Royal Mile Backpackers Reviews

105 High Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great location and fantastic staff who are very friendly and help you out with tours and activities.

Took me a while to find as the directions said 'above the oxfam shop' - that shop hasn't been there for months so I was told! Update your details! I was wandering around Edinburgh at midnight trying to find the hostel - but had actually walked past it several times! Luckily, the hostel was a good one. Comfy beds. Breakfast could be bought - but i didnt see anything the next morning laid out like in the photos - there was nothing! Bought breakfast from a cafe instead.

This hostel has an amazing location! We couldn't have asked to be closer to anything, the Edinburgh Castle, the train station, tours, shopping, food & drink. I do wish that it had a free breakfast, the other 3 hostels on our trip had the same assortment of food available but it was included in our rates. The biggest problem was that the wifi was broken during our entire stay. We were told we could use the wifi at the sister hostel across the street which was in their own words " much better"

I always enjoy staying here. It's a small hostel with a friendly vibe. Kitchen facilities are not great but I enjoy the atmosphere too much to complain.

We experienced spots on our sheets when we arrived as well as dirty floors. We were also told numerous times that it was exceptional that a group of 8 was accepted to stay there ... Which made us a little confused due to two things: 1 - why did it have to be mentioned 4 times within the span of 1 hour and 2 - if it was such a big issue - then why were we accepted ...

This hostel was the first one myself and my boyfriend had ever stayed in and it far surpassed our expectations. The staff are lovely and very welcoming and the vibe in general was something we both loved. The public living areas are comfy and full of books, and the kitchen area is quite large and very easy to maneuver regardless of how many people are in there. The beds are super comfortable and clean and the lockers are very secure complete with a safe.

Excellent location with lovely & helpful staff. I definitely will be back again. Get in to the hostel with a green card assigned & needto show to the reception staff everytimes is a bit too much troublesome.

One of the best hostels we have stayed at. I would recommend it to anyone! Great location, friendly staff, and the rooms were fantastic as well. I will definitely be returning!

Really nice hostel, rooms are big enough to spread out in, free lockers for everyone, nice bathrooms, nice breakfast, perfect location for day tours etc starting at Waverley Bridge and rolling suitcases from Waverley Station.

The hostel is located in a really good point of the city! And you have plugs near each bed in your room. The price was kind of expensive, 30 pounds without breakfast.

Paying so much for a dorm room was a necessary evil in a stupidly expensive city, even more expensive during "Fringe". Hostel was fine though, Aussie girl at reception was really nice and helpful, best thing was the location.

Very small hostel with a great environment. Felt like I was at a family's home given how nice and friendly everyone and the staff was. It's right on the Royal Mile so you are a few steps away from the main attractions in Edinburgh. Internet only works in the living room, which is my only complaint. Also, I heard that the management is changing very soon, so I can't say if the environment will be as amazing in the future. Hopefully it will. Really enjoyed staying at Royal Mile.

Basic hostel facilities, but fantastic location right on the Royal Mile amongst all the attractions of Edinburgh. Staff are amazing, they were having a staff dinner when I arrived and offered me food and drinks as they had plenty, very friendly and made my stay very comfortable as a solo traveller!

My favorite place to stay in Edinburgh. Friendly, cosy, and can't beat the location. I only rated 4/5 for facilities because if you want to cook (I don't ) you may want a place with a bigger kitchen, and it's a small hostel, without TV lounge or games room or whatever. But who needs that when you're on the Royal Mile? I plan to be back, thanks!

The royal mile backpackers is in a great location. This hostel is clean and rooms are a good size. Security is good as you get your own lockers. The bathrooms are also cleaned regularly. This hostel is cosy with not many guest which can be nice. However there were a lot of staff who often sat in the small living area where the wifi was, which made it quite awkward as they were a big group kind of family and I felt guest weren't really welcome and we were guests in their home.

Nice little hostel. Great location and very helpful staff.

Thanks for commenting! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we see you again

I stayed here right before the Fringe Festival began and the location was great, close to everything. It was a little hard to find at first, but I was expecting it to be father away from everything than it was. It wasn't fancy or extravagant by any means, but it was comfortable and convenient. There are two outlets per bed and you get a key to a locker with your bed. I would definitely stay there there again.

• 31st Jul 2014

The Staff were great and instantly made us feel welcome, we loved the complimentary tea and coffee. Thanks for a great stay.

• 25th Jul 2014

What more could you want other then all of the free tea and coffee!! :) So happy you felt at home. Come back and stay again soon.

This has to be my favourite hostel in the entire world! The staff were all so lovely and helpful. The rooms were basic but spacious. It wasa 10 bed room but it never felt cramped. The rooms and the bathrooms were always clean. You had your own locker.. And the location is amazing! Honestly the staff and the atmosphere were the best part, it always felt welcoming and there was always someone to talk to. Wish I could stay longer! Will be back if I return to Scotland for sure!

Thank you so much we loved having you :) Having someone around with a friendly face and a smile to make you a cup of tea makes things that little bit more comfy! Please come back and stay any time!! Cheers RMB crew

Good location except quite small. Wifi only works in common areas. Bathrooms/ showers are average but what i expected. Staff are very nice.

Isn't it awesome being so close to everything :) We like to think of small as cosy! Hopefully we see you again soon.