Rosebank Lodge Reviews

219 Jan Smuts Avenue, Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa

The beginning of our stay was a bit hectic. Not a single small table in the room, no hanger in the wardrobe, no towels in the bathroom and water in the shower icy cold in a tough winter time! Though the following day we appreciated a fixed warmer shower and the company of other mates like Kim and John who made our stay one of our best friendships ever. Our gratitude to Tracey, one of the staff who gently escorted us to the taxi rank on our departure day. Thanks so much to her.

• 25th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Overall exceedingly good value for the money. Only real issue was inability of the staff to help, on multiple occasions, with navigating the city.

• 17th Aug 2013

The kitchen is emptry there is just broken tools my room was in 10 days not ones cleanend the people don t take care about the place the wifi was not for free how promised

• 31st May 2013
  • Switzerland

Hi There, I would not recommend this hostel to anyone - you can get much better for the same price!

Good place. Good location.

I'd definitely not recommend this hostel. The place is running out. It seems that it was created just for the 2010 World Cup and since then they didn't care about the place. There are no travelers in this hostel, just permanent guests. I didn't feel safe in there and the surrounding area isn't good as well. The only advantage point is convinient distance from the Rosebank Mall (The Zone) - about 15-20 min walk. To sum up, try to find another place.

• 29th Nov 2012

Amazing Hostel , very central , close to everything , gautrain bus stop infront of the hostel , gautrain station only 10min walk , absolutely perfect , my only choice for a hostel in Joburg. Very Very Good Security

• 29th Oct 2012
  • South Africa

Basic but OK hostel. You get what you pay for. Small rooms and bathrooms. However there is a nice pool and it's a 15min walk to the Gautrain station and The Zone@Rosebank (mall)! From the Gautrain station you can get a train to the airport or the CBD (see the Gautrain website).

The location is convenient to the Gautrain BUS - there is a stop [I think it' the fifth one from the Rosebank stop] right outside the hostel. Crossing the street on the way back at rush hour is a bit fun - lots of traffic. I stayed at the dormitory and it was so-so. It's a 4-person dorm, and if 3 others had shown up it would have been very crowded in there since the room is really small. However, other than that, and the value for the $$, I would not recommend staying at Rosebank.

Rosebank Lodge's saving grace is its proximity to the Gautrain station. The Gautrain is convenient to get to the airport, downtown Joburg and Pretoria, and the Lodge is only a few blocks away. Otherwise, facilities were cramped and, though passable, not the cleanest. While the manager was quite friendly and helpful, the rest of the staff was downright surly. Unless you a have an early morning flight at Tambo, you can do better.

I had prebooked two nights accommodation here, but as soon as I arrived I knew I could not stay here. Put simply this place is a dump and should be avoided. It is run down, dirty and old. The location is nice, Rosebank is a beautiful neighbourhood and the staff were friendly and helpful, but nonetheless I could NOT stay there so forfeited my deposit and went elsewhere. The general standards of hostels in J'burg is low so I paid the extra and stayed in a guesthouse in Hyde Park.

I stayed at Rosebank Lodge for a week and found it great. They are in the process of renovating the premises and think it will look great when finished. I found the staff to be really friendly and very helpful with a 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude. The location is also excellent, very centrally located to the Rosebank Mall and situated in a very nice area. I would definitely recommend this friendly backpackers to those looking for a down to earth, friendly, good value for money place.

Very nice location and staff!Good enough for the price charged.

• 3rd Apr 2012
  • China

The scruffiest place I have ever stayed in and will definitely not advise anyone to stay there. Rosebank is supposed to be upclass, this was more like staying in a ghetto.

• 5th Dec 2011
  • South Africa

Wonderfull assistance given to me from the Staff. Close by to Rosebank Shopping Centre and train station yet still in a quite location.

Location pretty far from interesting sites. Owners were friendly to clients but argueing amongst each other all the time.

The building we were in was very cold and smelled like grease. Even though it was freezing outside, people kept leaving the doors open. After one day, we moved to a better hostel down the street.

Not a very pleasant experience. Did not get designated beds and rooms as booked. However hosts were very helpful and subsequently they even moderated the charges.For the first time we were disappointed with this Hostelworld booking!

I think the hostel is located in a safe and pleasant area of Johannesburg. It close to a shopping mall and supermarkets. Local people rent units in the hostel compound so I got to talk to a lot of them and learn more about South Africa. However, the six-bed dorm that I booked was not very clean; there were cigarette butts on the floor. Also, the owner, Steve, could be more friendly. I want to take this chance to warn travelers that Jo'burg is a dangerous city as I was mugged during the day near Town Te

We stayed in the hostel for 5 nigths. We liked the good location. You'll find a big mall with shops bars and clubs in walking distance and we felt secure to go there even at night. It was easy to get into town and back by mini bus taxi. We meet some very nice people there and had a great first night with the owner taking us with him to some very good clubs. What we didn't like was that our room was tiny and the bath was unclean. The kitchen was missing even basic things like spoons and forks.

• 29th Jan 2011