Sam�S VIP Hostel San Gil Reviews

Cr 10 12-33 Top Floor, San Gil, Colombia

For me this has been one of the best hostels I have stayed at in Colombia. Really clean and at a great location on the main square. The hostel has really nice facilities, big kitchen and a pool. Atmosphere is pretty chilled but I think that's best for San Gil where you ll be involved in lots of outdoor activities during the day. All bars and restaurants are anyway very close to the hostel. And try the steak at Sam´s! Quite cheap and really good

nice staff, great location, clean & big room :-)

Had a short (but great) stay at Sam's VIP hostel. I arrived midday and had let the receptionist know I was interested in rappelling - apparently there was a bus headed that way within 15 minutes of my arrival so she set it up for me right away. There wasn't much going on in the hostel when I was there so the atmosphere was subpar, but I'm sure when there are more people, it's more enjoyable. Clean, great and welcoming staff - would definitely recommend.

• 30th Sep 2014

Great Location!

Amazing balcony looking over the plaza - really good staff and a well equipped kitchen to home-cook. Would recommend it.

Lovely hostel, go have à steak at Sam's Restaurant!

Cool, clean and quality location!

The hostel is in the perfect location in the main square. It is fitted with two kitchens, one on each floor, the biggest being on the top floor. It has the usual type of pots and pans you would except from most hostels, all the frying pans are silver with no sign of the non stick coating type thing, but its not an issue really. There is a good atmosphere in the evening with most people hanging out in the reception/bar/terrace area having a few beers. Strongly recommend it!!

Really great hostel! Perfect location overlooking the main square. This hostel has it all. Staff were really helpful and multi-lingual. Good kitchen, awesome balcony in the sun. Pool at the back too. The computers were all a bit lame and wifi not great but id definately recommend this place and stay here again!

Sam's is incredibly friendly and welcoming, with a sociable but not at all rowdy atmosphere. Great place to meet people and organise any activity you can think of. The staff know you by name and are very knowledgable - Joanna convinced me to go rafting on the Rio Suarez despite my fears and it was a brilliant experience. The kitchen is amazing. The private room was big, with a huge bed, and extremely clean. A safe in reception would be a plus when checking out before an evening departure. 5*!

Nice hostel, good facilities (although I wish they had more showers available), but on the whole, really enjoyed our stay. There were two shared kitchens, and I loved the fact that they had complimentary fresh fruit cut on the common table, and tea and coffee provided (it just gave the place a more relaxed and homely feel). Joanna (the staff member) was very helpful. Couldn't be happier with the location - out room had a view of the park and lots of restaurants and markets nearby. :)

A very nice place which offers great tours! We definitely recommend it!

Great place located at the main square with small rooftop pool at the backside and terrace at the front that views at the square. Friendly and very helpful staff (you can make reservations for bustrips at the reception desk!), good kitchen and a fridge with various ice cold drinks! They also own a restaurant a street away from the square which offers full plates for very reasonable prices, and you can order the region-famous ant sauce here.

Great hostel, great location, friendly and helpful staff. All activities can be booked at the front desk which makes things simple. Only had private rooms available for 40,000 pp which is definately on the $$ side. Rooms were ok, clean , great washrooms. Batteries on safe were dead, and the fan didn't work (didnt bother us at at all, but I believe if you are going to offer extras, they should be functional. Communal kitchen was best ive seen in central/south america hands down!!!

It was a lovely clean and quiet hostel beside the plaza. Bathrooms were great, mosquitos weren't. The staff gave us wrong information about getting a bus to Villa de Leyva and our journey took 7 hours instead of 3 hours. Good security for getting in and out of the hostel. There were lockers outside the rooms for valuables but each room was locked and those staying in their room had a key.

Can't say enough good things about this place. The staff were great, more activities to choose from than you can think of, perfect location, clean rooms, comfy beds, lockers for important items, two kitchen areas, balcony, great atmosphere...probably the best hostel I've stayed in whilst in SA.

Great hostel, excellent environment and there are a plethora of activities to choose from at the front desk. Some staff speak English, but mostly Spanish, though it's pretty easy to get what you need. The location is great, as it sits right in front of the square where you'll find cute cafes and restaurants. It's also a short walk to the large mall in the area.

I really recommand everyone traveling in San Gil to stay at Sam's!

• 21st Jul 2014

Great central hostel if you want to relax for a few days and do activities during the day. Not really a sociable atmosphere. The "bar" was non-existant, you can buy beers at reception if you like but that's it. It was very secure and clean and the staff, mainly Joanna were very helpful. We had a double private room, it was nice but the bed had a dip in it and was very uncomfortable. Also there was no ceiling fan, just a plug in one which didn't do much. The pool and front terrace were great.

Loved our stay at Sams! It was the best hostel we stayed at during our trip through Colombia. The staff were cheerful and helpful with a great knowledge of the area, pointing us towards the fantastic eateries around the square the hostel is located. The square is full of people at all times, and is lovely to look out over from the balcony. It was easy to book all our activities at the front desk (the main reason we went to San Gil) and had a bright, clean, relaxed and social vibe. Loved!!

• 2nd Jul 2014