Safestay York Reviews

Micklegate House, 88 - 90 Micklegate, York, England

The wifi is only available on the main floor, and wasn't workinf for most of my 2 night stay. But the location is good and the staff is very friendly!

Really nice hostel that's run in a very professional way. Location excellent and cleaned to a high standard.

Great value for money, would recommend for others :D

a bit chilly, but then it is a 300 year old house

The hostel incredible, the building really impressive and rooms beautiful. The staff were very helpful well. The toilet in the room, nevertheless, was added to it, like a chemical toilet.

good environmet

It was very cold in the whole hostel during the first night - it seems that the heating wasn't working...

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

everything is good!! Basic breakfast was provided. The only thing is the kitchen missing!

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Hong Kong

It was a bit cold in my room because there was no heater. But when I took a second blanket, it was okay. The bathroom was small but clean and it had everything that you need. As there were renovating the floor and the carpets, it was a bit of an adventure race to get into the third floor.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Very friendly staff and clean rooms. Value for money.

A nice place for everything but sleeping. The beds were crazy uncomfortable and the comforters super short!

Was charged £20 for the toilet door which wouldn't close so we locked it from outside with a coin as it is un hygienic when someone has a poop,it wouldn't re-open with the coin as catch was previously bent,still wasn't fixed after been charged.hope no1 ever takes a fit in there as it still doesn't open from outside.feeling robbed and theres definitely a health and safety issue with this. Just wonder how many £20 pounds have been took off visitors in past,if only the door closed as it shud room 7

• 21st Nov 2014

Sadly I had but one day and night in York. I found the night I spent at Safestay to be a pleasant (but all too brief) experience. Thank you!

The booking process is misleading and is expensive for hostel accommodation, the reception staff were either over the top or miserable, no compensation was offered for the state of the building currently in refurbishment. If you stay here bring ear plugs it's behind a night club which thumps music out till 3am, staff let themselves in our locked dorm without prior agreement, there was no heating. On a positive breakfast was great and it was clean and mattresses new

• 8th Nov 2014

Seriously guys, 26 pounds per night for a 14 beds room with ONLY one microscopic bathroom?!?!

Loved this hostel. It's in old victorian building, very clean, in the city centre. Staff is brilliant - Andrea and Greg were helpful and friendly. The only downside is refurbishing taking place now so I couldn't use bar or kitchen. Next time :)

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Poland

I have no doubt that this will be a great hostel, but unfortunately upon my arrival I was blind sided by the fact that it was under renovations. The advertised facilities were not all operational and the owner would not bend some of the rules like using the breakfast room for internet etc. That being said, it was one of the cleanest hostels I've used, the staff was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Would definitely stay here again...once it is finished.

Great location, adequate facilities, although they were doing renovations which were a bit disruptive. The only problem was how loud it was, very late into the night, and people weren't very considerate of others. While it wasn't a bad stay, I wouldn't visit again.

• 1st Nov 2014

brilliant value for money. we stayed in the double ensuite room and it was better than most hotels ive stayed in!! would definatly use again

• 1st Nov 2014

I went to this hostel off season because it was central and I had a job interview in the city centre the next morning. The location was great and it was very easy to get to. However, there is some sort of ongoing complaint about a night club in the near vicinity which I knew nothing about until I went to go to bed and did not sleep all night. I went down to complain and the staff member on night reception was extremely unapologetic and refused to move me, despite the fact I had an interview.

• 29th Oct 2014