Safestay York Reviews

Micklegate House, 88 - 90 Micklegate, York, England

Heater gave us strange gassy smell when I used it and I feared it was going to explode as it smelt like leaking gas....

The Best.

Good location, rooms were clean and spacious. Each bed had curtains, a lamp, and outlet. Hostel was quiet and cosy.

It was a very satisfyring stay. I only wish there was a kitchen at least to get some hot water for my own tea, but the staff were very helpful with this. The building is full of history and they reflect it in the best way. Thank you.

• 24th Jan 2016

Unbeatable location and excellent value, ideal for a city break on a budget.

• 22nd Jan 2016

Clean Hostel, great staff, a friendly atmosphere, but not a hostel where one would go to party at. Toilets are clean, nice common areas, and kitchen has all the basic necessities, However it would be nice if there was a proper kitchen to use, such as a Toastie machine and a few elements where one can cook their meals if they choose to do so.

A great place. Feels like you are living in a great purple palace. Staff is super friendly, with good tips. The location is great, easy walking distance to the main areas.

The only bad point is that there is no where to leave your food (as a fridge). Apart from that, everything was perfect. I stayed in a 16 room, and the beds even had courtins to give you some privacy. Amazing! Excelent staff, really nice hotel, five minutes walk from the city center, Totally recommend it!

The staff were friendly and helpful when asking for recommendations. The location is excellent, within 5 minutes from the Train and Bus station. I haven't used the breakfast facilities so I can't comment on that.

One of the nicest hostel I have stayed in, it felt more like a hotel. I loved the privacy the curtains offer and the nice space. The only recommendation I could give is having the luggage holders open from both/two sides, so you do not have to pull the entire basket out every time.

We stayed in the basement room, which was very spacious. However, water would leak gradually from the bathroom after the four of us took showers, and made the floor around the bathroom door (and inside the bathroom, of course) quite wet. It wasn't too much of a problem for us, since we only stayed 2 nights.

Great place to stay! Staff were very helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. The only thing we had an issue with was the shower, which took some time to heat up and completely flooded the bathroom floor. Other than that it was a great place to stay!

Everything was good, thank you.

We stayed in a room for 12 people, which is big and cozy. The location is good which is not far away from the city centre, and the building is beautiful inside which has colourful and soft carpet. The things that need to be improved is that the washroom in the room is too small and it is hard to get used to the shower handle. Also, it doesn't have kettle.

The beds are incredible at this place. Curtains give you your own private bed and the mattress is really comfortable. Only one bathroom per 12 people in the dorm and the water doesn't drain quick enough from this makeshift bathroom so the water flows out into the toilet floor area bringing all the funk and miscellaneous hairs with it. Although they clean the bathroom daily, the dirt and hair situation in the bathroom was pretty damn gross. There are no kitchen facilities whatsoever. No microwave

The room was very nice and close to the city centre. But at night there was a very loud noice in our room (number 22) and it wasn´t possible to sleep. The staff told us, that it would be the old pipes and gave us ear plugs. That was a pity, because everything else was very nice.

• 13th Dec 2015

The hostel was really hit and miss: Staff - some were very friendly and some were quite impolite and would often refuse to look at you Cleanliness - the common areas were clean but I am quite sure our ensuite in dorm room 2 was not cleaned for several nights as the same clump of hair was on the floor for my stay's duration. Also my bed sheets stunk. Atmosphere - the layout and furniture of the place was nice but the place didn't have any heart and soul and the atmosphere was very sterile.

Hi Brodie Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. In York we are a friendly bunch and we should not have a problem being polite and pleasant 100% of the time. I have shared your comments with the team. Regarding the bedroom, the bathrooms are cleaned on a daily basis and fresh linen is on the bed for all arrivals. As always I will follow up on your comments. Best wishes for the rest of your travels in the UK. Andrew

Fantastic place. Had a great stay

• 12th Dec 2015

Shower and toilets very dirty / no hot water /plush was not working

• 9th Dec 2015

It is conveniently located, close to the station, pubs, and within walking distance to the city centre. I had the impression that this hostel looks like a boutique hotel, rather than a hostel, which is good. The bed is also clean, comfy, and gives me a lot of privacy. The staff was helpful, and he helped me cancel my booking when I told them I mistakenly chose the wrong dates. I didn't try their breakfast but the dining room looks simple but nice. Too bad their bar doesn't have draft beer tap.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5