Riad Dar Dmana Reviews

20 Rue Salaj Douh Batha, Fez, Morocco

No Rating

Fez itself is an interesting city. We were told by everyone we met there "not to trust anybody" but felt very much that no one wronged us. I felt people would say that because of the competitivness over tourism and not because the people were actually not trustworthy. The riad owner seemed overly concerned that we took a tour not set up through him, but other than that the accomodaions were lovely

the owners consistantly kept trying to sell us services, tours tickets etc... not a classy joint

We were extremely disappointed with our stay at this Riad. Do not stay here - it almost ruined our whole trip. It is extremely overpriced for what you get and we were manipulated into overpriced extras like dinner at the Riad and a tour with a so called official guide who spoke on his cellphone for most of the tour and then got annoyed at us when we didn't buy carpets and leather goods. When we complained to staff at the Riad about the tour they didn't care.

• 6th Jun 2010
  • New Zealand

C'est la seule fois q'on ne m'a offert du thé à la menthe au pt. déjeuner et j'ai trouvé que les cafétières pas digne de ce Riad. Des pt. détails....mais sinon le Riad est magnifique Malheureusement je n'ai pas pû rester plus longtemps, vu que ce n'est pas vraiment dans mon budget

This Riad was a little larger, so didn´t connect with other guests. It was extensively decorated with antiques and Arabic design. The biggest drawback for us was the nose level from outside, due to a celebration going on nearby.

A very good experience, but a bit expensive for what it is.

After arr offering to bring us to a restaurant and then to discover there the restaurant is just a rip-off(EXTREMELY overpriced,standard food,unfriendly service),basically a tourist trap. This is not a really nice welcome. Also i would look myself for official guide before, because the people in the Riad said that they are going to have a official guide for us , but he was not, after an hour of genuine sightseeing(without the accurate info a realGuide provides) WeWereBroughToShopsToBuyCarpets

Overall the accommodation is very nice however I would warn anyone staying there about the staff. The main contact is the nephew and he will try to get residents to book dodgy tours in which the guides received a large commission from buying products. The prices are overflated on EVERYTHING that is shown on the tour. Beware of the constant scams.

Unfortunately the Hammam was out of order when we arrived but we really enjoyed our stay at Riad Damana! The staff were brilliant, very friendly and enthusiastic and the eggs at breakfast were gorgeous!! stunning riad and felt right at home! thanks for a lovely stay!

Good location - v near Place de L'Istiqlal. Beuatiful building. Staff bit pushy and watch out for recommended restaurants etc - v v pricey!!! Also, transport from station costs 5x a normal taxi! Finally don't listen to scaremongering - you CAN navigate Fes without a guide!

Nuestra experiencia en el Riad Dar Dmana ha sido en global excelente. El personal es muy servicial y amable y la situacion es muy buena ya que se encuentra en la medina pero cerca de una de las puertas pricipales, asi te evitas el laberinto de callejuelas en el primer contacto con la ciudad. Ha sido una experiencia formidable y recomendamos este Riad sin duda por su servicio y su belleza!

Amazing place, very cultural, super nice people, they will pick you up from the train station and make you breakfast every morning. Its very traditional and super clean, you can hear pray callings because it is located right in the center of town. My friend and I had a great time in this RIAD, super Moroccan, stay here! PS they also will provide you with a great tour guide.

I wouldn't recommend this place. The owner and his cousin are overbearing and treated us very dishonestly with a tour we organised through them. It turned out to be double the cost they told us plus the guide wasn't very good. We left half way through as were fed up of visiting shops. Bad experience!

We were welcomed to the Dar Dmana by the owner of the Riad who gave us a huge talk about Moroccan hospitality and how life in a Riad is very similar to that of a family. This was a completely false introduction we received from the owner. The owner sent us to his friends restaurant to eat that night and we were charged extortionate prices to eat. The food was very good but we still felt cheated. The next morning our owner arranged an "official" guide for us to take us around the Fes medina. This guide briefly showed us the Medina but the main emphasis of the the tour was to take us to a leather and carpet shop where we felt pressurised to buy things that we jusut did not need. The guide then took us to another friends restaurant when we had told him that we only wanted a very light lunch so decided not to eat. The guide then refused to speak to us on the way back the Riad as we had not eaten at his friends place. The Riad owner then did not speak to us, when we todl him that we were not happy with the guide hw had given to us. Do not get me wrong, the Riad is lovely and we had a delightful room but the reception we received from the Owner was a false introduction and tarnished our whole stay there. I would not recommend this place to any of my friends.

Like any place I guess make sure they dont try and take advantage and give you any discounts they mention (I had problems when apparently the discount offered for a dinner wasn't followed through.)

staff was very fickle. i.e. your best friend when there was a lure of money to be made, and later indifferent to you when they realized you were not a cash cow. Staff organized a terrible tourguide who was threatening and very frustrating. I wanted to see the medina, not the medina shops. When we asked him to stop showing us shops he intimidated us and made a special point to tell buskers that members of our group were american. Which is not very professional, or safe. I also cancelled a second night at the riad over 24 hours before, as I planned to go to marrakech. The riad staff refused to cancell the reservation and made me pay them, regardless. They preffered cash to credit and were not at all helpful, especially with taxi's. If looking for a riad and you have been to fez before this place is not bad. But if you are new to the area or American, I reccomend a hotel.

Was good. The owner is very friendly and went out of his way to help us quite a few times.The riad itself is stunning and the rooms are immaculate, the other staff are friendly also. We woud have liked a bit more transperancy in pricing though esp on drinks and the 50 pound "service charge" on the end of our bill was a bit taking the mickey but overall a good experience.

Myself and partner stayed at the Riad Dar Dmana for 6 days, and were both impressed with all aspects of our stay, the staff were very helpful, recommending local places to visit not listed in the usual guides - a really interesting trip to a Hamman on the first day! We arrived back one eve to find red rose petals over the bed and room. It is very difficult to drink in Fez but the staff arranged wine for our eve meals. I highly reccomend staying here.

the staff is wonderful...very helpful, very informative. they welcome you to the family.

View all Fez Bed and Breakfasts