Roommates Penang Reviews

17 B, Lorong Chulia, Penang, Malaysia

I really enjoyed it here and extended my stay two days while knowing many other choices are available nearby. Close to many Indian and Chinese good options at great prices. A/C could be stronger in the bunk room but the ceiling fan helped. Curtains on beds offer lots of privacy if you can be without feeling the air. Showers are hot, soap provided. clean facilities and helpful staff.

One of the nicest hostels I have ever stayed in! Comfy beds, clean, great location and the most helpful staff ever!

The female dorm is down the street from the mixed bed dorm. It has very few rooms and a very small common kitchen area outside that is not airconditioned. The staff is competent but not overly friendly or helpful in suggesting activities or sites. There are curtains on each bunk and each bunk has a plug and shelf for charging electronics. The dorm is airconditioned but it stopped working in the middle of the night and had to be fixed (which it was promptly.)

• 20th Jul 2015

So happy I stayed here.

Best atmosphere I've felt in a hostel. The beds are amazing and each one has a curtain, most privacy I've ever felt sleeping a couple meters from 7 strangers. Great location and staff as well. Basically perfect.

Staying here was a very pleasant experience. Apart from the obvious good points, we were really overwhelmed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. For me, that was very special and will ensure that I tell all my friends who travel to Penang to stay there. Thanks for your warmth and friendliness. Paul and Zoe.

• 7th Jul 2015

Roommates was full on arrival so review is for Roommates 2 a few shops away. Great new beds/mattresses/pillows perhaps the best in 2.5 years of hostelling! Each bed has it's own curtain, power socket and light. Stayed in female 4 bed, aircon was great, door does not lock but quite standard across Asia, lockers downstairs (own padlock). Shower over toilet in cubicle clean and hot water available, washing machine for own use 4RM up to 5kg. Wifi unstable in bedroom. V.helpful staff. Def recommend

Malay staff were soo RUDE from the first day we stayed. He was mad at us because we complained about his behaviour on the net. And the worst thing, he locked us inside because he wants to lecture us about what we had done(complaint on the net). WTF?! Is that how u treat ur guest? Terrible staff. Better sacked him or he'll make more trouble in the future. I AM NOT HAPPY AND COMFORTABLE STAYING THERE. FIRST AND THE LAST!

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Malaysia

Hi Sonia I am so sorry about the incident. We have terminated his service and once again our sincere apology on the incident. Regards

The guys working here are so helpful and will give you advice for everything you need :) breakfast is included, wifi is pretty good, it's right round the corner from the Main Street (Chulia) and the beds are SUPER comfy - and big too! I'd definitely stay here again if I went back!

Roomates was such a breath of fresh air after some less than ideal hostel experinces elsewhere in Malaysia. I stayed in the female only hostel (right across the street from the main hostel) and had such a lovely experince. The rooms and toilets were spotless, the beds and pillows were so big and comfy, and the location is ideal (quite but still very close to the main road). The staff were also great.. I arrived at around 6am and they allowed me to check into my room right away. So nice!

The wifi in the dorm did not realy work. but in the common area it worked very good

Nice, clean, comfortable hostel. No flashy. Probably a little more expensive than others nearby but looked much cleaner. Also close walk to the cheapest beer place in town.

Felt like home! Cosy beds, friendly and very helpful stuff and good breakfast.

Staff were really friendly and helped with any request needed. The rooms were basic and clean and the toilets were clean too.

• 2nd Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Actually there are two roommates next to each other, using the same internet reservation system and there is a conflict of interest between each other, so you never know which one people describing. The only complaint i have about the one i stayed is the smell of durian (a smelly tropical fruit, many places ban them altogether because of the ugly smell) but this is a temporary thing, the condition is probably not applied permanently

R1 is mixed/male dorm, R2 is female dorm, and we r juz exactly opposite to each other, sorry for the confusion~!

Such friendly staff! We were very happy with our stay here, and think that ALL hostels should have to have the set up like Roommates - the curtains on each bed made a big difference as well as the personal lights and little baskets - it was good value for money and we were impressed with the cleanliness and especially the staff being so accommodating. There wasn't a lot of light in the room (no outside window) but that didn't take away from our great stay here! Definitely a recommended hostel!

Great place. Really friendly older staff members who address you by name upon arrival. Breakfast included. Huge beds with curtains for privacy. Great air-con in the 4 bed dorm. Something like "supper club" in the evening would be good for solo travellers to meet up and go to one of the local hawkers markets together to avoid being overcharged in the restaurants / cafes and as a good opportunity to meet other travellers.

Very good location close to both Little India and China Town. Facilities were OK and their WIFI was quite fast compared to many other hostels & gueshouses in South East Asia.

I like the map that teach me good shops. I go to many place of penang using it. the map really help me! thanks for all your kindness

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Japan

Nice beds with curtains and private lights and sockets. Breakfast could be improved. Staff oki, English as always.