SPACE riverhouse hostel Reviews

Minami Okorogawa 2254-7, Nikko, Nikko, Japan

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. The location provided the greatest view while eating breakfast. The homemade breakfast was amazing (the scrambled eggs!) and different each morning. The common area was a comfortable place to hang out with the other guests. Also, the transport to and from the hostel was a great perk. We were able to get recommendations for what to do during the day as well. I would definitely stay here again.

• 21st Nov 2015

For travelers: the hostel is quite far from the Nikko station (the best part), so make sure to organise prior and arrive for the three pick up times in the afternoons (or risk waiting or a very expensive taxi). Food can be delivered but still would be good to eat before getting picked up. Very cool friendly atmosphere, we played uno in the large common room, and hiked during day. For staff: I can understand it's annoying when people are late for pickups but a bit of leniency goes a long way.

Absolutely enjoyed my first hostel experience staying at Space Riverhouse. Convenient pickup and drop off service to/from hostel and train/buses. Very clean place with comfortable sleeping and lounge area. The location is remote and peaceful. And wait until you try the breakfast...it's delicious. The owner of this place is knowledgeable about the surrounding sites/hikes and is a helpful resource as well.

• 17th Nov 2015
  • Chile

Scout, the guy who owns and runs this hostel, has done an amazing job wit it. Talk about a one man band - this guy does everything from bus-ing guests, cooking delicious breakfasts, to providing netflix and an awesome hang out space. This was the perfect 3 night get-away for me to meet some interesting new people. and have a jolly good laugh. Must be amazing in the spring or summer when swimming in the river is possible. If you are going to Nikko then this is clearly THE place you need to stay.

• 1st Nov 2015

I had such an excellent stay here, thanks to all the other lovely travelers I met and of course, Scout! He's a badass for running this place on his own and yet, he's able to maintain one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. He goes out of his way to make sure everyone's needs are taken care of and creates such a welcoming community for everyone to be a part of. His breakfasts are also so delicious and the location is phenomenal - peaceful in the woods by the river :)

If you have to come in Nikko it's the best hostel !! The place and scout are amazing !!!

Amazing unique place! For the price, you can't beat the experiences. The architecture of this hostel and the serenity of the location (next to a river) is an adventure in itself. The bathing facilities is like WHOA..I noticed multiple people literally gasped when they saw it. The best thing about this hostel is no snorers are allowed in the mixed dorm, I saw first hand how Scout took this seriously and made sure everyone could have a peaceful sleep. Breakfast is restaurant quality.

Lovely hostel but it would have been nice if we had cutlery in the common kitchen for people to use.

If you have come to Nikko for hiking/nature or chilling out this is the place! It has a beautiful location with a river for swimming in. Scout makes a massive effort with every guest to ensure their stay is great, with a great breakfast and shuttle bus rides to and from Nikko centre. Atmosphere was wicked and there is a communal area outside where you can spend all night without waking up other guests. 10/10!

Easily the best hostel in Nikko, if not Japan! I had such a fab time at Space - the location is absolutely perfect and Scout is such a legend!

Absolutely amazing. Best hostel experience I have had. A little outside Nikko with an amazing location on the river. Distance to tourist areas was no issue as the host, Scout, goes above and beyond to transport every guest with flexible times. He makes the time to sit down with every person who stays to figure out what to see and how to get there. Breakfast was amazing, only wish I could have seen the rest of the secret menu. Deserves to be #1 ! Where you at, Lonely Planet? Feature this place

• 13th Oct 2015

מקום מאוד מיוחד באמצע הטבע. הבעלים של ההוסטל עוזר בכל מה שקשור למפות, טיולים, תחבורה וכו' האווירה מאוד נעימה, אנשים נחמדים, והחדרים והמתחמים המשותפים נקיים ונוחים מאוד. מומלץ

The complimentary breakfast was awesome! The view of the river that Hostel is located on is beautiful. I really enjoyed sitting at the kotatsu with all of the other guests.

• 5th Oct 2015
  • Japan

Scout was an incredible host. He was more than just a guy who ran the place...he was a tour guide, he was at out service, he knew the area which helped with hiking. the hostel itself is in the wilderness around Nikko. The facilities were great for me. It felt was a cabin in the woods. There is wild life, and a river running by it. It was beautiful and worth the time to get out of the downtown area and into nature. I highly recommend this hostel!!

By far the most amazing hostel I've stayed at!! If you ever plan to visit Nikko, stay a couple of nights! Get out of the touristy part of Nikko (train station), and head out to live in the mountains and go for a hike. Scout was amazing and he provides shuttle services and helps plan your treks! Made everything easy and straightforward. THIS hostel should be your choice if you visit Nikko!! Trust me!!

Literally the best hostel in Nikko. It's off the grid and smack dab in the middle of nature. The hostel itself has a salt-of-the-earth homely vibe and is right on the river, which was perfect for morning meditations. Scout cooks a mean breakfast that's hard to beat. I haven't had breakfast that good since my time back in the states. The best part is, your transportation is completely covered by Scout himself. What a rad dude ✌🏼️

I would recommend talking to the innkeeper, Scout, and taking his advice on what to see and do. Nikko is postcard perfect beautiful, a must see in Japan! Also, the breakfasts here are fantastic and included in the price of your night :)

I had the best time at the riverhouse! The breakfast, location, scenery, and info Scout can provide about Nikko let me have one of my favorite trips in Japan. Scout's dedication to the hostel was amazing and was very accommodating to every guest. Definitely get out of touristy Nikko and go on a good hike, followed by a swim in the river! I can't recommend staying here enough and can't wait to go back myself.

• 18th Sep 2015

Probably the most beautiful hostel I've ever been to. Suited for people who like to trek in the area, but will be a great gate away for others as well.

I've been traveling in japan for 1 month. Out of 11 hostels i stayed in, this one was THE BEST! Scout the host is an amazing guy, and will help you with anything!