Samba Green Hostel Reviews

Rua Alvaro Ramos, 394, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I would seriously considering going back to Rio JUST so I can stay longer at samba green. AMAZING staff and fellow guests, so nice atmosphere, you feel so welcome. Carlos welcomes everyone with a big smile and is just wonderful (needs to practice his coffee-making thou;) ❤) Rooms are very clean and the staff always helps you with anything u might want (mosquitospray, hairdryer, additional fan..) breakfast is so good for the price you're paying. GO TO RIO AND VISIT THIS HOSTEL. NOW. Love- Moa ❤

• 25th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

This hostel was so friendly!! It was my very first time in a hostel, what a great experience!!! Carlos and his staff are soo friendly and helpful!! The location is quiet, so don´´t expect a close walk to Copacabana or Lapa. I liked the feel. My only suggestion is to maybe have some board games or other things for guests to do on a slower, quieter night. I will be back !

We had an awesome time at the hostel. The breakfast was really nice and it is easy to discover the city from there. The atmosphere is great at the hostel and we have meet nice people. We really liked the Caipirinha nights on thursday, because of the free and tasty drinks. Special thanks to Carlos who is such a nice guy and to the friendly staff who made us feel like home. We already miss the time we had and would definitly stay there again.

i really enjoyed the stayed in the Samba Greeb hostel,i have arrived on the carnival period and i had an amazing time,i felt the good vibe right away and thanks of the Personal staff i got to know everyone so quick,that is the first thing that i have noticed as i stepped in,they made me feel at home right away and always ready to help,the location it just great,near from both the beach and city center,and the cleaning staff is just the nicest person ever..i'd recommend to all,no doubts stay here

• 4th Mar 2014

It is an OK hostel with friendly staff in a safe area of Rio. It is in a building that has been quickly renovated a couple of years ago, and looks like not much effort has been put into it to keep facilities well maintained. Rooms remain unlocked all the time, but provides good lockers (own lock required). People and staff were nice but not a very clean place. Too expensive for what it currently offers.

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE! 1) the owner was under the influence of alcohol when we checked in! 2) Staff and guests very loud, late into the night. 3) Rooms so hot, impossible to sleep. 4) Bathrooms REALLY dirty, where people had been ill, plus blocked toilets, broken toilet doors and blocked sinks...disgusting!! 5) Breakfast was poor, not enough supply for all people staying. Worst place we stayed, in our 7 week trip around Brazil. we couldn't wait to check out.

Except the manger know one was really helpful with tourist staff, how to get around options

Carlos and his staff were amazing .the hostel has a great breakfast and the hostel is cleaned every day .They do anything for you even had a free drinks night and BBQ made my stay here so much fun .thanks guys

I ha a fantastic stay here, great area for seeing all parts of the city, really friendly and helpful staff and had and an amazing time at carnival. I was travelling alone and it was so easy to make friends with both the staff and fellow travellers- the atmosphere was great and I would recommend to all. Definitely stay here.

• 24th Feb 2014

Really nice hostel on a budget. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable, cleanliness is very good and good location in walking distance to metros to get to all main attractions. Although no air cons in the bedroom meant they were very hot and wifi wasn't great but overall really good place to stay.

I had such a great time here. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. There is a caipirinha party everyweek and free appetizers. They also give out vip tickets to clubs and parties and are always up for doing something in Rio with you. Definitely stay here.

Good price-quality hostel to stay. Not a "great" atmosphere as there are no nice comunity areas. All in all, decent hostel.

Excelente! Conoci al dueno del hostel CArlos y el nos ayudo muchoi en nuestra estadia en el hostel! Secure good location al clean! Good Breakfast and good vives! No necesita mas! Gracias a Felipe tambien! Saludos

Samba green was a amazing hostel! The staff is warm and friendly with a lot if information about the city. T There is a perfect balance of fun and relaxation which puts all the guests in good spirits. I met amazing people at Samba Green and instantly formed a family away from home! Botofogo is a lovely nieghborhood. You get to see the flow of community life while being still very close to main tourist attractions. The place is clean and colorful! Breakfast is good. No complaints :)

Staff was very friendly. Rooms were musty. If you want a quit night, do not stay here.

I absolutely loved Samba Green. The staff was lovely and Carlos the owner is a genius! He was like a big daddy, making sure everyone was comfortable and having fun. He is constantly looking for feedback to improve his hostel and make your experience better. The dorms were very good, bathroom usually excelent but the kitchen could use some work, mainly because its a bit small and the dining terrace was nice and clean. I met so many wonderful people at Samba Green and I would definitely go back!

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Iceland

Left as soon as I came as I realised the dorm room didn't have AC or a ventilator (during Rio's hottest season!). Staff were nice and helped us book another hostel. Tiny reception/communal area from what I saw. Good perk was that they organise activities everyday free for guests like volleyball beach matches and taking guests out at night!

Excellent Hostel! Clean, safe and fun. I must sound like a bot, or like somebody who's been paid to say these things, but I really loved Samba Green. The staff is great, each and every one of those guys. Helpful, funny and hard-working. The rooms are clean and spacious. The mattress are very comfortable (which is really important for a traveler). Breakfast is good, not great. It's located in a nice street, a little far from the beach, but that's OK too. It's a beautiful place to meet people!

Being used to pay smaller prices to stay in hostels I was expectecting a minimum of standard. The bathroom was always very dirty, impossible to use some times, we also had no electricity for 3 nights, it was impossible to sleep because of the heat, it also became impossible to take a shower because there was no water running. I started wondering what I was paying for since I could neither sleep nor wash... The staff kind and helpful.

Hi Sophie, thanks for the review. I think you became a bit sad with us because Rio de Janeiro was without electricity for ONE night, and it made us without water for ONE night. I feel really sorry for that because I couldn’t solve the problem :). Hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us and I promise that I will give you more attention next time :). I wish you have a wonderful trip. Big kisses. Carlos Aires :)

Well, I´ve been traveling around the world and I can tell this was the greatest hostel I´ve been until now ! There was a great open bar party with a lot of food in the hostel and after that the staff went with us until Copacabana beach to see the fireworks! Bathroom are big and always very clean, just as the other hostel common spaces, they have roms with air conditioners and othe plenty of fans. One night two fans couldn´t work after a power problem and the owner went off to buy new fans,great!

• 27th Dec 2013