Rocinha Guest House Reviews

Estrada da Gavea, 259 rua um casa 10, Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The girl at the reception is a warm person, simply AWESOME

The hostel and the area of Rocinha is a magical place. The family were really welcoming and made all the guests while I was there feel at home, sharing meals with us and enjoying the experience of watching World Cup matches together. The view from the hostel is one of the best in the world (and I've worked at Oban). This has got to be one of the most outstanding places I've stayed and if your nerves are frayed after the motor taxi ride get in the hammock and let your cares go.

R ocinha guesthouse is a very warm and welcoming place. I always felt safe and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I would recommend people to stay here to see the real side of Brazil and the view alone is worth a visit.

This guest house is in a favela I visited during the World Cup, it's worth a visit for the experience, I really enjoyed my stay there. The staff cannot do enough for you and they provided a favela tour, aswell as home cooking. The area is safe, like anywhere you just need to look after yourself but the locals are very friendly and helpful. There's plenty of places to shop, eat and drink right on your doorstep. Also transport is easy, by bus, taxi or mototaxi!

For someone who wants a really brazilian adventure this is for you. The media portrays these favelas in a way which strikes fear into many. Although they can be dangerous at times generally if you visit them with thw right intentions and the right mind set you will be rewarded with a great experience. My brother and I loved our stay at rochina. Obi and his brother marca run the hostel out of there family home which sits on a terrace at the top of the favela in a safe area. 9.5/10 from us :)

• 2nd Jun 2014

We loved our stay at the Rocinha Guesthouse. The family is very welcoming and kind. Rocinha is a great place full of hidden treasures, like e. g. amazing sushi, tons of friendly people and the breathtaking views of Rio. We stayed in a private room with bunk beds. it was fairly clean, so was the bathroom. i would come back to this place anytime. Great value for your money and if you talk to the charming hosts you will learn a lot about the life in Rocinha.

• 13th May 2014

If you want to experience real rio, stay here, at least for a couple of days mid week

• 20th Apr 2014

Staying in Rocinha is probably more for the open-minded traveller who wants to broaden his horizon. But if this is your perception of travelling you will most likely find yourself enjoying your stay a lot. The Rocinha guest-house has a nice atmosphere, relaxed and laid-back. Obi and Dona Neusa are very friendly and welcoming and the same goes for all the people I met in Rocinha.

Amazing experience-my favorite hostel I have visited. I was convinced by other reviews here on hostelworld and I'm so glad I went. It's basically a family's house and their 18 year old son Obe runs everything. He is really nice and helpful and took us out one night to party. The mom cooked a great (huge) dinner for me for my first night at a really good price. The views are amazing from the rooftop. Breakfast was all you can eat and was very good. If you want a legit Rio experience, go here!

Rochina is a nice community spirited place, amazing view, so cheap to eat out, everything you need is inside the favela, i recomend speaking portuguese as barely anyone speaks english (obe does) He is really nice and helpful, the people in the favela are really nice and friendly once you talk to them. Can look a bit intimidating at first but really no worries, me and my boyfriend talkd with many locals and was made to feel really welcome!

After being a little unsure about whether staying in Rocinha would be safe, we were so glad we made the decision to stay here. Obi is a fantastic host, who took us to local parties, and his mum is a great cook! it was so nice to have a home cooked meal after traveling for so long. The dorm room has (good) aircon and an unbeatable view! We felt welcome and safe the entire time. Rocinha guesthouse gives you a chance to see a side of life other hostels don't, and we would definitely come back!

If you're staying in the 6 bed dorm. There's a stair well that leads to the room. View is amazing of the favela. Owned by mum

What is hostelworld doing advertising this place? I'm not even going to review it's that bad.

• 27th Nov 2013

I am sorry that you hadn't a good experience in The Largest Favela from South America, favelas were built by humble and honest people that struggle to work and live in this city, 90% of people from these place are extra friendly, but if you dont respect the favela rules, you will be in trouble with the whole community, i am glad that you didnt like it because favela communities are not for anyone. next time stay in Copacabana palace where people are paid to just smile for you...Maka Basilio.

Obi Was Amazing

This hostel will show you a small peak into true rio life. Obi is a fantastic host, kind, caring and such a hard worker... The cherry on the cake for me were the views: totally breath taking! This favela is safe and welcoming: I'd recommend a stay, long or short to everyone!! Truly an experience of a life time!

• 7th Nov 2013

I had a wonderful stay here, i would definitely go back here. All the stories of an insecure favela are absolutely wrong! And obi and his mom are very welcoming!

• 17th Oct 2013
  • Belgium

Absolutely loved this place. The atmosphere, the people. Would definately stay again.

AWESOME place, Obi the owner will do everything to make you feel like home. Its safe, safer than center or zona norte for sure. Just play by the rules. Fantastic vibes and atmosphere. I wish I had come earlier. Do it, you wont regret. THANKS OBI !

Rocinha Guest House is an excellent place to spend some time in Rio. It feels like you are staying with family! The house presents stunning views of the community and the beach of Sao Conrado. The alleys, streets and stairwells of Rocinha are stimulating, safe and inspiring. Away from the tourist traps of Leblon, Copacabana and Lapa, you are able to engage in an authentic experience and connect with a vibrant Carioca community. I will definitely be back!

I had a great time at the Rocinha guest house. The family was very helpful, and friendly. Obie helped me a lot with setting up my Brazilian cell phone. We also went to some good parties! I will probably stay there again soon.

View all Rio de Janeiro Bed and Breakfasts