Safestay York Reviews

Micklegate House, 88 - 90 Micklegate, York, England

It's a beautiful place, an old mansion. Breakfast is very good but paid. There's no wifi in the rooms, only on the ground floor. Computers are good but paid. Our room is on the 3rd floor and there's no lift. Its a very quiet hotel, which is what we were looking for. It's located very close to the centre and the station. The city is so beautiful we overstayed.

The cleanest and most modern hostel I've ever stayed in. Great building with lots of history. Extremely clean. Really nice duvets on the beds and I liked how each individual bed had curtains which you could close all around the bed for privacy. Only negative was that the storage room to leave your luggage during the during before and after you check in was not locked and anyone could walk in and out as they pleased.

• 31st Aug 2015

Wonderful location at the heart of York. A classy hostel concept. Individual bedside lamp and draw curtains for each bed. Was in a 12-bedded dorm and I didn't feel claustrophobic at all. Ensuite bathroom and shower although seems a little insufficient for a 12 person room. No self-catering kitchen, can't even make a cup of tea.

Very cool building, lounge, and location! The rooms themselves totally plain but fine. No closet space but a good bin storage space. All great except the plumbing was pretty noisy and old, which means you get woken up in the night by the sounds. And the breakfast is a rip off, just cereal and dry biscuits for 4 pounds. Better to go to one of the cafes in the area. Otherwise though great staff, great place, super central.

• 17th Aug 2015

Very pleasant

• 15th Aug 2015

Maybe I was unlucky and I got the worst bed in the worst room but it was very noisy at night, there wasn't any curtain to cover the sun in front of my face in the morning and there wasn't hot water when I tried to take a shower. Should I continue? The staff wasn't any friendly or helpful when I noticed this and tried to change my bed.

Not a hostel, more like a hotel, it's huge and not cozy , atmosphere was terrible partially because they close all access to chill areas early and the bar wasn't even in service. Cameras all over the place like a prison. Most of all the staff had attitude and were unhelpful to say the least.

• 14th Aug 2015
  • South Africa

Nice hostel & great location but the nightclub next door makes the whole room shake until 4am on saturdays & the receptionist was shouting in the corridor outside our room at about 2am so isn't great for sleeping.

I stayed in room no. 6 and it was a pleasant stay. Staff was friendly

• 14th Aug 2015

We had a few issues: lots of street noise at night, trouble with the shower overflowing, and insufficient breakfast offerings. Otherwise the room was clean and cute and the staff was friendly. Location is amazing. The rooms have little descriptions of their histories outside the doors with is quirky and cute but be warned, some may find it creepy/spooky.

There is no kitchen, and no internet in the rooms, but the staff was very helpful and its wonderfully located.

stayed in a 4 person room - loved the room. and the curtains on the lower bunk. but the ensuite bathroom was always wet because the shower sprayed out and couldn't be changed (also was either hot or cold - no working in between).

The dorm beds are so comfortable and are surrounded by dark curtains so there is a lot of privacy and it allows you to sleep late and not be woken by the early morning sun. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a lovely bar and eating area however there are no cooking facilities. Breakfast is charged at £4 even though it says on Hostelworld that it is complimentary. You can get a better breakfast for the same price in town. I would stay there again.

• 10th Aug 2015

Would not stay here again. You have to pay for breakfast and they have no kitchen facilities at all, so you can't even make your own breakfast. The ensuites in the room are tiny and you can hear everything from the room. I had a cold shower as I couldn't work out how to do it - I can see from reviews that I'm not the only one so perhaps they should put up some instructions. The staff were rude when we arrived and when we left. Only good thing about this place was the curtains around the beds

common facilities close at night so i would suggest not to do it

We stayed in the only room without an en suite but struggled to find the facilities and use them as they were pretty busy with other people. Also there was no blind

• 8th Aug 2015

This hostel is a "poshtel" - very nice. It is situated next to a nightclub meaning most nights you'll hear a low thump of dance music. I saw tourists complain about this. Take note!

The hostel was really good and the location is cool. Only the mould at the bathroom ceiling was irritating.

The price for the first night was extremely high for a hostel. Very bad WiFi in the rooms.

I thought was clean and I loved the curtain rail on the beds for privacy. I also really enjoyed the plaques outside the rooms that told you about the history of the house.

• 7th Aug 2015