Roommates Penang Reviews

17 B, Lorong Chulia, Penang, Malaysia

Good location, really comfy beds with own plugs, lights and curtains. Showers were hot or cold and good pressure. Free basic breakfast. Lockers available too.

Good location, near to quite a handful of good food places. Ask for a map at the counter! The uncles at the counter were friendly and helpful. The air-con in the room wasn't cold enough - not sure if someone in the room had turned it down, or the air-con wasn't strong. But at least there's a ceiling fan. Slight mouldy smell, probably because the windows and door are usually shut tight. You'll get used to the smell in an hour, though. The pillow was a little too small and soft for me.

• 7th Jan 2016
  • Singapore

Didn't quite like the idea of leaving the door unlocked (no keys were given) but other than that absolutely AMAZING service, hospitality and cleanliness. Loved the comfy beds - one of the best I've slept on. Was very happy to be getting beds in the biggest room (with windows!) and really had nice roommates during my stay. Staff was on point, ready to help anytime and always with a smile. Wouldnt think twice about coming here again. WIN!

Very nice and small hostel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We loved Georgetown and the hostel, so we booked three more nights.

Raymond and Mr. Moi and Mr M where very friendly and helpful.

Cute little hostel in a great location. Helpful member of staff. Nice and chilled and unjudging atmosphere :)

There are 2 Roommates Penang and just across each other. They were so kind to let me check-in at 5AM. The dormitory beds are bigger than the usual single bed size and the wi-fi signal was very good.

Was moved to the women's hostel which was of much worse quality then the original. Everything was clean and a fine stay, however it had no atmosphere whatsoever. I moved to clockwise hostel which was not only more vibrant and suitable for socialising, but was also cheaper and a better breakfast.

It was a very small and homey place. The staff was very nice and easy to talk to. The beds were also very comfortable, big, and the curtains gave us more privacy. I would definitely come here again :)

Booked with roommates and when we got there we got told we was staying in roommates 2. This was fine as it's pretty much opposite, in the same looking building. We were seen to by a lovely lady most of the time. When we asked how to get anywhere she told us how to get it by public transport (which was really easy) and saved us a lot of money. The dorm was fairly big and we had our own light/curtain and a room mirror! Georgetown is lovely and there is some amazing street art! Thanks to the staff!

I hope there will be iron provided for a more convenient stay.

• 24th Sep 2015
  • Malaysia

I had heard good things but when I got there was disappointed. Very small with strange setup in the bathrooms. (To be clear, I could have been perfectly happy here except that for the same price down the street there was way better!) Man at the front was a sweetheart. I did not end up staying here after I checked in but that was exclusive to a situation in my assigned dorm.

Stayed for 7 nights. Place is clean and the staff are friendly. My room (4bed dorm all female) has no window but for the price I think it's reasonable. Need to set up alarm though coz you won't know it's already 11am! I like the curtains and light+socket per bed as it allows for privacy. CR is clean but no hot shower (at least when during my stay). Have a nice chat w/ one of the staff who's a fan of Jericho Rosales (Filipino actor). I hope to come back with my family or friends once again. :)

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Philippines

oh~! i'm so sorry to heard that u need to shower in cold~~~actual do u saw a huge single switch beside the door on every bathroom? that's the electric for the hot shower~! once again~! so sorry bout this~!

Small and cute little hostel with friendly owner who gave me a map and showed me where all the good places to go were. The showers were on the first floor behind the reception which didn't give you much privacy but otherwise, it was very clean and comfortable. Also was good for meeting people.

There was a social component missing from the hostel which was disappointing for a solo traveller. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable about Penang and gave plenty of tips what to see and when to go. The air conditioner in the shared room i stayed in was poorly positioned above the bunks not in the cnetre oif room so cool air didnt circulaqte into the beds. The privacy curtain was a great idea and the wifi was super fast and reliable.

• 18th Aug 2015