Royal Mile Backpackers Reviews

105 High Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Paying so much for a dorm room was a necessary evil in a stupidly expensive city, even more expensive during "Fringe". Hostel was fine though, Aussie girl at reception was really nice and helpful, best thing was the location.

Basic hostel facilities, but fantastic location right on the Royal Mile amongst all the attractions of Edinburgh. Staff are amazing, they were having a staff dinner when I arrived and offered me food and drinks as they had plenty, very friendly and made my stay very comfortable as a solo traveller!

My favorite place to stay in Edinburgh. Friendly, cosy, and can't beat the location. I only rated 4/5 for facilities because if you want to cook (I don't ) you may want a place with a bigger kitchen, and it's a small hostel, without TV lounge or games room or whatever. But who needs that when you're on the Royal Mile? I plan to be back, thanks!

Nice little hostel. Great location and very helpful staff.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Estonia

Thanks for commenting! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we see you again

I stayed here right before the Fringe Festival began and the location was great, close to everything. It was a little hard to find at first, but I was expecting it to be father away from everything than it was. It wasn't fancy or extravagant by any means, but it was comfortable and convenient. There are two outlets per bed and you get a key to a locker with your bed. I would definitely stay there there again.

• 31st Jul 2014

The Staff were great and instantly made us feel welcome, we loved the complimentary tea and coffee. Thanks for a great stay.

• 25th Jul 2014

What more could you want other then all of the free tea and coffee!! :) So happy you felt at home. Come back and stay again soon.

This has to be my favourite hostel in the entire world! The staff were all so lovely and helpful. The rooms were basic but spacious. It wasa 10 bed room but it never felt cramped. The rooms and the bathrooms were always clean. You had your own locker.. And the location is amazing! Honestly the staff and the atmosphere were the best part, it always felt welcoming and there was always someone to talk to. Wish I could stay longer! Will be back if I return to Scotland for sure!

Thank you so much we loved having you :) Having someone around with a friendly face and a smile to make you a cup of tea makes things that little bit more comfy! Please come back and stay any time!! Cheers RMB crew

Good location except quite small. Wifi only works in common areas. Bathrooms/ showers are average but what i expected. Staff are very nice.

Isn't it awesome being so close to everything :) We like to think of small as cosy! Hopefully we see you again soon.

Excellent place to crash while backpacking. An awesome experience meeting people from various cultures. Reminds me of my college days!

• 19th Jul 2014
  • India

We are so glad you had such a good time here with us, Nostalgia is such a beautiful thing! :) Come back and stay again soon.

Very good overall. The bathroom and the kitchen are a little too cramped, but I suppose there is not much the hostel can do about it. Also, the wifi was very poor and not available in my bedroom, which was relatively annoying. Staff was very helpful and smiling.

• 14th Jul 2014

The abundance of smiles from the stuff is probably all of the chocolate we feed them to keep them happy :) Hopefully we will have wifi in all of the rooms soon. Cheers

This hostel is small and cosy, te rooms and staff are great and although the bathros are small they are in pretty good condition and easy to use :) ... The kitchen is dominated by long term stayers so can be a little messy and lacking space also the lounge is small especially when it's only place wifi reaches. If they could get the wifi to extend to rooms would be so much better :) but overall enjoyed my multiple stays here

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. We are glad you enjoyed your stay! We are currently working on getting the wifi in the whole building! Please come back and stay again soon! Cheers RMB crew

Great hostel! Staircase leading up to the front door was a little tough. Everything was really clean, I love how spacious the room was and also the wall outlets right next to every single bed. I love the lockers too - nice touch! Bad: Showers were a little tight! Wifi only in the lobby. Why were there a bunch of wannabe hipsters always monopolizing the couches in the sitting area, who are friends with the people behind the desk???

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

I've stayed at High Street before and enjoyed my visit both times. Its clean and the staff is very helpful and entertaining. There is a small kitchen that you can use for food prep- microwave, hot plate, and fridge. The rooms and girls restroom/shower room were kept clean and tidy. It would be nice to have the Wi-Fi in the rooms as it can be a bit difficult to find a place to perch in the main lounge/kitchen areas at certain times of day.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! We love returning guests. We love having a laugh here at Royal mile so i'm glad we were able to entertain you! :) We are currently working on getting wifi in the whole building. Hopefully we see you again soon!

Very good location and food market is near.

YAY we love being close to food!! It keeps the smiles on our faces!! Thanks for commenting! :) Enjoy your travels

Great atmosphere! Spacious rooms and good facilities. Also extremely central, one of the best hostels I've stayed at.

Wow, thanks so much!! So glad you enjoyed yourself :) come back and see us again soon!

Small rooms and tiny showers but clean. Good kitchen facilities. Lockers are a bit dodgey don't always open or close but I didn't find that a problem. Friendly staff and perfect location for anyone doing a haggis tour the next day!

Thanks for your comment :) We like to think of "small" as "Homey". We have just been working on fitting all of the lockers with new locks. Isn't it awesome being so close to everything :) Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Perfect location, the hostel is small but with all the needed facilities, there are 2 plugs per bed, and this is very good compared to other hostels. The staff is available, they have a collection of Lonely Planet guides available to read and this is great in a place crowded with travellers. Just two toilets and two showers, but it's all right.

Thanks so much, we are always happy to help with what ever we can. All of our guide books hang out together so they don't get lonely ;) hopefully we see you again soon. Cheers

The hostel takes great care for the guests and does its best so they can feel comfortable and at home. Great job. Free tea and coffee and a constant supply of milk is a great idea :)

Well we wouldn't want any one to be deprived of their tea...we live of tea here at the Royal Mile :) so glad we could make you feel at home. Come back and see us again soon!

Location is fantastic! Nice to have lockers too.

Yay lockers are awesome! Its always good to know your belongings are secure! :) hopefully we see you again someday!

I LOVE this hostel. The staff was so nice. There are a lot of people who live there so there's really a feeling of family, but everyone will talk to you and make you feel right at home. I love the free tea; it makes for a lot of kitchen table socializing. S/O to Mel and the staff, you guys are the best!