Riad Verus Reviews

1 Derb Arset Bennis, Batha, Medina, Fez, Morocco

First they didnt have our booking. Then they tried to charge us for breakfast even though on hostelworld it says it has free breakfast. Then they scared us into yhinking it was a crazy place and we needed a guide. Not true. Then they rang their friend and told us he was an official guide. Not true. He showed us around but basically took us to all his friends shops and they tried to sell us stuff. Lunch was three times the price it should have been.the guide tried to charge us double.just dont!!

Find this review a little weird as we had been whatsapping during the day as the girls had notified me of a late arrival so we were well aware of the booking and it was in the calender, we did in fact give a free upgrade to an ensuite room. the booking was made during a period when breakfast was not included in the rate, depending on the offers at the time of booking and this was stated when you made the booking. the guide we organized for you was official and correctly charged you 50 Dhms each as prior arranged, in fes there are many handicrafts and in order to view the tanneries one must pass through the enormous shop to get to the viewing platform. Disapointed to read this and wish you had shared your views at the time so we could have resolved issues instead.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The location was perfect for exploring the medina. The staff (Hamza and Hicham) were very helpful and good lads. I recommend a stay here.

So pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the location and also the staff were super helpful and nice people to have around.

To be fair, it is one of the most welcoming hostels I've ever been to. I felt really comfortable from the moment we arrived. Staff were incredibly helpful in everything we needed; they helped us book our excursions, buy bus tickets, find cheap and nice places to eat, and get the best prices for everything. They definitely played a big role in making this trip such an amazing experience. Breakfast is nice and they have some life music evenings.

• 20th Jan 2016
  • Spain

thanks for rating us so highly and considering us such value for money as well as one of the most welcoming hostels you had ever been to. We are delighted you felt so comfortable and that we were helpful when it came to booking excursions and buying tickets etc. Glad you liked breakfast and the live music event.

This was by far the most amazing hostel I've ever been to! We were welcomed like family by the staff here. Hamza in particular was very attentive and always smiling. He helped us buy our bus tickets, find taxis, and took us personally to good street food vendors. We all adored Hamza! Noor as well went above and beyond as a host. He helped us plan excursions and gave us expert advice on what to do in Morocco. He runs a very friendly and fun hostel, and I can't wait to go back!

• 20th Jan 2016

So pleased you were so happy with your choice and that you liked the attention given in the hostel and the help by Hamza and Noor. yes we also do tours, excursions and hope to always give the best unbiased advice possible whenever asked. SO pleased you found it a happy and friendy hostal as well as it being fun.

What a great place! Best service, friendly, lovely environment, clean, great breakfast on the terrase! Thank you to the wonderfull staff that made this visit a pleasure. I understand why this is number one and will remain there. Would highly recomend this place

• 19th Jan 2016
  • Czech Republic

so plesed you liked the place and the cleanliness as well as the terraces and our wonderful staff and for recommending us on!

Superb sejour in a friendly establishment. Staff really did go the extra mile. Very social. Drinks can be got here cheap. Sheisha if you need it. Chill. Unwind. De stress. Easy living. Dorms can be highly rated. My buddies and me all had a good time. It was easy from train station to wing a pickup and get dropped off two seconds away. Great first impression. The hostel is a mini palace. It won't disappoint. On the plus side we bagged a deal with no tax!! We were impressed from beginning to end.

So pleased you had a great first impression on arrival and that the hostel didnt dissapoint your expectations and that you were overall very impressed. We are pleased you found it to be social and that the staff went the extra mile to make you happy.

Riad verus was a top pick on many accounts. Primarily because the guy who was running it was a sweetie. He helped me out non stop without being pushy. He seemed to know many languages with English his best. The room I had chosen was clean, nice bed, fresh smelling and a good ensuite shower. It appears that they have stepped up their game because I saw none of the negativity past posters had remarked on. My only regret would be not having had enough time to do one of their Sahara tours, next time

• 11th Jan 2016

So pleased you liked the Riad and that the staff were sweet, curtious and that they spoke many languages. We are pleased to read that you liked the linen and that the rooms were clean and the ensuites were nice and that we have stepped up our game as you say! Next time enshallah we can take you on the tour with us!

I went in the low season. I cant believe this hostel is so hifhly recommended by lonely planet. Check in took me over 30 minutes. The staff had an fully fledged fight among themselves. That night around 3 am the fight started again and turned violent. The next night between 4-6 am loud music was played by the staff. Notice, no guests participated in this party, only staff. All rooms border the main area, so no matter which room you stay in, noises will keep you up. I left 2nights early.

• 23rd Nov 2015

SOrry to read the review, yes it was low season when you came and a very unfortunate incident did occur. since then the member of staff was fired and this after hours incident has not been repeated. We are a traditional Moroccan house so all rooms do face onto a patio which makes it homely and at times you will hear other noises, we do not pretend to be a monestry or a 5 star, we are a hostel with low cost prices and in dorm rooms your roomies may be noisy at times but we try to include guests to participate in events, birthday parties,

Beware confirm rates before booking !!! It is a scamThe owner seems very nice at first, but finally did not care for guests, sleeping in a hotel room with other receptionists and friends and did not accept or get breakfast before 9 with various invented excuses. Both the hotel and the terrace close at a certain hour at night (11:30) Housekeeping was a disaster and always had traces of urinee and hair on both covers, disgusting !!! the two days we were there I saw the same dead cockroach on floor

sorry to read this review. let me clarify...the rates have been made clear and when you book the tax is now included as is the breakfast, but before the 28th jan 2016 tax was not included. Breakast is from 9 am when the staff are ready to serve it, our maids arrive at 8am and this gives them time. The terraces closes for security at 11.30 to prevent drunken people falling off or strangers wandering in! As for the cleanliness it is now super clean and no no cockroaches!

Good location, nice breakfast and enviroment.

so pleased you loved the location, the yummy breakfast and the lively environment!

45Dh tourist tax on arrival, this is not stated on hostel world and shouldnt be allowed. In over 1 months of traveling no hostel has had this tax, or hidden it from the stated price. The atmosphere is frankly grim and the owner does not make you feel welcome. Although the building is nice and breakfast is good, the whole place feels uncomfortable. You cant just relax which is such a shame in a hostel. Top shower didnt actually shut. All.in all unpleasant place to stay in the lovely Fes

The cleanliness was the only real good thing about this hostel. The male staff is really unfriendly and unwilling to help (at least to other males). I was in the room in the 4th floor, the shower there had no lock and you have to leave the door open anyway because there is no light. During the night they lock the door to the stairs, so you are trapped in the 4th floor (apparently they do this for safety reasons, but in case of fire it doesen't seem safe at all) . Don't stay there!

Cleanliness is top of our priority, since reading the review the light bulb has been changed there is a lock on the top shower bathroom and yes for security reasons the terraces is locked at night but there is the emergency escape if needed and we would never leave a guest in the house if it were to catch fire, rest assured though that the building is almost made in its entirity of plaster and brick!

The owner is solely concerned with money. He uses a search scam to get the lowest price so the hostel will come first in searches. It claims to be 40 dirams with a 45 diram tax added but ultimately you should expect to pay 110 dirams. The hostel is nice. Basic breakfast, one egg, bread, coffee, juice and a yoghurt. This place is the same as the rest but slightly more expensive. Funky fes and others charge 100 dirams and you don't have the hassle of feeling ripped off,better service at the rest.

Staff wasn't too friendly nor helpful. Atmosphere was also odd- no one seemed to be talking.

Perhaps it was just an off day, normally we are highly commended for an upbeat ambience and everyone chatting amongst each other!

Overall, a disappointing hostel. Staff aren't particularly friendly, only 3 showers for the whole hostel which are small and smell bad. Good terrace however. No lockers either.

Please note that the rooms are in the main ensuite and that there are 2 communal showers for 2 rooms which up to 7 people could share. The rest of the rooms and dorms are ensuite. the issue is that if you were in a shared shower dorm you would not have seen the other rooms had their own bathrooms. The terrace is fab yes we agree. There are some lockers and if you need to leave your luggage we do have a luggage room or you can leave personal belongings with us in the safe.

The place was a good place to stay, except the manager/owner was kind of a douche. He told us not to give backpackers advice about places in Morocco because he has contracts with other hostels and the like. He also told me to cancel my reservation at a good hostel and stay at one of his contacts' places instead. I didn't of course.

A friend and I recently got back from our first trip to Morocco and loved Fez! Thanks again to Riad Verus for being so accomodating and helpful and making our trip all the merrier! Noor, Mohamed, and the rest of the staff treated us very well and the riad was like home. The main reception room and the terrace are fabulous just to hang out in and the city itself is much calmer and locally oriented than other big cities in Morocco. I would love to visit it again! *Thumbs Up!*

• 22nd Aug 2015

When you first enter it seems like the perfect escape, but as it goes on it unveils as a completely unsafe. First off my booking was "lost", which seemed harmless enough until multiple other backpackers showed up with their bookings being "lost" as well. The manager on top of being shady/drunk/high stayed out partying most nights and people who were staying there would be locked out in the alley. Owner rips you off on everything- do not trust his prices, I think he gets commission. SKETCHY P

Good standard hostel, not particularly secure at night. Does not have a bar as stated and bit of a strange atmosphere. Well located - once you've found it!