Saint James Backpackers Reviews

21 Longridge Road, London, England

My plane crashed in Fiji delaying my arrival so I had to pay for a night I didn't use. Not much compassion shown there! However the one night I stayed was very enjoyable. Showers are tiny but plenty of hot water. The kitchen was clean. The other guests were a great mix of different ages and cultures. Only weird thing were the very squeaky bunks in the dorm. When ever someone rolled over we'd all use the moment to roll over too while the silence was broken.

Not a super social environment, decent facilities but as with London it is overpriced...

The place is pretty alright though the facilities are slightly aged. The bathroom I used has its drainage clogged and the water temperature settings were wonky. The staff are friendly enough as well as the other residents at the time. Location to Earl's Court station makes travelling to Heathrow relatively straightforward.

Great atmosphere. Lots of people staying who'd been staying/living there for a long time - they were welcoming. Big room to watch tv, staff ready to help 24/7, self serving kitchen, individual lockers & complimentary breakfast. The issues are that there are loads of stairs, the beds make a lot of noise, and the biggest is that the smell of mould in the bathrooms makes you want to die! Location is great - very near Earl's Court station. Nice area. Only a few stops to main attractions on the tube

5 minutes walking from Earl courts, the hostel is situated in a very good position. Staff is gentle and very helpful, but you have to leave a deposit for EVERYTHING, that means I left London with 20 useless £ in my pockets. My atmosphere is nice but almost everything is around a big TV, that is not the most exiting thing.

• 5th May 2015

Beds were the worst-no point in the pillow. Unbelievably creaky so every move someone made in the dorms, the beds would creak very loudly. Not a place for a good nights sleep at all. Saw people cleaning the bathrooms but found them not that clean still. Bathrooms so tiny you rub against the toilet just to get out the door. Grubby kitchen. People in dorm beds eating food on the bed-not good. Should be a rule against this.

Hello and thank you for taking time to write us a review. We are a backpacker hostel offering cheap accommodations and good standard comfort still. The basics are there as a hostel to welcome you and insure you have the comfort needed. No hotel pretentions, we are a value for backpackers and families as we offer communal areas and a big kitchen for the guests to cook their meals :)

everything is nice except the walls is not available to deaden the noise from the corridor.

Hello and thank you for writing us a review! We are sorry about the noise and hope you could still enjoy the hostel. We are a big hostel with tourist and backpackers catching early or late flights, Still we apply a silent policy after 11pm!

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The hostel had an excellent location and felt relatively secure, due to the availability of lockboxes in the room. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to other travelers.

Thank you for your nice review! Be sure our kind words will be forwarded to our team. You're always welcome at St James ;) All the best and take care!

The sleeping areas were nice, the atmosphere in the kitchen and dining area was really friendly, and the TV area was really cool! And the wifi worked excellently

• 4th Apr 2015

Hello and thank you for your review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and had a great time. Don't hesitate to come say hi next time you are in London ;)

A very lively, atmosphere. Staff was very helpful and accommodating, for the most part.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Barbados

Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to know that you staying with us was good! We hope that you enjoyed London as well. See you soon!x

You need a code to enter the building and there is always someone sitting at the desk so I never felt insecure. In addition, they provide a lock box and key that was big enough for my backpack (normal size, not a travelers backpack) and belongings. It is located several blocks from the Kings Cross tube station (less than a 5 minute walk) and on the street that runs perpendicular there are many restaurantes and cafes.. The staff were helpful and even contacted a cab for me!

Hi Claudia! Thank you for your awesome review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay :) be sure to pop at reception to say hello anytime your are back in London! All the best ;)

They location was really excellent - so close to the tube station, and with a Sainsbury's on the corner, it was perfect. The staff were lovely and cheerful, and the communal areas were nice and welcoming. The showers were a little dirty on occasion, but I think it was more to do with the volume of people using them, rather than the cleaning!

Thank you for this lovely review! We are glad that you enjoy the time with us, sorry to hear about the showers but we always striving to deliver the best services to our guest! We really hope to welcome you again in our Hostel!:D

Nice house clean,One Big living area. there have tv and computer .but the room is small so you have no where to sit .or you can do anything on your bed:)

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Hong Kong

Thank you for your review, we are happy to welcome you and that you enjoyed your stay with us :) The size of our rooms and number of beds is determined to answer the high demand, also we are a family run Backpacker hostel , our accommodations are basic but the atmosphere is there ;)

Awesome place to stay, has a good vibe to it

• 1st Mar 2015

Thank you for your words! Its a pleasure to welcome guests and travellers as well as sharing the good atmosphere at St James!

Hygiene is very bad, for example there is no any garbage bin in the room with sinks. Breakfast is especially bad and with poor hygiene standards - in a bacon I noticed remains of a paper...

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Hungary

Hello thank you for taking time to write a review about our hostel. We have bins in every rooms as well as they are emptied everyday during your stay. We offer a home-made English Breakfast and we are sorry if it doesn't reach your expectations. Also note we are a backpackers hostel offering accommodations at good standards :)

St. James hostel is very good at customer service from helping to organize a taxi to providing games for the residents. The location is also very convenient as it is a 5 minute walk from a main Underground Station. My only critique for St. James is that I have had equal or better accommodations at other hostels for cheaper. Key's were extra, breakfast was extra, etc. The accommodations were good, just expensive. Over all, St. James was a positive experience.

Hello and thank you for your comments! We are happy you enjoy your stay with us. We take in consideration your critique about the price, which is determined in function of our availabilities but also season as well as our Location: Earls Court. For the key we ask a deposit which is a SECURITY deposit. We welcome a big amount of travellers we like to keep the property safe and make people aware of it. FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST is £5....PS4,MOVIES,BOARD GAMES AND GUITAR are free of charge :)

Very clean, I always saw someone cleaning up the restrooms. The shower stalls are super tiny but it was fine since I was only in London for the weekend. It's only a 5 minute walk from Earl's Court Station, which is really nice since it's in Zone 1 and a majority of trains pass through there. All in all it was a good deal for the money, good location, and a very sociable atmosphere. There was even a free pub crawl.

• 26th Feb 2015

Many thanks for taking the time to write us an awesome review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. See you next time you're in the city!! Lots of love from Saint James Backpackers Hostel!

While booking through hostel world, I had selected a check in time of 9am but on arrival I was told I could not check in until 3pm. Even then, I was left almost asleep at their dining table until 3.15pm before I was checked in. As I'd travelled to london very early, I was exhausted. During my stay the staff also seemed more interested in their full time guests other than their weekend / short stay guests. Occupied rooms were left unlocked while some beds in shared rooms were being changed.

• 20th Feb 2015

Sorry our hostel didn't reach your expectations. Our policy allows new guests into the rooms only after 3pm. Our long term guests make all the sphere at the hostel and our live-in staff is at your service 24/7 to advise you, help you to get around London as well as cleaning the rooms for you everyday between 10am and 3pm so you may feel at home and comfy ;) While cleaning the rooms, the cleaners close the door after them always, but they need well to transfer the sheets and products

Nice TV and PS4 with FIFA. It would be fantastic with some more controllers, so more than 2 people can play at a time. Staff was not very nice.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • Denmark

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We will take in consideration your suggestion for the controllers! Sorry to hear that the staff didn't reach your expectation. We are constantly striving to improve our services, being helpful as much as possible! Thanks again for your stay.

Very kind staff. Nice hotel. Absolutely good opinion about it

• 13th Feb 2015
  • Spain

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience at Saint James Backpackers Hostel! It is always a pleasure for us to make sure our guests are having a good time in London. We will be glad to welcome you again!