SPACE riverhouse hostel Reviews

Minami Okorogawa 2254-7, Nikko, Nikko, Japan

Absolutely fantastic in every way, even get free lifts to and from Nikko station as well as awesome free breakfasts every morning!

• 24th Jun 2015

Awesome, unique and atmospheric hostel (former onsen) next to woods and a river. The owner Scout takes care of everything from driving quests to and from Nikko centre to explaining and informing in detail what to see in Nikko area, where to go hiking and so on. Scout's breakfasts were great too. From the dozens and dozens of hostels I've been to SPACE riverhouse is absolutely one of the best, if not the best one, I've ever been to. Highly recommended.

I booked two nights, but ended up staying four nights because it was a great experience and I wanted to see more of Nikko. The hostel is in a cedar forest next to a river that you can swim in, which is perfect after coming back from hiking Mt. Nantai. There was no curfew, no lockout and the free shuttle from the train station was great.

It was amazing to stay in this little paradise! Wonderful location, beautiful rooms, relaxed atmoshpere. The host does everything possible to make his guests benefit at max their stay at his place. We were travelling Japan for two weeks, and this was our last few nights. Would have stayed longer if we could. No worries how to get there because it is not right next to the station.The shuttle system works perfectly, and you wont miss the crowded village a single minute.

• 31st May 2015
  • Switzerland

SPACE riverhouse hostel is a great place to stay. It is perfectly situated by a beautiful river in which you can even go swimming. Besides the UNESCO area there are also many posibilities to go cycling and hiking. Scout has all the right maps and apps so that you easily find your way around. Not to forget he''ll also drive you to the Nikko station and the UNESCO area. The hostel is very nicely done, especially the showers and the outside lounge. All in all the place to stay in Nikkoarea! Ben

• 29th May 2015
  • Switzerland

Amazing place for a stay to hiking around. Free shuttle to Unesco World Herritage in Nikkó.

• 16th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

One of the most welcoming hostels I have ever stayed at, I felt at home the minuet I stepped through the door. Great location by the river, beautiful common areas and very comfortable bed. Breakfast by the river could not be any better. Not walking distance to a station but scout the host is very accommodating at taking you to and from stations or local areas. Once you go you won't want to leave.

We had a great stay at the river house. It really is a good place to relax and enjoy the stay on the riverside. We loved the location, nature and the hike. Scout has been a great host. He has also prepared a delicious breakfast each morning. Hopefully we can come back one day. Thank you for everything Scout! Lineke & Bas

• 29th Apr 2015

I loved the riverhouse and I regret that I had only 2 nights there - would have been great to stay for a few more! The house is built right on the river so the sound of the river is always around you. The living room is a cosy social space with everyone sitting around the kotatsu. Scout's breakfasts and pizzas were excellent and he gave great advice and detailed maps on how to get around Nikko. He also went out of his way to get us to a very early train. Thanks Scout! Seeya next time :)

I definitively enjoyed my stay here. The place has a nice location next to the river, good beds in the dorm and a nice common room where you can meet with your fellow travelers. Scout (the host) makes perfect breakfasts in the morning and then drops all his guests off at the sites they want to be at that day. Scout is very flexible, helpfull and considerate about his guests schedule.

• 28th Mar 2015