you mentioned , Linen and Blankets are provided to all our guests, free of charge. Thanks for sharing this info to our other future guests. The complain about the bathrooms is noticed too. all the best, Thomas - Head of Reception

HI was a good option among the other hostels in town. In times of stress, the staff showed resilience and understanding. Therefore, I highly recommend people to stay at HI.

The staff is really nice. They have all the information on all the tours and are up to date on events in the city. I'd love to go back in they're hostel when I come back to Iceland.

• 16th Oct 2015

Lovvvvved this hostel. The beds were comfortable and everyone was both friendly and respectful of hostel life. Breakfast was expensive for what they offer but that's just Iceland in general. Will definitely return here when I'm next in Reykjavik.

• 26th Sep 2015

The Front desk staff was extremely helpful in recommending cafes and storing our luggage. We felt valued and welcome at the hostel.

• 23rd Sep 2015

Very nice hostel. Beds were comfortable, bathrooms were clean, excellent location near a lot of restaurants and the famous hot dog place. Only complaint is the top bunk bed do not have power points 😞.

This hostel was in a good location and had a good kitchen, common area and clean dorms. The staff were fantastic and answered all kinds of questions (and helped me plan a hike that was cheap). OTOH, the one bathroom per dorm situation was annoying (the toilet and shower were in the same room, so lots of waiting in the middle of the night). Also, and I don't know if this is Iceland in general, but my dorm had older folks (as in, grandparents). It wasn't ideal and there was lots of snoring.

Really helpful and knowledgeable staff and the 4 bed dorm I was in was huge.

Great location in a great city. Very helpful and friendly staff. I would definitely stay there again.

Great hostel, very clean, centrally located yet still on a residential street - so it feels a bit more local. Great facilities - comfortable beds and a huge fully equipped kitchen. I especially liked that they encouraged sharing and there were plenty of "free food" baskets in the kitchen that helped reduce costs and waste. Not much of an atmosphere though, people were often sleeping in the room at all times of the day and the common room was often empty or quiet.

I stayed 2 nights in the 10-bed all female dorm and 2 nights in a 4-bed dorm. The 4-bed dorm was perfect in terms of number of people for bathroom usage. The one bathroom for the 10-bed dorm was a little tight. I'd prefer communal bathrooms in the hall especially since people were asleep very early in the room (between 9-10pm). It's a quiet hostel which suited me. The kitchen is a great space in a separate building. I would check the free food bins before going grocery shopping.

• 6th Sep 2015

It was a wonderful experience very clean and comfortable. I enjoyed it very much

• 5th Sep 2015
  • terrybergen707

My travel friend and I found the dorm room to be uncomfortably hot during the night. I woke up several times sweating. Not a pleasant night.

Fantastic, friendly, and helpful staff. Clean rooms and in a great location.

Many thanks to the wonderful staff at the downtown hostel! I appreciated your friendliness and patience. I will stay with you again the next time I come to Reykjavik!

• 19th Aug 2015