Samba Green Hostel Reviews

Rua Alvaro Ramos, 394, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Samba Green is a really great hostel. The staff go out of their way to make sure you have a good time and will help you out with anything they can; maps, directions, advice on attractions, bars, beaches, they know a lot about Rio! It's a really good place to meet other backpackers. The breakfast is good. There's a kitchen to use which is always useful. Carlos the owner is amazing and makes the place what it is, I'll be forever grateful for him spending the afternoon in hospital with me. Hannah x

• 4th Jun 2015
  • Howen24

The best hostel in Rio for me. it felt like a home the entire time I stayed. Carlos and the team are amazing, I would stay forever if I could.

• 4th Jun 2015

Great place to stay thanks to Carlos, Vicente, Mayara, Alemao and the hosts I was lucky to meet, Leonardo, Leo, Hannah, Michelle, Vessel, Sélin, Allack.

By far the funnest hostel I've had the pleasure of staying in. Carlos creates a warm atmosphere and treats everyone like family. Clean bathrooms, great location, and helpful staff.

amazing hostel staff are really cool as is the owner Carlos, only shame is that some of the equipment (pots and pans etc) are a bit old and it would be nice to have these upgraded.

It's location in Botafogo isn't too bad, a bit quieter and close enough to the subway. During the low season it was very quiet here. Which was fine, although it would be been nice to socialize a bit more. Plenty of large lockers inside and oustide the rooms. Facilities were basic but sufficient. Carlos (owner) was great. He gave a lot of really useful advice and I followed his recommendations with great success several times.

I'm from Rio so I know many places in there to stay and neighbourghoods and Samba Green has a great service for the money in a nice location in Rio. The beds were good (spacious and comfy), there were a good fan, decent breakfast (prepare fresh till a good time) and a atmosphere amazing for backpackers. I visited there with a friend, but I would feel easily blended in if I were by myself. Carlos is an amazing manager! He and his team provide all the help we needed. Totally recommend!

The hostel was nice, and the staff were very helpful and friendly people. A good choice if you want to socialize and party. 10-15 min walk to the metro, but there are buses leaving close by that can take you to Copacabana etc. Good facilities and clean.

A very friendly and quieter hostel located in the residential neighborhood of Botafogo. It's about a 25 minute walk to Copacabana beach or Sugar Loaf! Plenty of restaurants and a grocery store nearby. The wifi was pretty spotty and refused to work when it rained. Showers were a little weak and dirty as well. The friendly staff made up for these minor setbacks though! I would definitely come back here :)

Great, friendly staff that were super helpful by helping me manage with the airport and airlines in recovering my lost bags in record time! The atmosphere of the hostel is also great - I wish I had more time and was there under less stressful circumstances, it would have been wonderful!

• 22nd Apr 2015

If you have alergy, never get room number 8. The walls are full of mold. Location is good. Breakfast is poor.

Quirky rooms and really helpful staff, but fairly quiet when we stayed midweek

This.place.ROCKS! Good location, clean, great atmosphere and AMAZING staff! Carlos is THE person to know when staying in Rio! Throw away your lonely planet guide and listen to the man!

It´s a great place to stay in Rio. It´s very easy to meet new people there and to experience the culture of the city. Carlos can give great tips about were to spend the day and were to eat. Caipirinha night just makes the stay there even better.

Carlos and the other staff members are very helpful and knowledgeable about Rio. Samba green is in Botofogo which is an excellent area of Rio to stay in.

• 31st Mar 2015

Clean, but basic.

Great hostel, good location, walk to copacabana or the metro to get everywhere. Nice neighbourhood with supermarkets, bars nearby. Also felt really safe walking at night in this area. Staff at the hostel are really friendly and can help you with all questions. Definately come again if I visit Rio in the future.

This hostel is all about the owner Carlos, lovely guy, very passionate and helpful about all things Rio. Made our stay much better. Other staff not so great though and hostel is a bit old looking and could do with some paint and some new bedsheets.

Samba Green is the perfect hostel if you are looking to get the full Rio de Janerio experience. The staff were all extremely nice, helpful and knowledgable, especially the owner Carlos. He is always more than willing to spend time talking about local events, restaurants and sights to see. He is truly exceptional at what he does! Botafogo is a great, safe local neighbourhood to stay in... plus it is only a 15 minute walk to Sugar loaf or Copacabana beach. I will definitely stay here again!

• 20th Mar 2015

Maia and Carlos were very helpful! As a solo female traveler, I felt very taken care of during my stay.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels