Rocinha Guest House Reviews

Estrada da Gavea, 259 rua um casa 10, Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Amazing experience-my favorite hostel I have visited. I was convinced by other reviews here on hostelworld and I'm so glad I went. It's basically a family's house and their 18 year old son Obe runs everything. He is really nice and helpful and took us out one night to party. The mom cooked a great (huge) dinner for me for my first night at a really good price. The views are amazing from the rooftop. Breakfast was all you can eat and was very good. If you want a legit Rio experience, go here!

Rochina is a nice community spirited place, amazing view, so cheap to eat out, everything you need is inside the favela, i recomend speaking portuguese as barely anyone speaks english (obe does) He is really nice and helpful, the people in the favela are really nice and friendly once you talk to them. Can look a bit intimidating at first but really no worries, me and my boyfriend talkd with many locals and was made to feel really welcome!

After being a little unsure about whether staying in Rocinha would be safe, we were so glad we made the decision to stay here. Obi is a fantastic host, who took us to local parties, and his mum is a great cook! it was so nice to have a home cooked meal after traveling for so long. The dorm room has (good) aircon and an unbeatable view! We felt welcome and safe the entire time. Rocinha guesthouse gives you a chance to see a side of life other hostels don't, and we would definitely come back!

If you're staying in the 6 bed dorm. There's a stair well that leads to the room. View is amazing of the favela. Owned by mum

What is hostelworld doing advertising this place? I'm not even going to review it's that bad.

• 27th Nov 2013

I am sorry that you hadn't a good experience in The Largest Favela from South America, favelas were built by humble and honest people that struggle to work and live in this city, 90% of people from these place are extra friendly, but if you dont respect the favela rules, you will be in trouble with the whole community, i am glad that you didnt like it because favela communities are not for anyone. next time stay in Copacabana palace where people are paid to just smile for you...Maka Basilio.

Obi Was Amazing

This hostel will show you a small peak into true rio life. Obi is a fantastic host, kind, caring and such a hard worker... The cherry on the cake for me were the views: totally breath taking! This favela is safe and welcoming: I'd recommend a stay, long or short to everyone!! Truly an experience of a life time!

• 7th Nov 2013

I had a wonderful stay here, i would definitely go back here. All the stories of an insecure favela are absolutely wrong! And obi and his mom are very welcoming!

• 17th Oct 2013
  • Belgium

Absolutely loved this place. The atmosphere, the people. Would definately stay again.

AWESOME place, Obi the owner will do everything to make you feel like home. Its safe, safer than center or zona norte for sure. Just play by the rules. Fantastic vibes and atmosphere. I wish I had come earlier. Do it, you wont regret. THANKS OBI !

Rocinha Guest House is an excellent place to spend some time in Rio. It feels like you are staying with family! The house presents stunning views of the community and the beach of Sao Conrado. The alleys, streets and stairwells of Rocinha are stimulating, safe and inspiring. Away from the tourist traps of Leblon, Copacabana and Lapa, you are able to engage in an authentic experience and connect with a vibrant Carioca community. I will definitely be back!

I had a great time at the Rocinha guest house. The family was very helpful, and friendly. Obie helped me a lot with setting up my Brazilian cell phone. We also went to some good parties! I will probably stay there again soon.

Staying in Rocinha was probably one of the best experiences I had in Brasil. Other traverlers I met there were fantastic people and willing to explore the streets and nightlife of Rocinha, which was amazing and I always felt safe. The guest house was great although some work needs to be done to fix a few minor things: ensure the shower stays hot for one, and a comfortable place to chill and enjoy that fantastic view (a couple of hammocks would make that terrace perfect).

• 19th Aug 2013

Spectacular view; delightful surprise.

Rocinha Guesthouse is the perfect place to live the real Rio do Janeiro life. The family is very kind and helpful, especially Obi, the son :) The dorms are nice and clean. The breakfast is really nice and you can use that time to talk a bit with the family. But the best, apart from the people, is the terrace and the view of Rocinha ;) I highly recommend this hostel to this persons that would like to know something more about Rio do Janeiro and not only the main touristic places. MUITO OBRIGADA!

This was one of my best stays in Brasil! It is the best chance to get to know the real Rio and its biggest Favela. Thanks Obi and his Family, who are really nice people and very helpful, i was part for a liitle time to the life of Rocinha. Go and see it!! Thank you very much!!

• 6th May 2013
  • Switzerland

nice view, nice family! but surrounding environment is quite poor. There are a lot of steps up and down from the street to the hostel. difficult for people with heavy luggage.

• 7th Feb 2013
  • Hong Kong

Nice place, helpful and friendly family that gladly helps you. Its in a favela which can feel a bit threatening but I there are nothing to be afraid about. Have a beautiful view over the favela and the best breakfast coffee as well.

Nobody accepted my family at revellion 2013 for less of 600 euro. This hostel offered me the best price...1/5 of that price and at an excellent quality.

• 28th Dec 2012

I recommend everybody who come to Rio de Janeiro and who is interested in visiting a favela to stay a night or more in a guesthouse there. The Rocinha Guest House is a nice opportunity to get to know the biggest favela in Rio. As it is located on a hillside you will be able to overlook Rio, or parts of Rio better said. Oberdan and his mother are very friendly and kind hosts, he also speaks a little English and can help you to get around there. Basic room with bath, breakfast included.

Thanks Susan to come. this is our first year with our guesthouse, i am living in Australia, but i manage the bookings and i call to make sure that our guests are safe and comfortable in my home. People in Rocinha are beginning to open mind about foreigners, about to learn another languages and Rocinha Guesthouse is the First in the whole favela, you can live like a local instead make a tour for few minutes, feel and see our reality and share or translate with the world what favela means. i am Maka the oldest son and owner of Rocinha Guesthouse. thanks for come and i hope see you again in my hometown.

View all Rio de Janeiro Bed and Breakfasts