Rio Surf n Stay Reviews

Rua Raymundo Veras, 1140 Recreio dos Bandeirantes, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Difficult to find

the only problem I had was with one of the girls who works at the hostel, we had written her emails before my arrival and she knew I would come at night and upon arrival no one was waiting. no one opened the hostel, we had to spend the first night in the car, the next day everything changed thankfully. next time try to reinforce a more sure about the time of my arrival.

• 19th Apr 2013
  • Uruguay

At first, hard to find, remote location with bad description. second they wanted to charge me more than it was stated at hostelworld.com overall it was too expensive for the hostel like this. I do not recommend it.

Nice hostel, pretty remote from Central Rio, but your there for surfing anyway. Cons were no lockers, no musquito net in room. Nice helpful staff, perfect for a surf n stay...

• 26th Oct 2012

A friendly and homely hostel. Great for chilling out after a day of surfing, watching a movie on the couch or drinking a beer in the backyard, I felt right at home. Just wish I could have stayed here longer. The staff are really cool, they told me everything I needed to know about the area - best places to eat, shop, surf etc. Location is perfect- only 2 mins walk and you're on the sand. I hope to come back here again one day and stay for at least a couple of weeks next time!

Best surf camp i have stayd in by far!!! All staff members super friendly and very helpful. really good vibe within the hostel. safe and secure premises. good breakfast.

• 22nd May 2012

Do not publish photos on a website which paint a picture of clean, well furnished rooms when the reality is very different. Blood stained walls are not attractive to any traveller. I chose not to shower rather than step into to shower cubicle. Curtains would be good too.

• 2nd May 2012
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Great hostel really close to a good beach for surfing. Staff is really friendly and helpful and there is not anything to complain about. You can also rent boards or take lessons from instructors who can help both beginners and beyond.

Think about what can be the worst situation that can happen after a long day travelling and then finally arrive, close to midnight, in a hostel..... find out that they didn' t reserve the room for you, even after been asked by email to confirm my reservation. That was disappointing! Then my boyfriend and I had to head to the only other hostel in the area, what costed 150% more per night. Btw, also found a couple of huge cockroaches in the bathroom... Disappointing....

The surf lessons are excellent and the hostel's a great place to hang out! It's a little bit disorganized and it takes about two hours on the bus to get into the city centre if you wanted to do any site seeing! It's really close to great beaches and a fun atmosphere with really friendly staff!

This is one of the best places we stayer during oir trip. The beaches are stunning. The hostel is layed back but very clean as well. I've been surfing for quite a while so I didn't need any lessons but Mauro really went out of his way to bring us to nice breaks. The breaks around here are beautiful and uncrowed. Thanks heaps guys!!

Rio Surf n Stay is a family run hostel with a family atmosphere. If you want to relax on beautiful beaches and learn to surf then this is the place for you. Other than that there is not much to do in Recreio. One small shopping centre but Barra is 30 mins away. Rio is over an hr away and at weekends takes much longer. Family and staff were lovely and my surf lesson was brilliant.

Great place, nice staff, well organised and close to some great surfing beaches. I'll be back!

good clean with helpful freindly owners andstaff but abit of atreck into rio (an hour)

An awesome place to stay, the owners are relaxed, friendly and professional. A wonderful breakfast and great rooms. The staff make you feel at home and whether you surf or not, they make sure you have a good time. It's at the far end of Rio which means you can walk to the National Park and feel like you are out of the city, or mission in for the day. Stay here 100%.

I loved my stay at Rio Surf n Stay. The staff is great and very welcoming. I couldnt ask for anything better. I recommend this hostel to everyone. cheers.

• 6th Sep 2008
  • American Samoa

Great place, great pleople, very clean. The favela tour on Saturday evening was great.

• 21st Jul 2008

This was one of the best hostels i have ever stayed in worldwide. The owners were a fabulous couple who taught us how to surf and made sure our stay was perfect. The hostel lies right next to the most beautiful beach. I would recommend this hostel to anyone. It was extremely clean, the atmosphere was brilliant, the staff were incredible and the location was perfect. For two girls travelling in South America we felt so safe in the surrounding area. Simply cannot fault it, cant wait to go back.

The hostel has a fantastic atmosphere, Katrina and Mauro make you feel at home. The location is great because you get to see the real Rio in a safe environment and the nearby beaches are great and much less crowded than the downtown beaches. The locals were incredibly helpful. We would definitely recommend staying here, but bring your own lock.

Perfect place to relax and get away from the carnage of the city for a couple of days. Surf lessons were great and Mauro, Kat & baby Taj are fantastic hosts

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels