Salmon Weir Hostel Reviews

3 St. Vincent Avenue, Woodquay, Galway, Ireland

The staff is what made this hostel amazing. Incredibly friendly. Very clean hostel. The only isdue I have with this hostdl is that the room was too crowded and hot, they squeeze as many beds in a room as possible that you cant walk in it without stepping on someone's things. Would be nice if thd big window could open to get cool air in. Loved the receptionist, friendly guy.hard working fellow

Very small room with a corner in it. Irritating that every time you left you had to leave your room key behind and when you came back you had to ring the bell and wait for them to open and give you your room key.

Room was very small and with the heat very stuffy...we had to open windows at night which meant the traffic outside became very loud...upset on a few occasions as lack of space to move was quite overwelming and caused some stress to our time away...staff were lovely though and everything else was ok just it was difficult to relax when in room

The door close at 3am and after this time we can not more entry at place. The rooms are too small.

The hostel is good in general (clean bathrooms, good showers, beds and kitchen). Negative point: have time to close (3 in the night), so you cannot enjoy the night until the end.

• 28th Jun 2014

Really lovely stay, staff were really relaxed. Just one thing was annoying that we did not have a key to front door as had t obe back by three in the morning as we would have been locked out otherwise! and one of the showers was a little small! Apart from that really lovely and the price is very cheap :)

• 30th May 2014

The non-present Irish owner seems to have the hostel only as an investment venture and has minimal facilities. The French cew managing the hostel gets the high remarks.

Very kind and helpful staff. Small hostel with nice atmosphere. We spent night at double bed private room and even though weather was not so cold the heaters were on which was comfy.

Great hostel! Beds are comfortable, showers & toilets very clean, and it was easy to meet new people in the lounge & kitchen areas

We staied in a 6 bed bedroom and it was really small, se could not stand in the room all at the same time. But the people there is so nice, so receptive that it did not bothered us at all. There is no breakfast included but there is a lot of supermarkets near the hostel and they have an amazing kitchen. The place is good value for money and the staff is amazing. The location is great.

Great hostel, good located!

This is the right hostel to stay in Galway. It's very close to the canal and only a 10 minutes walk from the central pub area.

We spent four days in this hostel and we had a great time. I would to highlight the amability of the staff, specially Don and Xavi. We received advice, recommendations and different options to enjoye the city of Galway. The hostel atmosphere is fantastic and comfortable.

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Spain

The rooms didn't lock, so whilst the front door was monitored by staff, anyone in the hostel can go into your room. However, they do provide large lockers in all the rooms. The staff were unable to book tours for us but they do offer pamphlets so they do provide a bit of information and a city map. The bathrooms were pretty clean. It is close to Shop Street, only a 5 minute walk away. There are two kitchens which are well-equipped.

Nice hostel close to the city center!

I loved this hostel. It was warm and welcoming and full of interesting people!

• 21st Mar 2014

The staff was friendly and nice but the room (twin beds) was so tiny, we almost couldn't access to the window ! Without any heating system, i was cold.

• 19th Mar 2014

I loved this hostel!! the staff and people are very nice and friendly. If I ever go back to galway I'm definitely staying here again!!!

I only stayed at Salmon Weir one night, and I am pretty grateful about it. I dropped off my stuff mid afternoon, and the receptionist forgot minor things like to tell me where my room was. I didn't get a key or keycard of any sort, no pass saying I was in the hostel, and there was no lock on the dorm door. Then when I returned at roughly 3 am on st. patricks day, I just rang the doorbell, was let in by a person I'd never seen before and allowed to go to my dorm, no questions asked.

So this was by far the least secure hostel I've stayed in- at 2 am on st. Pattys day I rang the door bell and a receptionist id never seen let me in no questions asked, and there were no locks on the dorm rooms either. Nothing bad happened, but I'm glad I was only there one night