Rio Maravilha Hostel Reviews

Rua Sara, 190 Centro Historico, Santo Cristo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

They say airport shuttle but eventho I booked it with several days in advanced when I got to the airport there was noone expecting me. Too bad I figure out how to get out and went to another hostel.

If you don't expect much from a hostel this one is perfect for you, placed about 15 minutes walk from Sambodrom, on a hill with an amazing view on a city and ocean, run by a guy who really loves his job and filled with many amazing people there! The only let down for me were the "hand-made" wooden bunk beds which were sort of a fun, came back home many times drank, managed to climb it and sleep through night without falling :)

We booked in a 4 bed room but when we arrived we were put into a 12 bed room. The person at reception did not speak English and when we tried to communicate with the owner over the telephone he was extremely rude! The location is also not good. However one noticeable thing was that the hostel was extremely clean and the view was great.

We stayed here as it was cheap over the New Years period. The private room was small and the place is generally a little dirty although you get what you pay for. The area is safe although you need to walk through a slightly dodgier area to reach the nearest metro station (15 mins). The staff (particularly Andre, the owner) were helpful and there is a nice view from the communal room, albeit over the wrong end of the city.

• 29th Dec 2014