Royal Mile Backpackers Reviews

105 High Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Second stay this year. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, definitely a good stay to chill out, explore and then if you want the bars, you're a stones throw away. Simple check in, clean bed, clean showers and clean toilets. Nice fire place and good atmosphere. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

I loved it here! I would definitely go back and stay for longer! Everything was incredibly clean, and the staff is friendly! They have short termers and long termers which the long termers can be intimidating at first, but if you get out of your shell and go sit on the couch they are awesome people! Also, for how small the place is, it's very homey and quiet! Loved it here

• 31st Mar 2014
  • cveroba

Wow! Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. We try hard to keep the place spotless which can be hard with comings and goings but I guess it's working. Hope to see you again someday!

Great hostel. The living room and kitchen are small.

We prefer to think of 'small' as 'cosy' :)

Had a very nice welcome, the Irish guy in the reception was really cool and funny. Beds were comfortable and even though i booked a 8 bed dorm they had put me in a 4 bed dorm. The window in my dorm was looking right into high street which was really awesome for the view. It did get fairly noisy on the street at night, but you cant really expect anything other from staying in the pub area. Could have had more toilets but overall I was really satisfied and would recommend it! :)

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Estonia

Thank you for your kind comments. The Royal Mile area can be 'atmospheric' at times but its an awesome area of Edinburgh.Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Linens needed to be updated and rooms were not clean. Wifi was only in the small lounge area.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We do offer free wifi in the common areas and we are looking into getting it extended into all rooms. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

This hostel is small but very much like home!! It is very welcome and the people are so amazing!! I would definitely recommend this hostel!!

• 2nd Mar 2014

A wee hostel but with BIG personality! Happy to hear you felt at home, we like to think of it as our home while on the road too :)

I really enjoyed the stay at the Royal Mile Backpackers. The staff is very friendly and living in the hostel felt like beeing part of a big family. Thanks for everything. Ah, by the way, if you want to save money and have a bit time, use bus 35 from and to the airport. A single ticket costs 1.50 (no change!) and the bus stops directly in front of the hostel. But it takes about one houer. The airport exprressbus costs 4 pounds and need approy. 30 minutes.

Thanks for the tip about the bus no: 35! It actually leaves from right outside our door and goes almost every 30min so it's super easy to get here!

Great place, friendly staff and comfy couches around the fireplace.

• 27th Feb 2014

We bribe the staff with chocolate to make sure they are friendly, I'm glad it's working! (just kidding)

Very friendly and helpful staff who greeted us with a huge smile and welcome each time we returned to the hostel. Free tea and coffee for visitors. The kitchen and dining area felt like a relaxed community. Would stay here again!

A return guests is the highest recommendation you can give us, cheers!

The Royal Mile Backpackers was the best hostel I've stayed in thus far. They had a very cozy and welcoming atmosphere - from the upbeat and friendly staff to the nice common area with couches and a fire place. It was a fabulous location as well right on the Royal Mile and easily accessible from anywhere. I honestly can't think of a single complaint except that they don't have an oven in the kitchen. But we didn't even need one so it didn't matter!

Yahooooooooooooo! Best hostel on your trip thus far is a big call! We hope you haven't just started your travels, hee hee! Yeh, it can be annoying not having an oven but your always welcome to go to a sister hostel across the road and use their massive kitchen, as long as you bring back some tasty treats for us too!

Staff is really nice and friendly! Rooms are quite big and we don't have to pay extra tax for lockers. Unlikely another hostels, towels are cheap and they provided soaps when we needed. They have washing service for an affordable price (think it was 4 pounds or something like that to wash and dry). I had a really fun time :)

Yep, we pride ourselves on making sure all guests are squeaky clean and have as much soap as they need :P The laundry is a same day service and is £3.50 to have all your dirty cloths washed, dried, folded and returned with a smile!

I stayed in an 8 bed mixed room and I think the room is perfect. The lounge should be wider to be able to accommodate the guest.

• 14th Feb 2014
  • Philippines

We agree the lounge is a bit tiny when everyone is sitting around chatting but we gotta work with what we have and what better way to make friend then by sharing a chair?!

+ Staff were very friendly + Big room, had plenty of space despite being an 8-bed room + Free lockers with keys + Central location on the Royal Mile - 5-10 minute walk from Waverley Train Station + Nice decor in the room + No curfew - Small bathroom/shower room - Noisy at night (but to be expected in a location like this) - Creaky bunk beds Can't comment on the common area or the kitchen as my friends and I didn't take advantage of them. Would definitely consider staying again.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. We hope to see you again at The Royal Mile. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

You can't beat the location of this hostel. It's right on the main street. The staff was super friendly and nice. The wifi doesn't reach the room, but there are plenty of outlets for you to charge your things in the rooms. They have a sister hostel across the street where you can check out if it's before the front desk opens in RMB, and they had a couple of nights where you could get a burger (or veggie burger) for dinner for cheap which is great for travellers on a budget!

So glad you enjoyed your stay, the plugs at each bed make it super easy to charge up everything you need! And Burger Night on Friday and Sunday is always fun to bring together people from both hostels

The staffs were very nice and helpful. Nice dorm with the creative idea of labeling beds with characters from famous cartoons and works. The only problem is that I have to sleep on a bed right next to the heater and it was crazy hot at night...other than that, it was all cool. Excellent for its price

• 18th Jan 2014
  • China

Hee hee, it's nice to wake up in a bed that has a silly name. Rooms can get very warm with bodies and heaters, always feel free to turn the heater off if you are too hot. Make yourself at home!

Had he sickest time, met some awesome people, very clean and cosy.

Yay for awesome people!

They only have one bathroom in the entire hostel. But there weren't that many people when I went, so it was not a huge problem. The staff are very nice and sociable.

Glad you have fun and didn't run into anyone in the bathrooms, we actually have 2 bathrooms; one for boys and one for girls. But some mornings it is a dance to get to the shower!

really good overall...would appreciate an actually working hair dryer in the bathroom.

• 29th Dec 2013
  • Hong Kong

There are always hair dyers at reception that are FREE to borrow, we even have a hair straightener that you can use!

Royal Mile Backpackers is amazing. Much smaller and more cozy than it's big sister Castle Rock, Royal Mile can boast that it's intimate size is its best feature. The facilities are good and the staff is excellent. I recommend staying for at least a week here. The location is prime for any sort of sight-seeing you could want to do in Edinburgh. It's directly across the street from a great highland tours company. I loved my stay here and I will be returning every time I visit Edinburgh.

We agree, you need at least a week to explore Edinburgh!

Nice hostel that has everything you need. Very close to everything. Staff were fantastic, very nice and helpful. Would definitely recommend staying here!

Thanks for the recommendation! Safe travels!