Safestay York Reviews

Micklegate House, 88 - 90 Micklegate, York, England

Its was fun to meet people from all around the World while staying in York. I felt very welcome and supported by the staff on any questions. The under bed lockers were great to store my personal belongings like laptop, camera etc.

• 13th Oct 2014

Brilliant location, great hostel with very friendly and helpful staff, will definitely stay here again!

• 4th Oct 2014

It's a lovely hostel. I chose it only for the location which is pretty close to rail station. It is really a suppress for me when I found it's such a historical building with so many stories! I can see owner spent many time on all kinds of decoration. This hostel is like a picture by different angle. It worth to spent some time to explore.

Everything but the shower was excellent!

• 2nd Oct 2014

The bathrooms were not very convenient, leaking and right next to some beds in the dorms. Also, there is no kitchen or anything to even heat water for tea/coffee.

I stayed in the hostel for one night in a room with 6 beds. From the hostel you can reach the city centre in max. 5 minutes. It's close to the city wall and the train station. The service is good, breakfast is ok. The rooms are very clean, the bathroom is in the wall, kind of a container.

Nicest hostel I've stayed in. Very helpful staff and comfortable rooms. Really liked having an en-suite bathroom! The location is perfect too.

• 16th Sep 2014

Safestay is housed in a beautiful building and the location is close to most things. This is the least hostel like hostel I've ever stayed in though. The common area is a single lounge room with mirrored walls and a TV constantly blaring top 40s music videos. There isn't anywhere to sit, hang out and meet other people. You don't have access to facilities for a simple cup of tea or coffee. The woman at reception refused to refrigerate important medicine and was rude to us and the other staff.

• 11th Sep 2014

Clean hostel in neat building. Helpful front desk staff. I was there for seven days and the internet was working at most 30% of the time. No guest kitchen or even a microwave. Forget about making tea or coffee...except for at breakfast time. No laundry to wash clothes. Hostel is close to the city center and train and bus center.

Located in a beautiful building and very close to the train station and the York Walls. Definitely worth it. The staff was super nice and helpful.

• 8th Sep 2014

Great historical building and great location. It's really close from railway station and not far from the historical city center.

• 4th Sep 2014
  • Belgium

The building is very beautiful and old!! The bed and room was clean and comfortable. We had locker under the bed that was really important for me. The stuff was always nice and helpful. Breakfast was not good in my opinion... I missed real coffee (that probably doesn't exist in UK? ;)) So better drink tea! They have cornflakes or frosties with milk and croissants and marmelade and apples. The location is perfect! :) The toilet was blocked when I arrived and the bathroom is very small.

• 3rd Sep 2014

Everything was OK, but the breakfast could be a little better. Maybe a toaster and some bread wouldn't hurt. Also the locker room where you can leave your luggage before you leave was unlocked and anyone could access it: I think that it should only be opened by the staff of the hostel.

Very clean and tidy. Great price and good location.

• 21st Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Nice place and location. Short walk from railway stn.

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Thailand

Excelllent

• 20th Aug 2014

The facilities are excellent, there was just thing that should be improved: mattresses need to be inspected and some of them have to be changed - I had LUMPS in mine (springs sticking out?) and could not get much sleep as a result.

• 17th Aug 2014
  • Russia

I only stayed one night at Safestay York Hostel, but I thought it was great value for money. I really enjoyed how the hostel was located in an old Victorian building, and they tried to maintain that character. Breakfast was good. Nice location, close to the train station. Very convenient. The only problem I had is that both storage lockers under my bunk were broken, making it impossible to lock. .Luckily I had a flexible bike lock so I could lock it. Didn't feel safe leaving my valuables there.

Thank you for offering this valuable place at an affordable price. I am grateful.

• 16th Aug 2014

Even though it was summer I was very lucky and had a room for 6 all for myself. The place was clean and the building very attractive. I loved all the information about the history of the building. The beds could have been a bit more comfortable but for 2 nights it was very suitable. Thanks!

• 15th Aug 2014