Rosebank Lodge Reviews

219 Jan Smuts Avenue, Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa

First off there is minimal provided. They were out of towels and had no utensils or plates or cookware. Upon my arrival I was forced to sign a contract saying that if I ended my stay early, I would not be reimbursed. It wasnt until I arrived that I realized there was also no wifi. When one of the employees realized I am South African, I was questioned in front of other guests about why I was staying at this hostel and was told "most locals are thieves".

I would definitely recommend this backpackers lodge. It is a short safe walk from the Rosebank Gautrain station. I met some wonderful fellow travelers here. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and comfortable. Advice: You must bring your own towels. There are lockers in the rooms, but you will need your own locks to secure them. The reception only accepts cash and there is a R50 refundable key deposit. The main vehicle gate can be opened with a switch behind the wall on the left. It has a delay.

The worst night of my life. We weren't given the room booked. The whole place felt really unsafe. The bed sheets smelt of poo. The bunk bed was so rickety that anytime either person moved the whole thing shook, so even if I haven't been too scared to sleep I wouldn't have been able to. When we tried to cut our stay short and leave the next morning they refused to open the gate and let us out, despite asking four times. I would NEVER recommend.

View all Johannesburg Hostels