Roommates Penang Reviews

17 B, Lorong Chulia, Penang, Malaysia

The guys working here are so helpful and will give you advice for everything you need :) breakfast is included, wifi is pretty good, it's right round the corner from the Main Street (Chulia) and the beds are SUPER comfy - and big too! I'd definitely stay here again if I went back!

The wifi in the dorm did not realy work. but in the common area it worked very good

Nice, clean, comfortable hostel. No flashy. Probably a little more expensive than others nearby but looked much cleaner. Also close walk to the cheapest beer place in town.

Felt like home! Cosy beds, friendly and very helpful stuff and good breakfast.

Staff were really friendly and helped with any request needed. The rooms were basic and clean and the toilets were clean too.

• 2nd Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Actually there are two roommates next to each other, using the same internet reservation system and there is a conflict of interest between each other, so you never know which one people describing. The only complaint i have about the one i stayed is the smell of durian (a smelly tropical fruit, many places ban them altogether because of the ugly smell) but this is a temporary thing, the condition is probably not applied permanently

R1 is mixed/male dorm, R2 is female dorm, and we r juz exactly opposite to each other, sorry for the confusion~!

Such friendly staff! We were very happy with our stay here, and think that ALL hostels should have to have the set up like Roommates - the curtains on each bed made a big difference as well as the personal lights and little baskets - it was good value for money and we were impressed with the cleanliness and especially the staff being so accommodating. There wasn't a lot of light in the room (no outside window) but that didn't take away from our great stay here! Definitely a recommended hostel!

Great place. Really friendly older staff members who address you by name upon arrival. Breakfast included. Huge beds with curtains for privacy. Great air-con in the 4 bed dorm. Something like "supper club" in the evening would be good for solo travellers to meet up and go to one of the local hawkers markets together to avoid being overcharged in the restaurants / cafes and as a good opportunity to meet other travellers.

Very good location close to both Little India and China Town. Facilities were OK and their WIFI was quite fast compared to many other hostels & gueshouses in South East Asia.

I like the map that teach me good shops. I go to many place of penang using it. the map really help me! thanks for all your kindness

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Japan

Nice beds with curtains and private lights and sockets. Breakfast could be improved. Staff oki, English as always.

Good hostel to stay at, great location and good beds. More of a common area would be nice and certain staff could be friendlier. Good value for money in Penang and would stay again

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE. Long story short, because we were talking and laughing outside, the night porter thought we were laughing at him and he basically threatened to call the cops and tell them that we tried to hit him if we didn't apologize. That sort of behavior is not permissible and the owner told me it wasn't the first time this night porter behaved in such a way. Keeping a guy like that is sheer insanity. Plenty of nice, equally-priced hostels in the area. Skip this loony bin.

• 1st Feb 2015
  • Japan

Mr thought I have already apologized and request my staff to apologize to you too. Am really surprised that you still take it so badly. I have also agree to your staying one night free as per your request and hoping that things will be amicably settled . Anyway we have l insured that same would not happened again.

The bed curtains provided some nice privacy in the dorms. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location is ideal to explore George Town and catch a bus to the natural reserve/the nice beaches.

This hostel is very clean and comfortable. However, the atmosphere wasn't great. It is pretty small, so not a ton of people to meet. Still - comfortable place to be. I recommend Love Street however. I ended up moving to Reggae Hostel and had a great time there.

I stayed in the second location of Roommates for just one night. It was a good place to stop over, the receptionist was nice and helpful, the bed was clean and wifi worked. Breakfast was meh. It's right in the middle of Georgetown so easy to walk around. Nothing to rave about, nothing to complain about really, other than the lack of public space to hang out. Not easy to meet people.

Excellent staff, friendly and helpful!

This hostel is split up into two hostels, if you book a 4 pax dorm you will be sent to a small building. This means not meeting many people, breakfast is simple, toast and if you are lucky an egg, coffee was very nice. Staff was unpolite when the wifi wasnt working it felt like 'it was my problem' I dont like that attitude and changed to the other place which I really enjoyed, meeting people and even more comfort

• 18th Jan 2015

nice wee place which is clean and centrally located, easy to get around Georgetown on foot and the rest of the island by bus, we actually stayed for 3 nights and then came back a week later for another 2 nights after Langkawi so we could fly to Melaka, would stay again, only thing is if you're having a few drinks the rooms are very close to the small social area and people can get a bit annoyed if they go to bed early.

The place is tiny but well designed, maximizing available space. The A\C was struggling in the dorm, hence there were mosquitoes at night.