SPACE riverhouse hostel Reviews

Minami Okorogawa 2254-7, Nikko, Nikko, Japan

Where to begin? This has been the best hostel I've stayed at while traveling through Japan! The house itself is great. The location is amazing. You're right beside the river, in the middle of nature and the outdoor space is perfect for hanging out. Don't let it's "out of the way" location scare you off. The host offers shuttle services which makes getting to and from the hostel easy. The people I met were top-notch, and we had a great weekend together. I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

• 22nd Nov 2014

the place is amazing. so is Scout.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Had a great time during my stay at the hostel, beautiful and relaxing environment. Getting there was no issue with the pickup and dropoff service. Scout also makes an effort to provide a great breakfast which tasted great and was more than enough. Definitely reccomended!

• 29th Oct 2014

the host is very busy running the hostel alone so be awarw that morning drop off will certainly be delayed during week ends. But he is very nice and friendly and takes a lot of care of his guests. It is only too much work for one person alone.

• 25th Oct 2014

Amazing place! Been backpacking around japan for 6 weeks and this is by far the best hostel I've stayed at, don't let the location scare you! Scout is amazing at dropping you off and picking you up, unbelievable breakfast, great bang for your buck.....highly recommend

Awesome breakfast, Scout goes out of his way to help.

I went to Tokyo for work and had a few days off to travel around. I wanted to go somewhere that was close enough to the city and see some temples. So, I decided to do a little backpacking in NIKKO. I was recommended to stay at the Space River House by my local Japanese friends in Tokyo. I went online to check the place out. Now, I have done my fair amount of backpacking in South America and Cuba. When I arrived at the hostel I was blown away. The photos do not do it justice. It's one of the best

• 29th Aug 2014

Scout, thanks for very nice and kind stay at your Nikko riverhouse. It wss very helpfull with the transport and your story tellings about the Nikko and things to see. Very good breakfast.

This place is great. Don't be put off by the location outside of Nikko's town centre - you'll be by a beautiful river where you can swim, and Scout will take you to town and pick you up so you won't have any problems. Great security (big safes are provided), nice atmosphere, very clean, and Scout is a great, friendly and helpful guy. He also cooks AMAZING breakfast and makes sure you never eat the same thing twice! Best place I've stayed in Japan.

The hostel is situated in the Nikko area, and offers a nice place for a relaxed stay. Secret but delicious pizza's, wifi all around, movie nights, morning dives in the river followed by great breakfast, tips on the best hiking around and a "cliff-jump train drop off". Curious? Just check it out. and a small tip: check out the site to get the most out of your stay ;)

We really appreciated the river house as it is located in a very beautiful area. The host is very nice, pick you up to the railway station and drive you to the Nikko world heritage site. He prepared dinner (Japanese pizza delicious!) and good breakfast.The nature is everywhere and you can relax close to the river. it is a nice place to stay and would recommend the hostel to families and people who love nature and simple accommodation.

The stay was the absolute highlights of my family’s trip to Japan. It's located in a building that was previously an onsen and it has a fantastic atmosphere and a spectacular location on the side of a mountain river. Great rooms and a cozy outdoor covered lounge area. The owner, Scout, is very serviceminded and must have superhuman multitasking abilities as he drives guests back and forth, makes amazing food and runs everything. A great experience of staying in the beautiful nature around Nikko.