Rotorua Central Backpackers Reviews

1076 Pukuatua St, Rotorua, New Zealand

Good clean place

Pretty standard hostel, although without bunk beds which is a nice change. No lockers.

For the bathroom, very highly advised, shower should be installed not bathtub.

The first staff member was not as pleasant to deal with, but the ones following were great help and had amazing recommendations for places to eat! There were only two showers for the women to share, but it was never a problem. I do wish they did a better job at advertising/announcing some of the hostel activities (like the group dinner), so we could have joined, but for the price we paid I can't make too many complaints. Overall quaint place, amazing location, and spot on for recommendations!

• 2nd Apr 2015

Loved this hostel- great location, super clean, no bunk beds and every bed had 2 plug sockets and a bedside table- little things that made it really comfy and nice to stay. I've paid a lot more for a lot less in other places- really recommend this hostel.

Great central location and clean and comfortable rooms. I only wish the lady behind reception spent less time drinking vinegar and more time being pleasant to her guests. Leaving passive-aggressive notes about cleaning, times for using bathrooms, etc also did not help. And really. If you have a left luggage service make it for the day, not just until 2pm. Our bus departed at 4pm and we were told [with an insincere smile and false laugh] that after 2pm there would be a $10 charge.

I am sorry you got a bad vibe from one of our staff. Not sure what to make about that, because that is not what Catherine and I aim for. We do have free baggage storage. The $10 day use fee is for those people on, say, 11:30pm buses that want to use the facilities all day cooking, showers, internet... So I guess that is on me for bad staff training. Neil

Really nice place. The dark wood reminded us of an old English boarding school. Neil was really helpful and friendly. He told us about a warm creek you can swim in nearby. Gorgeous!

• 24th Mar 2015

Quiet hostel with older age group, a lovely old building that doesn't feel like a hostel, nice stay!

Very comfortable beds, but paper thin walls!

• 22nd Feb 2015

Best stuff ever! located in central Rotorua, convinient for everything!

• 16th Feb 2015
  • China

Had a great stay here. Staff really helpful and location was excellent...very close to supermarkets and eateries

Not enough toilets for the rooms, but manageable for a couple of nights.

We have 8 shared toilets, so I am a little surprised. Maybe we need to sign-post them more? Cheers Neil

This place was awesome. I would have stayed longer if I could afford the time. The beds are comfortable and they aren't bunk beds. The wifi was free and reliable. Great kitchen. Friendly staff. I loved it there.

I love this hostel very much. The woman in the reception was very friendly and kind.

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Malaysia

Eponymously central. Staff and guests were helpful and friendly. Hostel was clean and well-maintained throughout. Kitchen was large and well-equipped. Wifi worked. Security was average. No lockers in dorm so you have to be careful or trust your fellow guests.

Very nice place, good management. Very tidy. We stayed there as a little family with a stroller and had a good time!

• 2nd Jan 2015

Glad you had a good stay - thank you for your comments

Nice hostel in an characterful building, central location, nice owners. Thanks for recommending the beautiful walking tour around the town.

And thank you for your nice comment Cheers Neil

Really homely place very close to the coach stop and near to shops, restaurants etc. Nice rooms, great showers with areas to change in too. Good facilities, kitchen nice and clean. Would have liked a security locker just to know things were safe if you left them in the room.

Thanks for your review. Have thought about lockers but, due to having just single beds, space is limited. All shared rooms are self-locking and we do have a safe in the office for guest use. Cheers Neil

Absolutely loved this hostel. The staff and location are fantastic.

Cheers for that! Someone that likes the sulphur smell of Rotorua? :) Neil

very nice hostel with normal beds. The staff is super helpfull. Only the living room is not creating a group ambiance.