Sagando Hostel Reviews

Michamvi Kae, Zanzibar, Tanzania

Beautiful huts, brilliant location, very helpful, fun and friendly staff

• 21st Jan 2016

We booked a double room with Sagando Hostel but they put us in a single room in an attic. The sloped ceiling was so low we were hitting our heads on the roof & so was the fan. The mosquito net also had large holes, the water worked half the time & there was no light in the bathroom so we asked to change rooms. They didn't have another room, admitted that our room was supposed to be a single and not a double and gave us a considerable discount. The owner is nice but I wouldn't stay there again.

Great food!

• 30th Dec 2015
  • Greece

a very nice relaxed place. Very convenient to hang out in the Hostel-Area/Garden. Beach is less than 5 minutes away.

Good value. Very close to the beach. Good food from the restaurant. Staff is so friendly. Rooms are spacious and clean. It is far from anything though. If you need anything (like snacks or cash) bring it from Stone Town or Dar. This place is remote. There is a fancier resort next door where you can get a drink ($10 bill minimum for non-guests) and watch the sun set. Atmosphere was pretty good, there are multiple hammocks and a nightly bonfire. If you want remote paradise at a good price, this.

Very nice place! Wonderful beach and the master is so friendly , juice is delicious!

• 9th Oct 2015
  • Taiwan

We miss you! Greets Wilke and Florence

• 11th Sep 2015

The kitchen seems to be too small for the amount of guests, you should try to make it bigger so that the cooking goes faster .

• 7th Aug 2015
  • Sweden

All the staff were amazing & so welcoming! The hostel is beautiful. It is far from stone town but super close to the beach (the beach was never busy). They offered a lot of different activites. The food was amazing as well

• 10th Jul 2015

Stayed in a cottage upstairs which looks great until you need to sleep - it was incredibly hot. There is nice food available but it takes forever to come out and isn't cheap. Unfortunately no beach frontage so you have to walk through scrub to get there. Great to have access for a US$10 min spend to the resort 30m down the road. Very quiet at night when we were there.

Great place, the beach is amazing, exactly what you would expect from Zanzibar. Although the place is cheap, food, drinks and activities are a bit overpriced for hostel standards. A taxi ride from Stone Town should not be more than 40'000 shillings.

We loved everything over there! Sagando was excellent, we were just a little worried about when a few local guys moved in there with their own tent. It made it look a bit dodgy. Overall, Sagando was absolutely fantastic, clean, hot water and working toilet. It was definitely value for the money and genuinely we recommend it to any travellers in all age groups. Beautiful, detailed deco and great entertainment! We will go back! Warren and Terella

• 14th Dec 2014
  • Malaysia
  • Couple, 41+

Staying at Sagando Hostel was a wonderful experience-full of delicious food, happy people, + good vibes. The environment is relaxing, the staff members are friendly, and the accommodations are well-kept. The hammocks are nice to lounge around in during the day and the hostel is a short walk from the ocean. When one of my friends and I became sick from dehydration, the employees prepared us a traditional tea remedy made from a root they dug up specifically for us...AWESOME customer service :)

• 11th Dec 2014

I could not have chosen a better hostel than Sagando. Perfect location,great staff and amazing atmosphere. I felt really welcome and enjoyed every day of my stay. One of the guys showed me around the area and we visited the mangroves and the cave on the other side of the island.There waren't many people on holiday in november so I usually had the whole beach to myself. I really felt like being in heaven. The beaches are insanely white and the water is as blue and clear as it can get. Recomended!

• 3rd Nov 2014

I cannot say enough about this place, we were welcomed after a hot bus ride with a cool glass of fruit juice and a smile. The accommodation and facilities are amazing, the food is out of this world. 5 mins from the most perfect beach ever. Special thanks goes to the staff for taking us to the bus stop as it started raining when we were leaving. I will definitely be back as this place has become one of my favourite places to stay, thank you for everything Sagando, Jah Bless!

• 25th Oct 2014

The place to be for a good price and end of a great backpacking journey coming from cape town this was paradise

We had a good time at Sagando. We really liked the rooms. Staff were very helpful. We had a problem with a scooter we hired in Stone Town and they were helpful in sorting it out.

• 17th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

Great location, good food and friendly staff. If you're interested in quiet, beautiful beaches and the east coast's only sunsets, Sagando has got to be the best bang for your buck. But it is not without issue. We shared our room (#6) with a lively rat that made sounds all night, climbed all over our shelves, ate our food and left droppings all over one corner. Also, there is no furniture, and the bathroom is simply a toilet behind a partial wall, so if you're a couple, bring headphones...

• 3rd Oct 2014

Cool little place with nice staff and great rates for couples. We had our own bungalow for a great price plus the food here was delicious.

I have officially found my heaven on earth. This place is the cats pajamas. The rooms are awesome little unique beach banda things with awesome bathrooms (you get your own, say whaaat). They are constantly building recycled stuff, like canoe bookshelves. The food is AWESOME i literally made them teach me how to cook their food. And the whole thing is run by an awesome group of rastas who live above the bar commune style running the place. Plus kittens and puppies. I can't wait to go back!

• 23rd Jul 2014