Royal Mile Backpackers Reviews

105 High Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Facilities limited. Only 2 women's toilets for the whole hostel, only 1 bedroom light, so when someone wanted to go to bed at 10 they turned out the main light and that was it for everyone in the room. communal space = 2 settees in reception/ couple of tables in the kitchen. No proper cooker, just 2 ring hob. Policy to take either passport or driving licence number, but as UK resident not legal req: what if not with you? staff had no answer. key deposit; had to ask for receipt for this!

Hi there, thanks for your review. We're a small hostel so usually our facilities are enough for the number of people staying, especially as everybody is welcome to use the big, well-equipped kitchen and sitting areas of our sister hostel just a minute walk away from us. But occasionally it happens that everybody needs to use the facilities at the same time and nobody fancies popping over across the street. Sorry about that! By law all foreigners have to present a government issued photo ID at check-in, so we ask everybody to make sure that nobody slips through and we get fined - sorry! It also adds to the security for all guests. We never really had anybody asking for a receipt for the key deposit - when you hand the key back you get the deposit out of the matching envelope - so this is probably why the staff was not prepared to issue a receipt. Apologies! Hope you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh!

The room was very warm. I woke up very hot a few times, which is unusual because I am typically much colder than everyone around me (and I NEVER get too hot when I sleep), so I would imagine that the temperature would be even worse for others. The kitchen and sitting area were warm as well, but not as hot as the bedroom.

Hi there, thanks for your nice rating. Sorry your room was too hot for you - the changeable Scottish weather sometimes makes it hard to get the temperature right. Hope you enjoyed your time here in Edinburgh anyway and maybe see you again some time!

We only stayed a night but have to say this hostel was really good! Clem, room were quite a nice size, everything was really clean. I would deff go back!

Hi there, what a nice review - thanks for that! Glad you had a great time here with us and hope to see you again some time!

I really enjoyed! The stuff were super nice, the atmosphere is amazing, really central and near to everything!

Hi there, glad you had such a good time here at our wee hostel. Thanks for the lovely words. Hope to see you again some time!

This was one of my best hostel experiences. The space was very clean and felt like a home, the hostel offered us free tea and coffee (as well as an inexpensive breakfast), plus there were deals available at local restaurants for staying there.

• 9th Jan 2016

Hi there, thanks you for the great review! So happy that you enjoyed your time here with us and looking forward to having you back some time!

Stoves are less just two and one of them is broken!

Hi there, thanks for the review. Sorry that one of the cooking rings was broken - we've got a new one now. Especially when something like that happens we're lucky that we can use all that facilities of our sister hostel just across the street! Hope you enjoyed your stay here anyway!

The location for this hostel was amazing! The staff was friendly and the rooms were spacious. The beds are sturdy (important for bunk beds!) as well. The only downside was the temperature control in the rooms (sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold) and the smell (too many gross shoes in one room so we had to air it out). However, a friendly member of the staff came by and offered plastic bags if we could figure out which shoes smelled. Love this hostel! I would definitely recommend it!

• 4th Jan 2016

Hi there, thanks for the nice words. Sorry about the temperature problem in your room - the Scottish weather sometimes makes it hard to get it right. Glad you still enjoyed your stay with us - maybe see you again some time!

I had a wonderful stay here over New Years. This hostel feels so cosy and homey, the fire was crackling, the tea was flowing and staff were friendly. The dorm rooms are a decent size, the lockers are a tad small but there is enough space under the bottom bunk bed for luggage. Everyone I met, from staff to guests was wonderful. It lacks a little in facilities but you can use the sister hostel across the road. Only complaint is that the bathroom is small. I hope I get to stay here again!

Staff was very helpful and friendly. Good value for the price paid.

• 29th Dec 2015

The hostel was in a great location, bed was comfy and I appreciated getting two pillows. I was staying in a girls dorm and felt uncomfortable about male staff members just walking in unannounced - this happened two days in a row - there were girls staying in the room for religious reasons too so I think this should taken seriously. The bathrooms the newest, one toilet didn't flush well and the showers were a bit hard to use! Would like shelf next to the bed to put room key etc on. Pleasant stay.

• 29th Dec 2015

Great location

• 26th Dec 2015

Hi there, thanks for your lovely review - glad you enjoyed your time here with us! Maybe see you again some time.

A nice place to stay in Edinburgh. Ideally located, on the Royal Mile, walking distance from Waverly railway station. Very friendly staff. Clean rooms & bathrooms. Small but cute lounge. The only downside was the lack of common area space. Kitchen and dining areas were small too and there was no oven, only a microwave oven. We could use the better facilities at High Street Hostel but it was across the road & thus inconvenient. Other than the space, a very nice place to stay.

Everything was perfect. The only issue is that it is in an old building and has old windows. Because of the windows It was a little cold in our room but definitely nothing to worry about. Also noise from the street below, and by street I mean the Royal mile, comes through the windows and can make it hard to sleep. Don't let this little problem stop you from staying here though.The hostel was very good in all other aspects.

Hi there, thanks so much for the lovely review! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us - come back some time!

I felt that the staff were extremely polite throughout my stay. The room temperature was perfect. Some of the guests in my room were very, very loud at wee hours of the morning, though, which was a nuisance while I was trying to sleep.

Hi there, thanks for the nice review. Glad that you enjoyed our wee hostel. It's always a bit of a shame to have inconsiderate guests in your room - sorry to hear you got woken up by that!

Such a cozy, little place and the location was unbeatable. The staff were fantastic, patient and very helpful with all of my wuestions. The beds/bedrooms were very comfortable and clean. There wasn't one moment where i felt insecure with leaving my belongings out around strangers. Absolutely loved this place.

• 29th Nov 2015

Hi there, glad you had a great time here with us. Thanks for the nice review and hope to see you again some time!

very nice hostel in the heart of the royal mile. everything is in walking-distance. the staff was super friendly and I really enjoyed my stay. i already recommended this hostel to a friend and i will definitly stay there again.

• 27th Nov 2015

Very cozy, the fireplace and couches are great and everyone there is super friendly! Super easy to get to from waverley train station and overall extremely easy to stay there. Would stay again!

Hi there, thanks for the great review - glad you enjoyed your time here with us. Come back some time!

I had a lovely 4-night stay and appreciated it very much!

Hi there, thanks for your lovely review - glad you enjoyed your time here in Edinburgh and with us!

The best hostel

The location and staff at the Royal Mile can't be beat! I got to Edinburgh pretty early and they had no proble, with me leaving my luggage and getting a little tea before I got started on visiting the city that day. They were also super helpful in pointing out fun things to do that day and giving me the inside scoop on the best tours and festivals to go to. The only complaint is the sheets/hallway could be freshened up as they had a slight smell to them... however nothing to riun a trip!

Hi there, thanks for the nice review. Come and stay with us again here in Edinburgh!