SPACE riverhouse hostel Reviews

Minami Okorogawa 2254-7, Nikko, Nikko, Japan

I've been traveling in japan for 1 month. Out of 11 hostels i stayed in, this one was THE BEST! Scout the host is an amazing guy, and will help you with anything!

Nikko has beautiful nature and shrines. SPACE is clean, spacious, has a warm atmosphere, and is located along a beautiful river. Scout works hard to make sure his guests are taken care of. I would highly recommend to my friends who travel to Nikko!

• 17th Aug 2015

The place is simply awesome! One of the best hostels I have been... it was so relaxing sleep beside the river. Scout (the owner) was very helpful giving us suggestions to let us enjoy the best of Nikko and the trekking trails.

• 12th Aug 2015

Perfect for someone backpacking who wants to hike the mountain. The staff is amazing and they'll help you with anything you might need.

• 12th Aug 2015
  • Portugal

Lovely hostel. Scout is the perfect host, picks you up from/drives you to Nikko daily, provides homecooked breakfast and helps plan some great hiking routes. Great place to come to escape the hustle and bustle of the cities and do some amazing hiking in fantastic surrounding, whilst staying at one of the best hostels I stayed in on my trip around Japan.

We had an AMAZING time here, the location is really magical and the hostel is very comfortable. Scout (who runs the hostel) went out of his way to make us feel at home - the most delicious breakfasts, helpful advice and great company. Will deffo be coming back to space riverside!

We really enjoyed our stay here. Although the location is about 30 min outside of Nikko, the hostel owner 'Scout' offers a free shuttle bus service into town. Scout was very friendly and accommodating. This hostel sits right along side a river which was great for cooling down and going for a swim. This hostel has a very chilled out atmosphere and a nice communal area to sit outside and chat. Scout also cooks up a really tasty breakfast! I highly recommend this place to stay!

Awesome Place to stay. This Hostel is the best one I stayed in since I am here in Japan

The place is great and Scout is great. The best experience I have had at a hostel

Space riverhouse is an amazing hostel. It's that simple. Situated in a beautiful area of Nikko too few see. Have a swim in the river in the morning before the amazing breakfast cooked by Scout and then have your day of adventure, be it hiking in the tranquil surrounds, visiting the world heritage sites or simply enjoying a day by the river. I couldn't recommend this place highly enough. Scout puts in the extra effort to make this hostel a friendly, fun and memorable place.

• 2nd Aug 2015

Some dishes and utensils and maybe a hot plate would have been helpful now that the restaurant is not available for an evening meal

• 31st Jul 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

the restaurant is indeed open down the street, you can hire a bike to get there. sometimes, we even drive guests to it. Also, you can order pizza here at the hostel, just need to know the day before to have fresh vegetables in the kitchen. There is also a BBQ in the lounge for guests to you and dishes on the shelf.

If you want to explore Nikko for its mountains, rivers, and waterfalls, as well as Toshogu, this hostel seems like one of the better places to do so. I really appreciated the chance to relax and hear other travellers' perspectives, which were a fair bit more interesting than usual. Though his humor can be off-color at times, Scout is a very competent and attentive guide and host. The breakfasts that he cooks are splendid and are included in the base rate. Overall, a fantastic place.

Simply a fantastic hostel to really explore and experience Nikko, the host Scout is also hands down the best and most helpful hostel proprietor I have ever come across. This hostel deserves a prize.

If you plan to visit Nikko, don't look for anything else. This is by far the best place in the area ! The location is really amazing, peaceful and surrounded by nature. There are many beautiful hikes to do, and the longer you stay, the more Scout will help you discover new spots. This is also a place where I met the most interesting people in my whole trip. Almost all the guests I met there extended their stay. The atmosphere of this hostel is unique, as its owner. I will definitely come back !

• 26th Jul 2015

Nice hostel with a great location!

It's just a ridiculously good hostel, the best I've ever stayed in.

• 23rd Jul 2015

Such a nice hostel and Scout is a great host. I can't believe he runs the place by himself! Was very sad to leave but glad I managed to get to swim in the river before I left. Great place to relax, have a BBQ or go on hikes in Nikko National Park! Will definitely make the effort to go back if I get the chance.

• 20th Jul 2015

The hostel was extremely well run by a very professional friendly guy. The hostel is in a beautiful location with a wonderful river full of interesting people and the breakfasts were amazing.

• 15th Jul 2015

I had high hopes for this one because I heard about it this place through a friend. Needless to say my expectations were exceeded! Scout is probably one of the nicest and most hospitable people I have ever met! Well worth the trip!

I loved the hostel, the people were really friendly, the owner was really welcoming. My only regret is not staying longer.

• 15th Jul 2015