Rock Solid Backpackers Rotorua NZ Reviews

1140 Hinemoa street, Downtown rotorua, Rotorua, New Zealand

Very nice place to stay!

Really thorough, thoughtful design and execution. Four-bed dorms are unusually spacious and pleasant, with two single beds and large lockers. Free wifi is fast and reliable.

Hostel for matured backpackers - modern, clean, secured, chill-out place where to relax. This is not a party place, "no visitors" and "quiet time between 11pm-7am" policy in place. Rooms are nice with big lockers, shared showers look like in gym with good showers and hairdryers. Kitchen the best we've seen so far in hostels. Common area with TV, playstation, ping pong, billiard, books, games and unlimited wifi. WATCH OUT check-in time- must be by 22:00! Highly recommended(not for party animals)

Pleasant 3 day stay at Rock Solid... Cleanliness maintained throughout our stay, bathrooms amazingly big and CLEAN, rooms spacious and equipped with fab lockers! Kitchen and lounge area probably the best so far. Staff were awesome too. If I had to be picky I'd say please let us hungry backpackers use the kitchen before 2pm check in! Definitely recommended! Also be prepared to have to venture out a couple of K to see things/places - not the hostels fault tho :)

Very nice place to stay, the staff is very cool and hospitable, our stay was really pleasant.

Greatest hostel I ever stayed in! Super clean, cheap and an amazing team. But an oven would be great :D

Awesome place to stay! The staff were really great and willing to help and met some really great friends there. Would stay here again.

Great hostel, lovely and helpful staff. Pool table in living room. Excellent. Thank you!

Not much to complain about. The only thing is that the key system was a little bit too much. First one keycode, then a key, and finally key to your room. I would rather see a keycard system in place, as this also minimizes the effect if key is lost, 50$ deposit it more than double the amount you pay at other hostels (usually 20$).

Really nice hostel, welcoming staff, clean rooms and great free facilities

Nice place, the kitchen is really well set up. The ladies showers are awkwardly placed if you aren't staying on the first floor. Under 5 minutes to the bus stop. Lots of young partiers but you couldn't hear them from the dorms.

I was a little bit irritated that there where no windows in the kitchen and dining-room, that caused for me a weird atmosphere. And the social community was kind of split up, because of people sitting in the kitchen and at the reception, there was not one common room....

• 1st Nov 2014

More towels in kitchen would be nice and boxes for food storage

• 30th Oct 2014

One of the best equipped kitchen I have ever seen in a hostel. Also very clean and enough space in the fridge. Staff is very friendly and helpful with information and booking. WIFI worked well in most parts of the building.

I was here for one night and it was a good place. Very secure, lockers that fit all your stuff, right in the center of town, and it's hard to beat the low price. The common space was nice but closed early, which didn't bother me since I had taken an early bus anyway and most of the hostel went out that night.

The staff is what really made the stay warm and welcoming for me. They literally waited up for me because my car has ran out of gas on my way to them. I arrived and Vanessa, one of the staff, had me call her when I arrived. She checked us in and was glad we had made it safely, because she had been concerned for me and the three girls I was with. That made this place even more acceptional of a stay. I would highly recommend it, as well as l, stay again someday.

• 9th Oct 2014

Great place to stay, safe, secure, lots of Amazing amenities provided for free (8-pool, table tennis, Xbox, movies...). The kitchen is well equipped, clean, and with lots of room for your stuff in the fridges. Booze is allowed almost everywhere except the bed rooms and washrooms I guess (but I also guess you're pretty weird if you drink in those last ones) Barry at the desk was amazingly friendly and helpful, made my day talking to him! Will definitely go back there!

• 7th Oct 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in so far on my 3 month travels. First off the common area has comfy chairs, an xbox, tv, a ping-pong table and a pool table - all free! There are also books to read and dvds to watch. The kitchen is also really big with tonnes of space for food and appliances. The rooms were nice as well with a heater for the cold weather.. It's also smack bang in the centre of Rotorua and there is a rockcliming wall and an excellent cinema on the first floor!!

Good hostel but a bit big and impersonal.

Excellent hostel, friendly staff, perfect location, good and big common areas. Definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed at.