Rock Solid Backpackers Rotorua NZ Reviews

1140 Hinemoa street, Downtown rotorua, Rotorua, New Zealand

Awesome place to stay! The staff were really great and willing to help and met some really great friends there. Would stay here again.

Great hostel, lovely and helpful staff. Pool table in living room. Excellent. Thank you!

Not much to complain about. The only thing is that the key system was a little bit too much. First one keycode, then a key, and finally key to your room. I would rather see a keycard system in place, as this also minimizes the effect if key is lost, 50$ deposit it more than double the amount you pay at other hostels (usually 20$).

Really nice hostel, welcoming staff, clean rooms and great free facilities

• 9th Nov 2014

Nice place, the kitchen is really well set up. The ladies showers are awkwardly placed if you aren't staying on the first floor. Under 5 minutes to the bus stop. Lots of young partiers but you couldn't hear them from the dorms.

I was a little bit irritated that there where no windows in the kitchen and dining-room, that caused for me a weird atmosphere. And the social community was kind of split up, because of people sitting in the kitchen and at the reception, there was not one common room....

• 1st Nov 2014

More towels in kitchen would be nice and boxes for food storage

• 30th Oct 2014

One of the best equipped kitchen I have ever seen in a hostel. Also very clean and enough space in the fridge. Staff is very friendly and helpful with information and booking. WIFI worked well in most parts of the building.

I was here for one night and it was a good place. Very secure, lockers that fit all your stuff, right in the center of town, and it's hard to beat the low price. The common space was nice but closed early, which didn't bother me since I had taken an early bus anyway and most of the hostel went out that night.

The staff is what really made the stay warm and welcoming for me. They literally waited up for me because my car has ran out of gas on my way to them. I arrived and Vanessa, one of the staff, had me call her when I arrived. She checked us in and was glad we had made it safely, because she had been concerned for me and the three girls I was with. That made this place even more acceptional of a stay. I would highly recommend it, as well as l, stay again someday.

• 9th Oct 2014

Great place to stay, safe, secure, lots of Amazing amenities provided for free (8-pool, table tennis, Xbox, movies...). The kitchen is well equipped, clean, and with lots of room for your stuff in the fridges. Booze is allowed almost everywhere except the bed rooms and washrooms I guess (but I also guess you're pretty weird if you drink in those last ones) Barry at the desk was amazingly friendly and helpful, made my day talking to him! Will definitely go back there!

• 7th Oct 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in so far on my 3 month travels. First off the common area has comfy chairs, an xbox, tv, a ping-pong table and a pool table - all free! There are also books to read and dvds to watch. The kitchen is also really big with tonnes of space for food and appliances. The rooms were nice as well with a heater for the cold weather.. It's also smack bang in the centre of Rotorua and there is a rockcliming wall and an excellent cinema on the first floor!!

Good hostel but a bit big and impersonal.

Excellent hostel, friendly staff, perfect location, good and big common areas. Definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed at.

Would be perfect if the guys toilets were a bit better and the wifi reached to the second floor/the reception area didn't close so early

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the kitchen was very clean and tidy, and the room was decent (double). Facilities were above average with an array of books, games, pool and table tennis and even karaoke. We were warned in taking the double room that the neighbouring bar music tends to be noisy but we never found this a problem. One of the best hostels I've stayed at.

Great staff. Only real complaint I have is that the lounge closes at 10pm which is REALLY early, this means that everyone moves to the area immediately outside the rooms which can be annoying if you're trying to get to bed early. There are tonnes of hostels in Rotorua, lots have thermal-heated spas, Rock solid doesn't. I liked the hostel but gotta think there are probably better options although the price here was much better than others. No matter what you choose I think you'd be happy.

Me and my friends really enjoyed staying at this Hostel. Very nice and helpful employees. We would always come back!

• 19th Jul 2014

I loved the atmosphere at this place. Very friendly and helpful staff. Games and movies in the lounge were actually played with, and offered a great way to meet other people. The kitchen was a huge bonus - I love being able to cook on the road. The bedroom was nice and warm, although the bathroom wasn't heated, so showering was a bit awkward. Also, the halls and the kitchen echo a lot, so even when people were just talking it was a bit noisy at night. All said, I would probably stay here again.

• 17th Jul 2014

Very good hostel with great staff. Free (and fast!) WIFI is a major bonus. Highly recomanded this one!