Safestay York Reviews

Micklegate House, 88 - 90 Micklegate, York, England

everything is good!! Basic breakfast was provided. The only thing is the kitchen missing!

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Hong Kong

It was a bit cold in my room because there was no heater. But when I took a second blanket, it was okay. The bathroom was small but clean and it had everything that you need. As there were renovating the floor and the carpets, it was a bit of an adventure race to get into the third floor.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Very friendly staff and clean rooms. Value for money.

A nice place for everything but sleeping. The beds were crazy uncomfortable and the comforters super short!

Was charged £20 for the toilet door which wouldn't close so we locked it from outside with a coin as it is un hygienic when someone has a poop,it wouldn't re-open with the coin as catch was previously bent,still wasn't fixed after been charged.hope no1 ever takes a fit in there as it still doesn't open from outside.feeling robbed and theres definitely a health and safety issue with this. Just wonder how many £20 pounds have been took off visitors in past,if only the door closed as it shud room 7

• 21st Nov 2014

Sadly I had but one day and night in York. I found the night I spent at Safestay to be a pleasant (but all too brief) experience. Thank you!

The booking process is misleading and is expensive for hostel accommodation, the reception staff were either over the top or miserable, no compensation was offered for the state of the building currently in refurbishment. If you stay here bring ear plugs it's behind a night club which thumps music out till 3am, staff let themselves in our locked dorm without prior agreement, there was no heating. On a positive breakfast was great and it was clean and mattresses new

• 8th Nov 2014

Seriously guys, 26 pounds per night for a 14 beds room with ONLY one microscopic bathroom?!?!

Loved this hostel. It's in old victorian building, very clean, in the city centre. Staff is brilliant - Andrea and Greg were helpful and friendly. The only downside is refurbishing taking place now so I couldn't use bar or kitchen. Next time :)

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Poland

I have no doubt that this will be a great hostel, but unfortunately upon my arrival I was blind sided by the fact that it was under renovations. The advertised facilities were not all operational and the owner would not bend some of the rules like using the breakfast room for internet etc. That being said, it was one of the cleanest hostels I've used, the staff was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Would definitely stay here again...once it is finished.

Great location, adequate facilities, although they were doing renovations which were a bit disruptive. The only problem was how loud it was, very late into the night, and people weren't very considerate of others. While it wasn't a bad stay, I wouldn't visit again.

• 1st Nov 2014

brilliant value for money. we stayed in the double ensuite room and it was better than most hotels ive stayed in!! would definatly use again

• 1st Nov 2014

I went to this hostel off season because it was central and I had a job interview in the city centre the next morning. The location was great and it was very easy to get to. However, there is some sort of ongoing complaint about a night club in the near vicinity which I knew nothing about until I went to go to bed and did not sleep all night. I went down to complain and the staff member on night reception was extremely unapologetic and refused to move me, despite the fact I had an interview.

• 29th Oct 2014

Really helpful and nice staff. Luigi received us on our arrival and gave us the good vibe we had for the next days. The hostel itself is beautiful and will be even more after the refurbishment they are doing now.

• 26th Oct 2014
  • Portugal

I know we were warned about the noise as it is a saturday on a busy street, but the noise level really is unacceptable until very late. It isn't just music, it is deep thudding bass that is very difficult to sleep through. It is a shame as the rest of your hostel is very nice. I think you could do with investing in some soundproofing. As you have quite an early breakfast / check out time, we did not get a lot of sleep.

• 25th Oct 2014

Very pretty building and nice staff. Recommended

I paid £32.00 for a bed in a 4bed dorm and I really feel like I was ripped off and even considered asking for my money back. This is more of a hotel than hostel since the building is very big and beautiful but there are not the necessary facilities for dorms (one shower/toilet for the entire floor, good luck getting to pee in the morning). My room was a closet (!) with only a skylight as a window and the emergency light kept me awake all night. I do not recommend this venue.

This seems to be a party hostel, don't stay there if you want to have a good sleep. Disturbing pubs in the area.

Just stayed here for a girls weekend would definitely go back. The staff were very friendly and helpful, had a meal and the food was lovely good value for money.

• 18th Oct 2014

Its was fun to meet people from all around the World while staying in York. I felt very welcome and supported by the staff on any questions. The under bed lockers were great to store my personal belongings like laptop, camera etc.

• 13th Oct 2014