Samba Green Hostel Reviews

Rua Alvaro Ramos, 394, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Staff were absolutely amazing, helped us with everything we needed and were always friendly. Breakfast was good, rooms and bathrooms were clean, and there were lockers in the rooms to place your bags. The showers were the best we've had in Brazil! Highly recommend and would definitely stay here again.

I want to mention specialty to the staff Anes and Fillip if i didn't get it wrong. They were both great staff friendly and helpful.

The most expensive hostel that I have paid and certainly the worst of my whole Worldcup trip in Brasil. The staff was too busy playing Candycrush, left people waiting at the front desk. He wasn't really friendly or helpful at all. Normally I wouldn't be complaining but considering the high price, the room was really small, the toilet are non functionning and dirty (broken doors, blocked toilet, no toilet paper), Poor breakfast. I was there during the weekend and the ambiance is plain dead.

Ageing building and worn fittings that need an upgrade or at least a fresh coat of paint. It waaa a busy time around the FIFA WC final so things may have been less tidy than usual.

The hostel price-gouged it's guests during the World Cup, but did not offer any additional services or amenities. I would not recommend staying at a hostel that treats it's guests like cash cows.

Best: staff! Really felt like they wanted to get to know you and have fun. Some were more knowledgeable than others, so you learned the rotations so you can avoid the not so helpful ones. The owner, Carlos, made appearances And did most tours in the afternoon. I never got a tour, they simply complained 6 am was to early And I needed to wait for check in. Worst: minimal breakfast that ALWAYS ran out. Cold showers or water pressure issues! Toilets were all shared unisex and always plugged! Wifi

I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 night stay at Samba Green. It had a very nice open air sort of atmosphere and its location to Copacabana and other Rio hotspots was ideal. The staff was extremely friendly and reliable. Overall a great stay.

• 30th Jun 2014

The beds were too noisy; I see many hostels which dont give water for free where is a basic stuff, no issue if they put a filter for the tap water.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Uruguay

Freaking awsome hostel, all stuff is really good, i bean there for The world cup and is just amazing that hostel, close to everything, safe, nice envirnoment... Defenitly I'm gonna be back!

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Colombia

I stayed during the world cup

first experience at a hostel and what a great way to start. the Staff was very helpful. they gave me a tour and showed me how the whole system works. the front desk people, Philip, Carlos, Jefferson and (forgot one more, sorry!) were all very helpful with directions, how to get to specific locations via the safest way to travel for tourists while using public transportation saving money. Very clean. Cameras everywhere in the public area. All the people that stayed there also very welcoming.

• 24th Jun 2014
  • rickdlt773248
  • Mexico

The rooms in the basement are really noisy because of the proximity of the street, it can be an obstacle to a good sleep. The location of the hostel depends on the trip you want to do in Rio, it's an easy access to the beach, Pao do Acucar and has a metro station not so far away. But for party, not the best location. Bad point : they completely exaggerated the price of the night during the world cup, it was a real larceny ...

Only thing, the wifi is not good. About staffs, the kid in the early morning shift, never see him smile, when we aks something, it seems hard to him to move his mouth. The rest are nice.

Samba Green Hostel was so perfect for my Rio/Worldcup stay. It was conveniently located near restaurants, markets, metro station, beach, ATM in walking distance from the hostel. The room we stayed in was perfect and even had a fridge in the room. The staff was absolutely amazing Carlos the owner was so helpful and nice. Gui another staff member who was so sweet helped me change my flight and speak to the airline over the phone. Overall great location, clean rooms, amazing staff. Great place!!!

• 15th Jun 2014

I didn't realize how lucky I was to have stumbled upon Samba Green Hostel!! Not until I was literally holding myself from crying 3.5 wks later, when I was packing up! Samba Green is that little haven every traveler looks for in an adventure, you could say. From the moment you walk in, you are immediately embraced, then showered with hugs and kisses from such a wonderful staff. My time at Samba Green was spectacular, thanks to Carlos' incredible team! You guys are my family! I'll be back soon! :)

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Tanzania

Had an excellent worldcup stay at samba.thank you to Carlos and his staff from the crazy south africans who braaied and partied till the morn in the hostel.would recommend samba.great location.great staff.

• 12th Jun 2014
  • South Africa

The hostel staff (Carlos, Felipe, Guilherme

Superb staff (Felipi rocks) and great at organizing things for guests.

My room was in the basement which was dark and dingy with hardly any space to put anything. Other rooms had 3 tiered bunk beds which looked awful! Theres a tiny kitchen and outdoor area both are quite small. About a 10 minnute walk from the metro in botafogo which is good. On the plus side, wifi was good as was the free breakfast. Probably wouldnt stay here again though, would be better to stay closer to copacabana where everything is happening.

I had a fantastic experience both times I stayed here. The staff are brilliant and go that extra mile to help out, they chat and chill with you and advise you on the best places to go. The place is nicely decorated and clean, with good toilets and showers. Its location means it is in the centre of all the main areas and is very safe. Can't praise this place highly enough. Improvements would be bigger kitchen and less squeaky beds.

• 5th Jun 2014