Roommates Penang Reviews

17 B, Lorong Chulia, Penang, Malaysia

Good hostel to stay at, great location and good beds. More of a common area would be nice and certain staff could be friendlier. Good value for money in Penang and would stay again

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE. Long story short, because we were talking and laughing outside, the night porter thought we were laughing at him and he basically threatened to call the cops and tell them that we tried to hit him if we didn't apologize. That sort of behavior is not permissible and the owner told me it wasn't the first time this night porter behaved in such a way. Keeping a guy like that is sheer insanity. Plenty of nice, equally-priced hostels in the area. Skip this loony bin.

• 1st Feb 2015
  • Japan

Mr thought I have already apologized and request my staff to apologize to you too. Am really surprised that you still take it so badly. I have also agree to your staying one night free as per your request and hoping that things will be amicably settled . Anyway we have l insured that same would not happened again.

The bed curtains provided some nice privacy in the dorms. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location is ideal to explore George Town and catch a bus to the natural reserve/the nice beaches.

I stayed in the second location of Roommates for just one night. It was a good place to stop over, the receptionist was nice and helpful, the bed was clean and wifi worked. Breakfast was meh. It's right in the middle of Georgetown so easy to walk around. Nothing to rave about, nothing to complain about really, other than the lack of public space to hang out. Not easy to meet people.

Excellent staff, friendly and helpful!

This hostel is split up into two hostels, if you book a 4 pax dorm you will be sent to a small building. This means not meeting many people, breakfast is simple, toast and if you are lucky an egg, coffee was very nice. Staff was unpolite when the wifi wasnt working it felt like 'it was my problem' I dont like that attitude and changed to the other place which I really enjoyed, meeting people and even more comfort

• 18th Jan 2015

nice wee place which is clean and centrally located, easy to get around Georgetown on foot and the rest of the island by bus, we actually stayed for 3 nights and then came back a week later for another 2 nights after Langkawi so we could fly to Melaka, would stay again, only thing is if you're having a few drinks the rooms are very close to the small social area and people can get a bit annoyed if they go to bed early.

The place is tiny but well designed, maximizing available space. The A\C was struggling in the dorm, hence there were mosquitoes at night.

Spent three nights here and was very satisfied. The staff was very helpful and the free coffee was great. I think I had read in a review about this place before booking that there were bed bugs. I did NOT experience a bed bug problem. Met great people here and enjoyed my stay!

great place with great beds! and very clean!

Nice hostel with very comfy bed. Hard place to meet people, but I enjoyed my stay!

I booked for 1 night but extended by stay to 5 nights. I really like the hostel, it's got a nice chill out area in the reception so it's good for chatting to other guests. The dorm beds are the cubby hole type with the curtain, plug socket and light. Everything is clean, central location, lockers for valuables, nice breakfast of toast, eggs, tea and coffee. Friendly and helpful staff also. If I return to Penang I'll stay here again.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Shower/toilet areas were clean. I stayed in the 4 person mixed dorm, and the beds offer a lot of privacy with curtains. There were small lockers just outside the room (bring your own lock). The temperature in the room was a bit cold, but that was fine. WiFi was strong. I'd recommend this place to others.

• 6th Dec 2014

I booked a room for the hostel roommates. But when I arrived, I had to go to the hostel roommates 2. This hostel is close to the other, but the atmosphere is very quiet. I didn’t’ met other people.

Nice clean small place. Helpful staff. Wifi was shaky but that seemed pretty true in Penang in general. Curtains, power source, and light for each dorm bed. Breakfast (included) is toast and if you want to hard boil your own eggs. Free coffee, tea.

Keep up the good work!

• 15th Nov 2014
  • Malaysia

Thanks Kent.

Really welcoming and helpful staff. Love the curtains on each bed to get a bit of privacy. No key and door to dorm doesn't lock but there is always someone downstairs so I guess they would stop any intruders, and there are small lockers outside the dorm to store valuables. It is small but well designed and very clean. Great hostel :)

There is just that one guy who made the stay and thus the atmosphere a bit weird. One evening he came and told us to be quite at 7:30pm, we werent partying, just talking. The other day he yelled for hours to someone on the phone, you could here that throughout the hostel. Then he started a discussion with another guest about why women shouldnt work, but rather do the household. He enters rooms not knocking on the door. The other staff was nice though. Cleanliness is perfect. Breakfast ok.

I am so sorry to hear that. Will look into the matter and ensure same would not happen again.

We booked a 4-bed female dorm, which was not situated in the Roommates building that you see in the photos here, but in another shoplot a street away. Location is good, with most of the tourist attractions within walking distance. The room we had was bare and basic, but beds and pillows were comfortable. Not the best hostel I've stayed in, but fine for a 1-night stay.

The location is easy to find. The environment of the hostel is good. Bed is comfortable and it's good that they provide curtain for each bed. Staff there are really helpful and friendly. Their also provide some recommendations for searching hostel in the next destination and place to go. Very good hostel!