Roommates Penang Reviews

17 B, Lorong Chulia, Penang, Malaysia

Some of the stuff spoke good English, unfortunately most of the time we were stuck with staff who couldn't understand a word we were saying which was very frustrating when trying to organise something. Staff not always available. Promised 'ultra speed WiFi', 90% of the time it didn't work at all. No laundry facilities even thought it states there are. Blanket too small.Good that bed has individual light, socket, and curtain. Showers hot and clean, rooms are kept cool and clean.

Nice boss and staff, very good atmosphere.Clean, safe and good location. I really enjoy the stay in Roommates.If I go to Penang again, I will also choose Roommates.

We arrived here late at night after our flight was delayed. The guy who works there at night was very accommodating. We went up to our room, had a shower and a good sleep. The beds are comfortable and big. There is a light and plug point at each individual bed and a curtain for privacy. The shower and toilet was clean.

• 7th Jun 2014

Had a great stay there! Location is great! Lentyle is a great staff member! She helped us a lot! Thank you!!

Thank you Sarah. Hope to see you back some other time . Regards

Very well located in city heritage area where i can covered so many places to explore even on foot. Nice cosy hostel and quiet. Very friendly uncle receptionist and helpful as well.

• 10th May 2014
  • Singapore

Doors have no locks but there are lockers in each room and always one member of staff on reception. Staff all really friendly and helpful. Had a medical emergency one night with another guest and when instructed to call the ambulance, the night receptionist did so without fail and continued to chase them up when they didn't turn up for 40 mins. Good showers and breakfast goes on til 11! Pretty nice place to stay :)

This place grows on you and makes you want to spend time at the hostel. Yenteel aka Maya is extremely helpful and courteous.The location is perfect as it is very close to all the places I wanted to visit and relax at..for eg. the street art places, the street food, shopping places, beer hangouts and lovely coffee shops. Yet is is quiet enough in your rooms to sleep well.Clean atmosphere.You get to meet amazing people who make this hostel their home for 3-4 months..Would go back

Very friendly for backpacker. Nice staff who gave many help and advised good information. Hostel is very clean. Good location which quite but no far from 7-11 and bus stop.

• 16th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

Clean and good location,very close to main street where you can find so many food at night. Room is clean and very good for pravicy. Average price for hostels in Penang,highly recommend.

Great location and staff. The dorm were clean and spacious. Roommates 1....I'll be back.

部屋、お風呂、トイレ全てにおいて綺麗だとおもいました。 ベッドも、清潔感がありました。またとても、良い立地にあり、街灯がずっとあるため、夜の道も真っ暗ではなく安心して歩けました。 スタッフは、とても優しくお勧めのお店や、食べ物など質問するとしっかりと答えてくださいました。 ただ、ドミトリー(8人)しか無いので、お見知り置きを。

Nice, clean small place composing of two houses diagonally across from each other. No real hang out area but there's plenty to see and do outside in and around Georgetown. Helpful decent free brefast. Goodwife too.

Quite an alternative hotel, nice stay but didn't actually have key to the room, so security not great, I also had a bike stolen out the front- obviously not the hostels fault but be careful. Good beds and aircon. Close to little india- YUM and once you work out the bus system you can get anywhere. PS there is Roommates I and II so be careful which one, although II is just up the road so not a big deal.

• 25th Feb 2014

Nice owner and staff. It was last day of CNY and the owner held a small party for the guests ^^ Overall nice and clean ^^

Checking in, it really have that dorm atmosphere. I was warmly greeted by other guests and Yentl. I asked about their cancellation policy just right after checking , thinking that the place would be cheap. I was proven wrong, the hostel is clean and decent, at first I thought I'd look for a better hotel after my first night there but I actually extended my stay and will definitely stay there again if ever I'll be back in Penang.

Room mates Penang is a great place. I stayed there for a total of 1 month over a period of 3 different trips to Penang in 2013 and 2014. The curtains that come with each bed are absolutely genius. The staff do there absolute best to insure that bed bugs do not infest the place. There was a social dinner with free drinks and food for both Christmas Eve and the end of the Chinese New Year, amazing. Beer is only 5 ringgit. AC in the rooms, no curfew, free towels, clean sheets. 4 stars out of 5.

• 4th Feb 2014

Stay at roommate 2, it has a great location, clean & comfort mattress, clean toilet and enthusiastic staffs. definitely will come back again!

• 3rd Feb 2014
  • Malaysia

Awesome place!

A very nice and clean hostel in Georgetown. The staff is very kind and helpful!

The staff is very helpful, location is OK, but the shower and locker is on the first floor while the dorm is on the second, which is a little bit inconvenient