SPACE riverhouse hostel Reviews

Minami Okorogawa 2254-7, Nikko, Nikko, Japan

Amazing place! Been backpacking around japan for 6 weeks and this is by far the best hostel I've stayed at, don't let the location scare you! Scout is amazing at dropping you off and picking you up, unbelievable breakfast, great bang for your buck.....highly recommend

Awesome breakfast, Scout goes out of his way to help.

• 11th Oct 2014

I went to Tokyo for work and had a few days off to travel around. I wanted to go somewhere that was close enough to the city and see some temples. So, I decided to do a little backpacking in NIKKO. I was recommended to stay at the Space River House by my local Japanese friends in Tokyo. I went online to check the place out. Now, I have done my fair amount of backpacking in South America and Cuba. When I arrived at the hostel I was blown away. The photos do not do it justice. It's one of the best

• 29th Aug 2014

Scout, thanks for very nice and kind stay at your Nikko riverhouse. It wss very helpfull with the transport and your story tellings about the Nikko and things to see. Very good breakfast.

This place is great. Don't be put off by the location outside of Nikko's town centre - you'll be by a beautiful river where you can swim, and Scout will take you to town and pick you up so you won't have any problems. Great security (big safes are provided), nice atmosphere, very clean, and Scout is a great, friendly and helpful guy. He also cooks AMAZING breakfast and makes sure you never eat the same thing twice! Best place I've stayed in Japan.

The hostel is situated in the Nikko area, and offers a nice place for a relaxed stay. Secret but delicious pizza's, wifi all around, movie nights, morning dives in the river followed by great breakfast, tips on the best hiking around and a "cliff-jump train drop off". Curious? Just check it out. and a small tip: check out the site to get the most out of your stay ;)

We really appreciated the river house as it is located in a very beautiful area. The host is very nice, pick you up to the railway station and drive you to the Nikko world heritage site. He prepared dinner (Japanese pizza delicious!) and good breakfast.The nature is everywhere and you can relax close to the river. it is a nice place to stay and would recommend the hostel to families and people who love nature and simple accommodation.

The stay was the absolute highlights of my family’s trip to Japan. It's located in a building that was previously an onsen and it has a fantastic atmosphere and a spectacular location on the side of a mountain river. Great rooms and a cozy outdoor covered lounge area. The owner, Scout, is very serviceminded and must have superhuman multitasking abilities as he drives guests back and forth, makes amazing food and runs everything. A great experience of staying in the beautiful nature around Nikko.

I really liked the place because its located next to a nice river, and not in a crowded city. I could spend one whole day just playing at the river. the recommendations for my day trips were really helpful, and i was able to visit not only the nikko shrine and temple stuff but also the onsen and beautiful nature... in the evening i enjoyed lying under the warm kotatsu. the breakfast was so delicious, words can't describe that. i liked the tatami rooms and shoji doors, for me it was just perfect

• 4th Jun 2014

scout the owner was keen to make our stay in Nikko memorable. He had much information to share and was happy to drive us to where we needed to go. His love of cooking was reflected in the absolutely brilliant breakfasts and his delicious pizzas for dinner. He even sent us on our way with some delicious cinnamon rolls. The setting beside the river is delightful, such a change from the traffic of Tokyo. A perfect place for groups to stay.