Russell Scott Backpackers Reviews

47A Well Close Rise, Leeds, Leeds, England

the hostel was generally good, but the bathrooms need a little improvement.

I had a reservation booked to stay at this hostel Sat night. When I arrived around half 7 I could not get in. I then called the number 01132459046 as advised. I spoke to a lady who advised my reservation was cancelled 4 days ago. I never received an e-mail in my inbox or spam to advise same. This lady advised she would look into this and call me back within half an hour. I did not receive a callback. When I did call this number back myself the number rang out repeatedly with nobody answering.

Upon arrival, we learned that the hostel was overbooked. This happened to about 20 other people too. As it was too late to book elsewhere, we slept on the (very dirty) living room floor. And yet- online, the hostel was still promising empty rooms for that same day. When we finally got a room the next day (with many many phonecalls to the owner), we found our bed sheets unwashed, an annoying old lock, the windows could not open (the room smelled terribly), and to top it all off- a broken shower.

I read all the reviews but I had no choice. It's as bad as the reviews say. No key, anyone can pop in your room in the middle of the night, even BOYS in FEMALE DORM, since BOYS get to sleep in FEMALE DORMS. I stayed 3nights, managed to argue my way in after I was told that they didn't have a room for me even though I sent them emails (which they ignored) &tried to ring them to confirm my booking (voice message always full). If you book a room, doesn't mean you have one. Stale cereal

When I first arrived to the hostel I was a bit put off my the unhelpful staff member who checked me in. And I was further disappointed to learn that our room was not going to be given a room key, so there was no security for our luggage. Then when I asked for a map of the city I was told they were out of maps and that they were not going to get anymore.

This place is the worst. The receptionist didn't even know we were coming or that we had a booking. There was noone there in the evening, during the night or in the morning. The kitchen, our bedroom and bathroom were dirty. There was no bathroom tissue and one of two showers was not working. We found dirty towels, clothes and costumes in the drawer. People in other rooms upstairs were smoking inside and knocked on our door at 5 in the morning and wanted us to come outside. Worst experience ever

Do not stay here! I arrived at 8pm to find out that the hostel was overbooked and there was not enough rooms for the me and two other girls who had turned up, this was especially confusing as there was no staff at the hostel. We eventually managed to get hold of manager on phone who was in Sheffield. Who then informed me that there was a mistake and she had been meaning to call me to inform me that there was not enough space. (The managers solution was for me to go book into an actual hotel

• 4th Nov 2015

It was clean and had good ameneties but after we had been shown our room, we asked for a key for it and were told that she didn't know where it was but she would go and look for it. After an hour or so she still hadn't come back so I went to ask for it again and she replied with "I don't know" and gave me a random key to try. This did not fill us with confidence about the security. This key still didn't work and she had to go through a whole box of unlabeled keys to find the right one.

Right, where to begin. First of all, we waited over an hour for check-in because the receptionist (and only person working there) was gone right at the start of check-in time (and didn't apologise). Second, there are two bathrooms (for about 15 people): the first one is as moldy as possible, the second one was broken. There was water leaking the carpet in the corridor. It was noisy. Someone was sleeping on the kitchen floor. Its a fair 10-15min walk from downtown leeds.

We booked for 2 nights and only stayed for one as we were so disappointed with the hostel. We had a lovely greeting and were shown our room with an explanation that the key was not presently available and that it would be put on the inside of the door during the evening. This never happened as the key could not be found. We slept with the door unlocked. The corridor carpet was soaking, some water seeping into our room. The bathroom was mouldy in many places.

• 27th Oct 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Unfortunately they were the only hostel that located in Leeds that is why most of people does not have any choice i guess. Staffs are really polite and helpful for you needs , rooms are cleaned everyday regularly. This is not a perfect hostel but conditions are ok according to these prices , i dont understand the people who are giving less money and make their expectation really high.

Didn't end up staying here. I arrived just after check-in had started, and was informed that my reservation had been cancelled. I was not notified. They offered no reason for cancellation, and the receptionist was not helpful. We ended up staying 5 miles outside of the city, and it cost four times as much to find a place on short notice. The hostel looked run-down and cramped. When I asked about my deposit being refunded, the receptionist shrugged and told me it was "hostelworld's problem".

We have stayed here before but probably won't stay again. the food we bought kept being eaten - no clean cupboards, limited fridge space due who knows how old food. You need a labeling system because ours meant nothing. We asked for flat & bathrooms to be cleaned twice but noone came.Rubbish wasn't taken out or changed often, toilets and kitchen smelt. Table in kitchen broken, limited cutlery and crockery which makes cooking and eating a challenge unless you're a pro with a spoon and blunt knife

• 24th Oct 2015

Our room's window was stuck half-open, I had to sleep with a icy draft in my face during the whole stay (2 nights). There was no milk for breakfast, which is strange since there was mostly cereals. There also was no toilet paper during 1 day and a half. The water in the shower was either scalding or really cold, with no pressure. The lady we met during our check in was really nice, but when we wanted to check out, no one was available, so we had to leave everything as it was.

• 23rd Oct 2015

Dilapidated house, black mold, got given the wrong keys, wasn't told about the new code on the door (apparently the other guests weren't even told the day after the change), someone working there woke us up at 6am for no reason and then disappeared.

The staff are nice. There was a lack of toilet paper. The entire place was dirty, mould everywhere, pots and pans were disgusting, the shower needs a big scrub as there was mould everywhere. The shower obviously leaks as just outside the bathroom is a massive puddle on the floor. All the floor boards squeak & someone will probably fall through the roof at some stage. One of the beds in my room was so old when you sat on it you could feel the bed frame. This place is not value for money!

Perfectly functional hostel, the cheapest place to stay in Leeds.

I got there, and then they told me everything was booked and I could not stay. The internet did not work and they were sending me to a nearby hotel whic by the time was crazy expensive. The french girl in reception was nice though. On top of this, they charged me my booking fee, which i expect it back.

We didn't stay here in the end. Two days before we were due to turn up I rang to confirm and they told me they were going to have to cancel because of 'leaks'. No apology was given and the man on the end of the phone didn't care at all and simply said two days was enough time to find somewhere else to stay. So we had to book a travelodge which at two days notice cost us a fortune. the most annoying bit was how ruse and uncaring the staff were.

• 10th Oct 2015

Cancelled our booking without notification. Staff at hostel were un-interested in explaining or helping in any way. Cost us over £100 to secure safe place to sleep.

• 3rd Oct 2015