Rou Hostel Reviews

37B Co Bac, District 1, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Great value hostel, big beds and good security definitely. Only suggestion is maybe to make another bathroom? It seems to get dirty quickly because so many people use it. Good value for booking tours with as well and great food downstairs. Super value I'd happily stay here again

This is by far the worst hostel I stayed at in my year of travelling. Dirty bed sheets. No cover on the duvet. No towels available to rent. Have to walk thru the restaurant to enter. Bathroom is also shared with restaurant. It is filthy and floods. Doors are glass and don't close properly, fun when trying to sleep. Staff are horrible, not helpful at all and speak very little English. Tried to rip us off twice on check out. Breakfast was terrible and a rip off even for $1. Not worth it.

Our two night stay at Rou started with flooded bathrooms which put a sour taste in our mouth. The beds were huge and very comfortable although the overall cleanliness of the room and bathroom was poor. The flooded bathroom was resolved the next day although the power went out in the morning which was a little bit of a hassle. We had an early bus to catch on the last morning and ended up being locked in until we could find someone to open it, great security!

The bathroom was flooded on the first night and we ended up being locked in when we needed to leave and catch a bus. The rooms definitely could have used a good cleaning too.

We got room with mold but I asked to change it and it wasn't a problem. Hostel is ok and facilities are ok. They were very nice -store our baggage and allow us to take shower. The bad thing was in restaurant downstairs. How it is posible that 35000 3500 is 39 000 !?!?!?!? I said about this to waitress but as usually she said "no problem" and brought me less money that she should. Pity that they behave in this way....

Good hostel, showers got a little messy at times, but that probably had more to do with the tenants then the owners. WiFi was unstable, but that's applies to most HCMC hostels anyway. Awesome Aircon.

I am not normally one to complain about hostels, however, I didn't find the atmosphere right about this one. If you are a solo backpacker I would not recommend this hostel. It's a restaurant that has been converted upstairs to a few dorms. It's made entirely out of cement. There is no common room in the hostel so you get to hang out on your bed. And the beds are so tall that they rock and sway whenever you move. Lastly I did spot a cockroach on the wall on my first night. They do clean everyday.

• 12th Sep 2014

The staff was very nice and helpful and the beds were really comfortable! Unfortunately, the rooms were a bit cold in athmosphere - we felt somehow like in a garage. Besides, people from the dorm next door hat to walk through our room to get in there, that sucked a bit. The restaurant downstairs is good, but they guve you drinking water and soy beans without you having requested it and then charge you for that eventually without mentioning it before.

Love the manager here! She was very helpful in a lot of things, especially on food!

Comfortable, clean rooms and friendly staff. Not quite in the backpacker area of the city, but a very short walk away. Best value around and definitely recommended!

Would not stay here again. Staffs English was poor which is fine, but they were fairly impatient when you tried to explain what you meant. No atmosphere whatsoever so not for single backpackers looking to meet people.

Very nice and clean hostel with clean sheets. They tidy up rooms every day. Staff was also friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good (with 3 different choices) and also there is a good vegetarian restaurant. They even prepared breakfast package for us because we left really early in the morning. The only bad thing is that every person gets a nice locker underneath the bed but without a lock (so bring your own!). Also no towels and soap.

Good price ..

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Vietnam

A very fine and cosy hostel. Friendly and helpful staff. Big and comfortable beds in a large dorm. Excellent vegetarian restaurant downstairs. Recommended place for a quiet night.

A very cool little place to stay while in HCM, Nice friendly staff, nice rooms and great location not too far from the main part of the city :)

Overall a nice hostel and they do change the sheets which is good. Staff are friendly and I found booking excursions through them was the cheapest. Only a 10 minute walk from the bars and tourist companies. Bad points: cockroaches in the shower and toilet area, I think they may have a little nest. You have to wait around 5 mins in the morning for them to clear up when u switch on the light. Also cameras in the bedroom and staff keep peering in to the room, thus no privacy. Food is great tho

I guess this is one of those you get what you paid for places. I really liked the decoration of the hostel. I stayed in upstairs room, opposite of the office, and there was no privacy at all. Staff popped in all the time, without any visible reason. There were glass doors, which weren't locked and you could see from the hallway straight to the bedroom. I didn't get very good service either and was hard to deal with staff as they hardly spoke English. Location was fantastic!

Thanks for your opinion. We have covered the glass doors to take more private for our guest and trained all my staffs how to deal with our guests.