Saint James Backpackers Reviews

21 Longridge Road, London, England

Terrible stay! We booked 3 beds in a female dorm and ended up being separated between two rooms. We were given sheets to make our own bed, and my lock-box was already taken by someone else but my key opened it (poor security measures at their finest). The bathrooms were small, cramped, not very clean and smelled bad, and were mixed-gender. Staff were not friendly. At checkout, the front desk girl gave me my deposit in silence and mentioned nothing of my stay or to have a nice day.

• 6th Feb 2016
  • Slovenia

Really relaxed atmosphere and great facilities. Comfortable living area. Friendly staff (James) who showed me around the hostel when I checked in. Enjoyed watching movies on the huge TV. Well located to the Underground. Would recommend to other travellers.

An enjoyable stay. Will come back here if I am ever in London again.

Chilled out hostel with a comfortable common area. TV has Netflix for on demand movie viewings, kitchen was well equipped and showers had constant hot water. There was a patio at the back. They provided hot chocolate and cookies at night, which was a nice touch, and added to the atmosphere. Close to the tube (Piccadilly Line). I would stay here again.

While the location was easy for London and my conference, I was surprised by the room! The "deluxe double" was a small double bed, whose mattress had springs pushing through-- no bed pad under sheet and dirt and dust all around edge of bed frame. The "en suite" bathroom was a small modular shower/toilet combination, with no room to move in the shower because of the proximity of the toilet (I have pictures if you wish!). The smokers outside my room were loud and smoke permeated the room. :(

• 21st Jan 2016

Stayed here for a weekend away in London. The staff were really helpful when checking in. The rooms were clean as were the bathrooms. Close to Euston train station and there was a Sainsburys just around the corner.

• 16th Jan 2016

Excellent location to travel about London being only a five minute walk to the tube station. Staff are always helpful and friendly. Beds are a bit old and creaky and the hostel could use laundry facilities but overall a really good Hostel to stay in.

• 2nd Jan 2016
  • greensi

I really liked the back patio area. I would imagine that, during warmer weather, that would be an ideal place to hang out when its too nice to be indoors. In all honesty, however, I really didn't spend much time at this hostel (around 12 or 13 hours from check in to check out), so I can't really give much of a review of the hostel itself.

This hostel impressed me as friendly and generous due to the well-equipped lounge - computer, wifi, netflix, books etc. free of use. Also free coffee and tea. The dorms gave a little "drunk tank"-feeling with rubber-coated mattresses and squeeky steel bunk beds. But the whole place is nice and clean and gives good value of money.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Sweden

Hostel was quiet and well located to railway station shops etc .atmosphere friendly . Kitchen is way too small for the size of the place. Bathrooms need a makeover Cubicles are wash with water , not enough hooks to hang your stuff.

A great hostel for London! The staff was very accomodating and always present! The breakfast is better than in most places! The showers are a bit tiny and there are not so many of them but, for the price, who can complain? I did encounter some guys that seemed to be homeless, though, but they were very nice and polite and so I didn't mind it that much. The lockers in the rooms, under the beds, are a must and I would update them!

There is no locker room to luggage, although we pay extra to leave it on the reception, quite unattended. The bathroom could be cleaner and better maintained. The (not included) Breakfast doesn't worth. The instruments of the kitchen are very limited and it could be better maintained.

A clean, modern hostel located 5 minutes from the Earls Court Tube. Has free wifi, large TV for watching movies. Showers were always hot. Kitchen is well equipped. There is a courtyard at the back and staff were friendly. Recommended.

Dear Stu Borggren, We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for giving us a perfect rating and for recommending our hotel to other travellers’. I'm sure our entire hostel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay. Be assured your nice words have been shared with the entire team. See you next time you're in the city!! Lots of love from Saint James Backpackers Hostel!

Lots of stairs- hard to carry large bags/suitcases up them Bathrooms could use some updating/there could be more of them/they could be bigger Rooms were nice, clean, basic. Shelving in the room was appreciated.

• 3rd Dec 2015

Great location, but some rooms are very unclean. Also, gentleman at front desk is very rude to other staff members and guests

Dear Samuel Millsom, Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience at Saint James Backpackers Hostel! We apologize if a few details didn't reach your expectations, but we took your comments on board. Also you are always welcome to back when you pass by London. We will be glad to welcome you again!

Reception girls the rudest most uneducated people I have come across. The only girl with any hospitality skills was the Finish girl, she knew how to treat guests. There is this middle aged Italian man that lives there that thinks he is some sort boss there Luigi or loui i dont know. Bit of a busy body! The manager guy seemed cool. But think they should hire some actual English people. Way to many Long term stayers. Has the potential to be a really good Hostel.

Location and staff were pretty good, however I wouldn't recommend a stay here. It's not very clean, the showers are very hard to work and very very small-there is nowhere to put your stuff in the cubicle except for the floor which is covered with hair. The towels cost £3 just to rent, and they are threadbare. There was an awful smell emanating from the toilets and showers at all times. There are also clearly a bunch of permanent lodgers. Really needs a good deep clean and revamp.

(**BE ADVISED: This hostel exchanges discounts for good feedback. Bear in mind when reading reviews.) - No lockers in rooms; no secure short-term luggage storage - Many stairs, lack of elevator - 3% fee for using credit card. (Yes, all businesses in the UK get charged 3% when performing a CC transaction, but this was the first time I experienced a hostel "passing the buck" to their customers.) - Creaky beds Plus side: - Large lounge TV - Near subway & stores I don't plan on staying again.

There are many supermarkets nearby for excellent quality food and drink at cheap prices. Proximity to the metro and night buses is also brilliant. The staff were friendly as were the long-stay visitors. Another fridge would be handy-perhaps positioned were the water heater is outside the kitchen?! Would definitely stay there again.

• 26th Nov 2015
  • Northern Ireland

Really good hostel! Think it has the potential to be even better if they had fewer long term stayers, BUT I UNDERSTAND ITS A BUSINESS and they need to keep money coming in but this can always dampen the atmosphere of as place . I think this hostel could be one of the best in London if it tweaked a few things! Staff good, friendly and attentive. REALLY REALLY CLEAN. Beds good. 3 min walk from station. Good cooking facilities. Great outside space which would be amazing in the summer. Recommend!

Dear James Taylor, We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for giving us a perfect rating and for recommending our hotel to other travellers’. I'm sure our entire hostel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay. Be assured your nice words have been shared with the entire team. See you next time you're in the city!! Lots of love from Saint James Backpackers Hostel!

« first « Prev 1 2 3