Saint James Backpackers Reviews

21 Longridge Road, London, England

Bring the ear plugs, because the building is old, the doors are squeaking and you can hear everything. Nice and helpful staff. Great location!

It was a very easygoing youth hostel which is what everyone loves in accommodation. Our rooms were nice but more privacy would be lovely in the rooms like curtains across the bunk beds and maybe a chair and a small table by the window for those who wish to sit down who are on top bunks. Also, I understand it's not something that can be easily changed but I haven't seen one person yet who can actually get out of the shower rooms without a hassle, they're too tiny to move around in!

• 16th Jun 2014

Nice hostel for one night! It was the first hostel I've been to that charged for luggage storage but they also provided towels for free so I guess it balances out. I also found it odd that the "luggage storage" was simply leaving it in the front room rather than a locked closet or room, especially because the bags were often left unattended.

• 14th Jun 2014

I thought this hostel was absolutely wonderful, the accommodations were some of the best I have seen in Europe and everything was spotless. The vibe in the place was friendly and a lot of fun with the living room area packed for the world cup games. The two stoves in the kitchen make it easy to cook dinner or breakfast with everyone else bustling about. Minus the train closures on the district and circle lines it was an excellent place to stay and would do it again!!

I would stay there again and thought it was a nice place. However I think they need to create a better system for washing the dishes. I saw guest quickly rinsing their silverware and putting them in the drying rack. It was not clear to me whether these were going to get thoroughly washed by the hostel employees or if they than would be used again before thoroughly washing them.

The hostel is in a great location, the staff are helpful and friendly. Not enough toilets and bathrooms. They're also very tiny and located far from the rooms. I was on level 3 and the toilets were 2 flights down which is quite inconvenient. I stayed there for 4 nights, the bin in the room wasn't emptied even once. Plus it was tiny so rubbish was overflowing. The beds were the worst I've slept on in any hostel. They creaked as soon as you sat on them or even turned,and had a dent in the middle.

Half the staff was very friendly, and the other half couldn't care less. Basically, the second half would tell you to go off with a smile on their face. I needed help after the first night, (needed to change rooms, and there were plenty of beds available) and the person in charge simply said: 'I can't help you. Those are the risks you take when you book a Hostel.' (I don't think that's an acceptable answer under any circumstance) and never change the linen unless you pay extra. Awful attitude.

The pillows were too flat. There needs to be more hooks for clothes/towels in the showers and a shelf to put shampoo bottles on! There also needs to be an individual hook for each bed in the dorms for towels so that we know which hook is for which bed and so that my towel doesn't have someone else's wet towel covering it all day. Cleaning products left out when no one was cleaning was odd. Better cleaning of the hairs trapped in the showers would be good. Otherwise, everything was great.

• 9th Jun 2014

It was a nice hostel. I arrived around 2 pm, and a staff took me to most of the facilities i could use and cleanliness as well quite good. I will use here again!

• 9th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

In a really good location just out of the heart of the city and easy to get to from earls court station just down the road. Earls court has everything you need anyway. It's friendly and clean. I would stay there again.

I was mostly disappointed in this hostel because while it was not nearly as nice as others I've stayed in, it was also the most expensive. The expense was most likely due to the location rather than the quality. While I realize you get what you pay for, compared to my other hostel experiences, this one was not great. The showers were way too small and flooded if you took longer than a 3 minute shower. The beds were very loud, the kitchen was small, and the wifi was terrible.

The hostel was OK, but the shower and toilet rooms were dirty. Also the eight bed female dorm that I stayed in was a bit dusty. I moved my hand over the shelf next to my bed and a cloud of dust flew off. However, I noticed a girl cleaning nearly every day that I was there, so I think it may just be the types of materials that the owners used to finish their interior. For example, white tile in the shower and toilet rooms are going to become very slippery and show every inch of mess.

The Saint James is a great hostel. The staff has a family feel and my group definitely spoke to them for both advice. The dining room and backyard area attracts backpackers and makes for a good environment in the evenings and mornings. The showers were okay. Breakfast costs around 5 euro if I remember correctly (Not worth it at all). Overall I would recommend it but due to the location, I would probably look for a different option myself.

The toilets and showers are very narrow.

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Portugal

Perfect place for my first hostel experience alone. Really good security, super clean, and beds comfy enough. Would recommend this to friends also for the location being so close to earls court tube.

Simple hostel but has all the essentials. Clean rooms and showers. All hostels in london are expensive.

The staff was very friendly. The only problem was that the Wifi only worked in the lobby.

I've been to other London hostels and this is the only one I've enjoyed and have returned to. The reception staff are amazingly helpful and friendly. The kitchen is always kept clean and there is a good area to meet others. The showers are a bit small and the beds are squeaky but still my favourite London hostel by far

Location is very good and staff is super friendly, will come again...

• 2nd Jun 2014

Enjoyed our stay. Friendly staff. Good value. Toilets and showers could do with more attention and the bunk beds seriously need changing. Every time you moved an inch the metal springs made the worst noise ever. Not the best night sleep with 8 men in 1 room!

• 31st May 2014