Safari Inn Reviews

Band Street, P.O.BOX 21113, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

It was convinient and the people there were really friendly! I had an amazing stay there.

Be very careful when paying for this hostel. The staff tried to charge me $10 more per night. They argued with me until I produced the receipt from Hostelworld showing how much I owed. No doubt they try and con many foreign visitors out of money so make sure you know exactly how much you owe before you arrive. Their taxi service to the airport is very overpriced and can be found much cheaper locally. The area is very unpleasant but only 15 mins from airport. The rooms are very basic but cheap.

The place is ugly but I think that's more just that the whole city is ugly. For a cheap hotel it's what you'd expect. Close to ferry and they store your luggage for you. Though when I came to pick it up the guy at the desk looked at me cluelessly and didn't know about bag storage so he made me panick. I waited an hr for the manager and luckily he had it. Breakfast is gross just toast.

The rooms were very humid, but otherwise everything was great, especially the candy bars in the lobby

• 10th Oct 2014

Decent place to stay for one night with a hot shower. However, wifi was really slow.

Good value for money. The staff helped us giving us directions and also got us the ferry tickets for Zanzibar with no extra charge. No wi-fi but there is one pc with internet in the lobby. Essential rooms for a cheap stay. Recommended.

Good for one or two nights, like while waiting for a ferry. Right in the City Center.

Our room was full of mold, staff was impolite and tried to cheat too much money from us and breakfast was bad.

• 2nd Dec 2013
  • Finland

Love to be in the heart of bustling town like this, great restaurants and chai shops round the corner, Kariakoo markets fantastic, learn some swahili and enjoy!

• 25th Oct 2013

The room is very small and not nearly modern, BUT : Internet access in lobby, hot shower and toilet and self regulated air conditioner in the room, window with good lockers (you can open and close yourself ), toilet paper and soup, not bad bed clothes and towels, small table with the mirror and chair – very good package for this money! In addition: located in the walking distance from Dar Es Salaam Ferry Terminal from Zanzibar ( 15 min), in the quit and safety place (inside the area with gate!).

other then being a little hard to find everything was great! thanks!

• 16th Sep 2013

Friendly peple, very helpful. A good place for budget travellers who start their Tanzania experience. Thank you!

The location is great and the staff very friendly. Thank you!

I was staying in an individual room. It was small, but enough for me. There was a mosquito net in the window, so I had no problems with mosquitos at all. The ac was broken, but the fan was enough to keep the room fresh. The room was clean and the sheets as well. You have the impression everything looks very poor, you just have to get used to that in Dar. It is located in the very center of the city. The neighborhood is poor, so it can impress you if you've never been to Dar before.

• 22nd Aug 2013
  • Spain

Really scary place for a westerner

Can you be specific on what scared you? The hotel is in existance for the last 15years, and enjoys a regular clientele. It would be worth noting your fears.

simple and basic hostel, suitable for backpackers who are not very demanding.

The hostel wasn't good for the price. It is definitively too expensive for the service provided! The breakfast wasn't so good. Moreover, the owners are really unpleasant. I don't recommend this hostel.

• 28th Dec 2012
  • Switzerland

A clean and basic hotel. Ok to get a nights sleep but nothing to write home about.

Stayed in Safari Inn for one night last December before my flight from Julius Nyerere Airport. You get what you pay for. The place is safe, rooms are with private bathroom and shower and the hotel provides mosquito net over your bed. The place doesn't have big "character" and I didn't meet other travellers on my only day there.

Basic facilities and rooms (do not expect anything beyond a bed, fan and bathroom), friendly staff, very good location and excellent value for money.

View all Dar es Salaam Hotels