Rotorua Central Backpackers Reviews

1076 Pukuatua St, Rotorua, New Zealand

Very friendly hostel, lovely staff, great facilities :)

Very comfy beds. Although a weird ambiance/atmosphere in the hostel. (Not many backpackers, but older (grumpy) people and people who live there). Very thin walls.

WOW Sorry to see you had a run in with some grumpy people. There were two 'older' people in around your stay, out of 40 backpackers, so I do not know how you missed the others. The only people that 'live' here are a handful of backpackers working in restaurants. Grumpy is not cool though! I hope that is not the vibe you got from Catherine or I. Neil

BEST HOSTEL EVER! We were complicated guests (arrived late etc) and Neil, his wife and the night staff were always amazing to us, warm, friendly and very helpful. They also give good advices on what to do in the area. Besides facilities are perfect: cozy, warm temperature everywhere, hot showers, all rooms clean at all time, kitchen very well equiped, tv room and even a small hot pool! Very central location - close to bus stop. Only weakness: you have to pay to use the computer

Duvet is too hot

The king size bed in the private room and the room furniture was great. The hostel was very clean in general, except for the kitchen.

The location of this place was so convenient, also the bedrooms were so comfortable. Everyone has their own bed, own bed side table and a PowerPoint. I felt like I wasn't cramped up! Would highly recommend

So nice to be in a warm hostel. Great location. Hot pool out the back is a really good place to relax in the evening.

Great hostel with lovely staff in a central location. On arrival the manager spent a good 15 minutes with me describing what he recommends doing in town, and then gave me a tour of the hostel. The Hot Spa is also a wicked place to spend some time relaxing after a hard day exploring!

I had a great stay, really comfortable beds and no bunk beds. Each bed had its own bed-side cabinet and plug sockets and free unlimited WiFi, was a really comfy chilled out place to stay and only minutes walk away from shops and the lake.

We loved our stay here in Rotorua. Instead of squeaky bunks we slept on comfy single beds in a room that felt half like home. There was enough space for everyone and you had individual plug sockets and a mini table/shelf each. The facilities were very good as well, with lots of hot showers and toilets, and a fully equipped kitchen. Would stay again!

Staff was extremely friendly and wifi was very fast.

Nice to hear the wifi is working properly :) We just upgraded our network so that it works well in every place in the hostel, and at any time. Cheers Neil

Good place to stay, manager was very friendly and gave us a detailed map of places to go in town, hot pool was decent, only issue was that the soap dispenser in the bathroom did Not get refilled during our three day stay, king size bed was great.

Staff training (or lack thereof) :( Glad you mostly enjoyed your stay - despite the soap. Cheers Neil

Second time we've stayed here and have nothing bad to say. Big clean rooms, super friendly owners and good location.

We love returned guests :) Cheers Neil

Good clean place

Pretty standard hostel, although without bunk beds which is a nice change. No lockers.

Free unlimited wifi, no bunk beds (excellent innersprung mattresses) 41 degree spa... Sorry, but we think we anything but a pretty stanard hostel! Just saying :) Neil

For the bathroom, very highly advised, shower should be installed not bathtub.

The first staff member was not as pleasant to deal with, but the ones following were great help and had amazing recommendations for places to eat! There were only two showers for the women to share, but it was never a problem. I do wish they did a better job at advertising/announcing some of the hostel activities (like the group dinner), so we could have joined, but for the price we paid I can't make too many complaints. Overall quaint place, amazing location, and spot on for recommendations!

• 2nd Apr 2015

Loved this hostel- great location, super clean, no bunk beds and every bed had 2 plug sockets and a bedside table- little things that made it really comfy and nice to stay. I've paid a lot more for a lot less in other places- really recommend this hostel.

Thank you for your nice comments. Glad you enjoyed it here. Cheers Neil

Great central location and clean and comfortable rooms. I only wish the lady behind reception spent less time drinking vinegar and more time being pleasant to her guests. Leaving passive-aggressive notes about cleaning, times for using bathrooms, etc also did not help. And really. If you have a left luggage service make it for the day, not just until 2pm. Our bus departed at 4pm and we were told [with an insincere smile and false laugh] that after 2pm there would be a $10 charge.

I am sorry you got a bad vibe from one of our staff. Not sure what to make about that, because that is not what Catherine and I aim for. We do have free baggage storage. The $10 day use fee is for those people on, say, 11:30pm buses that want to use the facilities all day cooking, showers, internet... So I guess that is on me for bad staff training. Neil

Really nice place. The dark wood reminded us of an old English boarding school. Neil was really helpful and friendly. He told us about a warm creek you can swim in nearby. Gorgeous!

• 24th Mar 2015