Rocinha Hostel Reviews

Estrada da Gavea, 520d, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We loved this hostel! We were naturally a little apprehensive to staying in a hostel but felt super safe the whole time. At midnight one night we went to play football walking through the back streets and ended up playing until 3am with the locals. Great fun. There is a very nice community spirit here. It takes about 30 mins by bus to get to Copacabana, try to avoid rush hour because it can take 90 mins, so plan well. Only negative about the hostel - unnecessarily loud music in the evenings...

Decent hostel run by lovely staff, who made the stay worthwhile. Location is only average due how long it can take on the bus to copa, lapa etc. But in terms of security I never felt unsafe. The neighbourhood is really interesting and has a lot to offer, there is even a subway near by! The breakfast at the hostel is excellent, the only bad thing about the hostel is the occasional bad smells.. but if you're a backpacker you should be used to that by now ;)

I had booked for only one night, wanting to see the place first. I asked to stay 2 more nights and was told this was OK and could pay tomorrow. When I returned to the hostel at 10am after being mugged (zero empathy for this), I was told to vacate my bed as it had been sold. I left luggage to return later. When I returned that evening, hoping for vacancy or book elsewhere, I was kicked out, on the street, in the favela (not safe), at 11pm. Utterly appalling staff behaviour

great place for the price, secure and good location

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Mexico

This hostel is in a favela and run by locals. If you want that kin of experience, look no further. It is only 30 minutes from Copacabana by bus and you can walk to the beautiful São conrado. I rate it highly given the effort made by all the staff to be as accommodating as possible.

It is a new hostel in La Rocinha, the most populated favela in Rio de Janeiro. The hostel us very nice, y stayed in 2 rooms and both had private badroom. It is owned by a brazilian family that are very friendly. Walkeable distnce from thw bus. I went during the world cup. The ambient wasnt the best. All guys. Wd where walking at 4 am in the favela and me never had any trojble! Excellent experience

• 24th Jun 2014
  • Argentina

I enjoyed my stay at Hostel Rocinah, it was vibrant with great staff and good value for money. It is close to many great local food places, restaurants, markets, bus links and supermarket. It was incredible to live inside Brasil's most famous favella.

Brand new hostel, and they put a lot of love into it! Owners/staff are amazing, really just try to help and please. Very impressed by everything!!

• 11th Jun 2014